Ughhh....Boys

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is not a thread to complain about our boyfriends/husbands/significant others/whatever (though mine hasn't called me in a week and I'm angry) rather it's to whine about how much easier it seems to be for them to lose weight. My brother began July about the same amount overweight I am, 35ish pounds. In the time that I've dropped from 192 to 185 (7 pounds) he's gone from about 216 to 200 (16! More than double!!).

How is this fair!?

I know he doesn't work out more than me, I run frequently and occasionally lift weights. About once a week he decides to lift, spends an hour or so fiddling around, and is done.

Thoughts? Sympathies? Commiserations?
  • DH has lost 100+ pounds over the 7 years we've been together and, no, he hasn't actually been trying to lose weight. Apparently for him, working a night shift on his feet part-time and cutting back to 1-2 meals (even if they are 2,000+ calorie fast food meals!) is enough.

I try to keep in mind that I'm way healthier than he is from the exercise, fruits and veggies, etc - even if he has lost more weight - but it's tough!!! Sometimes I'm so jealous
  • Ughn, I knooow. It always seems so much easier for my brother to drop weight... he used to be a bit pudgy, dropped a tonne of weight down to a mildly frightening low, but now has a hard time keeping weight on. Every year when he does lent, and cuts out beer... he drops 10 more lbs until his stomach gets all freakishly flat again. Let's be brutally honest, I'd prefer to have a hard time keeping weight ON that I would have a hard time keeping it off. Poor thing, gets to eat crap and drink beer. *exaggerated eye roll*
  • Yea I can totally relate in the frustration. When my BF and I started dating over 5 years ago, he weighed a more than 300 lbs (and more than me). Once I lost about 40 lbs, he got really motivated and not only lost really fast, but surpassed me. I think it took him like 3 months to do what it took me like 8-9 months to accomplish. Hes been really good about being able to keep it off without too much effort on his part. But here I am again, gaining 40 lbs in the last 2 years. UGH!
  • I found out yesterday that my 5'11" brother weighs 136. I told him I hated him and he was genuinely confused.
  • It's hormones- all they have is testosterone while we've got 9 million different ones that make weight loss much harder!

My husband blinks and loses 5 lbs grr
  • So maybe those of us with PCOS have a leg up on things, testosterone-wise?? Just kidding--but that would be sweet.
  • My husband....GOSH it makes me so mad! He can eat like a total pig and during the summer, when parts of his job are more physical, he can drop 20 pounds in literally a MONTH with no workout other than his job. Kills me...just kills me....
  • my bf is naturally skinny, and he's trying to gain weight,, and he eats and eats and has only managed to gain 10 lbs in 9 months. le sigh.
  • It sucks, I'm kind of excited to move out of this house so I don't have to stare at 3 150 lb guys (at 6'2, 5'11 and 5'8) stuff themselves and not gain weight.

Our bodies are designed to hold onto fat - you know, that whole child rearing thing. If we go below 10% body fat, our repro. organs don't work. That's why its so hard for us, we want to drop it and our bodies are like NONONONONONO WHAT ABOUT THE BABIES.
  • Quote: So maybe those of us with PCOS have a leg up on things, testosterone-wise?? Just kidding--but that would be sweet.
    I wish- nope instead all it does is make our hormones even MORE crazy than most other women... BOO PCOS.
  • Quote: Our bodies are designed to hold onto fat - you know, that whole child rearing thing. If we go below 10% body fat, our repro. organs don't work. That's why its so hard for us, we want to drop it and our bodies are like NONONONONONO WHAT ABOUT THE BABIES.
    I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Stupid body! No baby for you!

Well not for a longgg while at least
  • Haha. It's like those commercials for Slimshots. Those make me smile. The woman and her husband try to do little things to lose weight like stop drinking soda. The husband loses a substantial amount and she only loses in her boobs. It's funny. But, I agree. My boyfriend loses weight without even trying. (Though he still complains that he's fat. Which he's not. I think he's 5'7'' 140 pounds.)

Is anyone else bigger than their feller? I am and it sucks. I feel EXTRA big because the clothes that are too big for him he gives to me. A girl is supposed to be swimming in her boyfriend's clothes. Some of his won't even fit me.
  • Quote: Our bodies are designed to hold onto fat - you know, that whole child rearing thing. If we go below 10% body fat, our repro. organs don't work. That's why its so hard for us, we want to drop it and our bodies are like NONONONONONO WHAT ABOUT THE BABIES.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO! DO NOT WANT BABIES!!!!!! BABIES CAN WAIT TILL WHEN I WANT THEM AND THEN GET ME FAT!

And by the way, I have a male friend who is about 19 and has been morbidly obese the entire time I've known him.. he really doesn't eat that much. He has no interest in food and only eats when food is presented to him. If he's not a secret binger I have NO idea how he's morbidly obese, considering I'd be surprised if he eats more than 2,000 calories a day. So not ALL guys are like that.

My brother is also as skinny as a rail and he eats a HUGE dinner. But it doesn't upset me much.. he NEVER snacks and has no attachments to food. He really doesn't eat THAT much; it just seems like it because he eats it all at once,
  • It gets them eventually. All three of my brothers were rail thin when they were young and ate like horses. Now, all of them have hit 32 or 33 and blew up. I'll admit it, I laughed.
    And recently, my 5 year high school reunion came up and most of the guys there had definitely gained a substantial amount of weight. Made me want laugh sooo much .