is it true eating slowly makes you get fuller quickly?

• Hi

i have a problem of over eating.

So i am going to try eating very slowly and small bites.

Will his help me get fuller quickly?

At the moment im eating a chickpea salad.
  • It does me. Finishing slower gives your brain a chance to register that you've had enough food. And lately, I've felt like actual slow eating itself (time between bites) makes a difference.
  • You don't get fuller, but your brain registers it better as Julie said. It is also better for the digestion process.
  • It actually takes your stomach quite a while to tell the brain "Hey I'm full!" I've heard you should try to make your meals stretch out to take 15 minutes to eat at least. Obviously a granola bar will not take that long- but a full meal should I used to watch the clock, purposely put down my fork, take a drink, and so on, just to make sure my meal lasted long enough- now it comes more natural

I prefer to eat slow and my husband complains about it lol- but then again he's the kind who shovels his food so fast that all of a sudden he'll stop and be like OMG I'm STUFFED.
  • My dietitian told me it takes your 20 minutes for your brain to register that you are actually "full". Not - i'm stuffed full, but the I have eaten a meal and am satisfied full.

Slowing down helps you also treat a meal like a MEAL. Thus leading you to snack less because your brain knows you already ate.

I get a huge glass of water with my meals and sip between bites. I tell myself I have to finish the glass of water before my last bite, works well.
  • little OT but I must have the most screwd up body. I get super full after 3 or 4 bites. I still finish my meal and then with in 5 minutes of leaving the table I'm starved and feel like I haven't eaten in weeks.
  • Too Full
    Quote: little OT but I must have the most screwd up body. I get super full after 3 or 4 bites. I still finish my meal and then with in 5 minutes of leaving the table I'm starved and feel like I haven't eaten in weeks.
    I think you are eating too fast . Try putting down your fork after each bite. Chew slowly, it will make a differance.
  • How could I be eating too fast if I'm full after 3 bites? Its hard to have eaten too fast when you haven't eaten eanything?