People dont get it.. i can't eat that

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Ok so I am on a lean protein, low carb type diet, and it works for me. So why the heck does everyone try to offer me yumm temptations like baked potatoes, mac n cheese, enchilladas..etc. My mom is the worst. "Hey we are having dinner tonight with the family can you come over.. spaghetti and garlic bread".... does anyone have a good way of avoiding these situations. I feel like I want to smack everyone around me. Why not just shove chocolate cake in my face while you're at it!
  • "I would love to come over mom, I will bring a dish to share with everyone"
    Code word, I would love to eat with you but I am bringing something that I can eat.

Never feel bad about turning down food, make sure people know that you just cant eat such and such, but they are more than welcome to try some of what your brought.
  • Why not look at it a different way? They aren't trying to feed you bad food, they want to spend time with you and they are simply serving what they've always served.

Say yes, and bring a big salad, some chicken and a fruit salad and have fun!
  • Quote: Why not look at it a different way? They aren't trying to feed you bad food, they want to spend time with you and they are simply serving what they've always served.

Say yes, and bring a big salad, some chicken and a fruit salad and have fun!
    I agree. They may know you're on a special diet, but they wan't your company. Take your own food and enjoy your family.
  • My aunt does this too me everytime! I work near her house so I often stop by around dinner time to vist with family and gab a little. My aunt, who really is just as sweet as pie, always has something sooo delicious but very fattening cooking in the oven. I always pack my own dinner and she's always offended! I try to tell her i just can't eat those delicious, mouth watering ribs but she thinks her cooking is perfectly good for her and her family so it's perfectly good for me!! I think the suggestions the other lady's made sound great!
  • Non thanks Mom I can't come over for dinner tonight, I have to shave my legs.
  • Whats up with the pic chickie??? You and Duff?Sorry, off topic, had to ask!!
  • While I'm cool with the BYO healthy dish to share stratagem, I feel compelled to ask would you TOTALLY fall off the wagon if you had just a tiny amount of spag? Get back on plan tomorrow.
  • It can affect the way some people burn fat. Also eating can be very emotionally charged for some people. So for a lot of people even having a little bit can affect them greatly.
  • Cebsme -

I am the kind of person that if I go off track a little, I tend to keep sliding downwards because my mind goes into a "well, I've already messed up today so it's okay to have all this other junk too" mode. So I work really hard to stay on a healthy plan as much as I possibly can. I have myself a "treat" food very rarely and normally is is a handful of potato chips or french fries and I am okay with that.
  • I feel like maybe you misunderstood my post. I was making a point in response to ANOthers post, that for some people yes it is a big deal, and can cause people to "fall off the wagon"
  • See if I didn't see my family everyday then I could understand bringing something to eat for myself and to share. and maybe I should have added that I do see them at least 4 days a week. Oh and to top it off I get to listen to my mother complain that she and my father are overweight and really need to do something about it.... then stop making food you shouldn't be eatting. Last night was Wolfgang Puck Mac N Cheese (at least 900 cal per serv) plus hamburgers and pinapple upsidedown cake for dessert. Goodness!
  • Quote: Whats up with the pic chickie??? You and Duff?Sorry, off topic, had to ask!!
    Harrismm Yes that is Chef Duff... LOVE HIM! I got to meet him when I worked for HSN and he was selling his cake pans.
  • Quote: See if I didn't see my family everyday then I could understand bringing something to eat for myself and to share. and maybe I should have added that I do see them at least 4 days a week. Oh and to top it off I get to listen to my mother complain that she and my father are overweight and really need to do something about it.... then stop making food you shouldn't be eatting. Last night was Wolfgang Puck Mac N Cheese (at least 900 cal per serv) plus hamburgers and pinapple upsidedown cake for dessert. Goodness!
    Can you invite them over some night for a super healthy and yummy meal? Just to show them that healthy food can be delicious.
  • Quote: I feel like maybe you misunderstood my post. I was making a point in response to ANOthers post, that for some people yes it is a big deal, and can cause people to "fall off the wagon"

No, I didn't misunderstand. I was just making a point in agreeance to what you said