WLS..Dilemma...

• Hi Everyone! I am new here, and have about a million questions! I went to my first visit today with a well known WLS doctor here in Houston, and I am so confused. I have been told I am a canidate for the lapband (Which is my 1st choice, less invasive, less time in recovery etc..etc) I want to lose atleast 150pds. However, even though I am a canidate for the band, I was wondering am I wasting my time? Is it a better choice to move ahead with the actual bypass? (Which it what he seemed to think) I have been against having the bypass because it's so major. He said I maybe have a 1 in 4 chance of losing the weight that I want to lose with the banding. Is this true? Or is it more or less him pressuring me to make a big leap off into the deep end? I have two beautiful babies that are my life, and I want to be healthier for them, and for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am just too confused to make this decision without some input from others who have been on both sides of the fence!
  • Hi Jen and

Wow, thats a question only you can answer. The only thing I can say to you is follow your heart, go with your instincts and don't let any one make that decision for you. I don't know about the 1 in 4 chance, didn't hear that one but who knows what statistics are saying. I also chose the band b/c it was less invasive, and I don't regret it one bit. I am not at goal because of the foods I choose to eat but I am very happy.

Everyone is different darling and your going to get the good, the bad and the ugly with every WLS, so it just boils down to what YOU want.

BTW, I know many folks who are doing wonderful with the band, I know many folks who are doing wonderful with GBP ... and vice verse. Both are a tool, both can help you succeed and both you can gain weight with.

Good luck sweetie, and I wish I could give you the words you want to hear but I think you already know what to do.

• I highly recommend you research ALL your options - there is more to WLS than the band or the RNY. I would look into the VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) and the DS (duodenal switch) as well before making a decision.

Statistics (and they are just that, statistics - some people will do better, and some will do worse) are not great for the band, and it's only "less invasive" assuming nothing ever happens that it needs to be removed (erosion, slippage, disconnecting from the port, inadequate results requiring revision, etc.), which is a more complicated procedure. I'm not trying to scare you nor lead you to believe everyone who gets a band has such complications, but it is something to consider when evaluating risks.

Your surgeon may not do all of these procedures, so you will have to do the research yourself. PubMed is a fabulous place to start for the least biased clinical information available for free. I know a great site for DS info is www.dsfacts.com. I haven't been able to find a similar site for the VSG (all the ones I've seen seem to be surgeon's sites or primarily just a message board), but there may be one if you do a bit of digging. And then there's ObesityHelp.com where all surgery types are included (mods, let me know if we're not allowed to post this one since they have a potentially "competing" message board community).
  • Decision making is never easy, Jen, so please PLEASE take your time and get the facts and make the right decision for YOU. MANY people do GREAT with the lapband, but there are quite a few who work REALLY HARD at failing it. and they work REALLY HARD at failing every other WLS form out there.

it's a head thing - with ANY of these surgeries, you can do GREAT or not.

With the lapband, you'll have to get regular fills - with the bypass and DS, you don't. if you live far from your doc, this COULD MAYBE be a consideration for you.

Lower risk of vitamin deficiencies with the lapband - greater risk with the others. BUT. these vitamin deficiencies are GENERALLY [not always!] easy to handle. i have a friend in Phoenix [RNY] who's 'enjoying' another round of intravenous iron infusions.

keep asking Qs!!!!!
  • Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I have alot to consider, I can't really let my doc make my decision for me. This is one to be made by me and only me. God will lead me where I am supposed to be I suppose! Still isn't easy though! LOL
  • Quote: Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I have alot to consider, I can't really let my doc make my decision for me. This is one to be made by me and only me. God will lead me where I am supposed to be I suppose! Still isn't easy though! LOL
    yes, I believe you are right Jen.
  • Jen~
    With you living close to Houston there are alot of Dr. in the area that do WL surgeries.
    You didn't mention which type of insurance you have but some insurance companies don't cover all of the types of WLS, so you might want to make sure your insurance is going to cover it. (unless you are going to private pay then you have all kinds of choices)
    This is a great place to ask questions and there are alot of other places to look online as well. Just make sure you are the one making the decision and not your Dr. making it for you.
    mgf~
  • Wow, that is tough. Your doctor may be basing his decision on any comorbidities or health problems you may have. Some people with certain health problems may do better with one method that with another. Ask your doctor why he decided on what he recommends. Ask if he has another, equal alternative.
  • Research all of your options. Listen to everyone then follow your heart.

I was so sure I wanted LapBand. after talking to the doctor and taking into consideration what my eating style is (I love sweets and I love to graze) and the amount of weight I need to lose (about 120 pounds total) I changed my choice to RNY.

doctor agreed but had I wanted Lapband he would have done that for me too.
  • My insurance does cover it! Woo!! I have to see what hoops I have to jump through first. I am seeing Dr.Felix Speigel, has anyone heard anything about him. After thinking about what he said he's right. I am not going to do as well as I would hope with the band. So, I am going for the RNY. Sweets are weakness too so I know I will lose alot more having those restricted!
  • Quote: Sweets are weakness too so I know I will lose alot more having those restricted!
    Be prepared that not all RNY patients experience dumping from sugar (which is what I assume you are referring to here). I've heard many RNYers quote a statistic that only about 40% of RNYers have dumping in the long term. Sweets should be kept to a minimum after ANY surgery (or without, hehe), but don't rely 100% on the surgery to control that aspect for you.
  • I chose the RNY too. We all chose different surgeries for different reasons...Jill is a avid DS person, is doing well with it...Leenie the Band...etc. I'm glad that having all the opinions presented here helped you come to a decision. Good for you honey.

Remember any decision along the way is not set in stone, Insurance companies can suck lemons at times, it's never the easy way out and we are all here to you support you through the inevitable roller coaster you will be on during the approval, pre and post surgery ride!

Angela
  • I concur with the suggestions to make sure you research all of your options, before making a decision. The doctor you see will steer you to the surgeries he performs, and won't tell you anything about the ones he doesn't. It is your body and you will have to live with the results of the surgery, so it's up to you to make the choice.

Good luck!