What's Wrong With Churches?

You're on Page 3 of 8
Go to
  • THANKS GARY ~ for taking out the time to answer my ramblings. Yes, I am trying very hard to forget the past, and look foward to the future glories; and that is why we decided to go to my DH's church from now on. We are presently sending up prayers for my father as we always do ...

SnowWolf ~ All I can say is that I'm more interested in going to a church where they share GOD'S LOVE, not waste my time, pointing out my personal flaws or that of my family members ... I already know them, so get over it already!

But, I digress -- becuz we do know GOD and His lovely son, Jesus Christ, WE ARE ENLIGHTENED ALREADY! For HE IS THE LIGHT! And HE is in us; as is HIS love; and it is supposed to be in HIS churches through us ... (I have had some time to think about that one).

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ...
  • ROSEBUD sometimes I know people think I am telling them that they have to or should go to church to know "God"...but I never say that because I don't believe it. I have been around long enough to know that church is not for everybody...so many situations go wrong. However, I really feel if we are truly seeking a church home....God will leads us there.

When I went through my divorce 20 years ago I left my church for a period of time. It was difficult for me to go there when my ex still did. But no place else felt like home to me. I came back and never left...she did! for awhile...but came back...through all of the hardships our church was our home.

I thank my Pastor for telling me, the first day in our class to become a new member, that there are many Christian churches in our area, many Christian religions in our area....our Missouri Synod Lutheran Church doesn't hold the "key" to Heaven! That come from Jesus Christ.

I also remember him telling me that if you are not hearing God's Word preached from his mouth to get out and get out fast. He encouraged us to hear the sermon and research it in the Bible...if we didn't understand something he has always been there to clarify or direct us to where we can do our own research by ourselves or with a Bible study group.

I watched my sister become a member, a youth group leader with me, become a pre-school teacher there....then leave slowly...one Sunday at a time....always some excuse.

I saw my bil become a member the slowly leave....saying as soon as God gave him enough to provide for his family he would quit working Sundays.

He just never has figured out that God always gave him enough.

I watched my brother become a member the slowly leave....after many hours of extensive Bible studies and other programs he helped me with. He does go on occasion....my sister doesn't.

I have heard the excuses why people leave a church after a service or two and after many. I just try to encourage people to give it another try.

I don't have time tonight to share some of the uncomfortable situations I felt over the years in church. Maybe later...nothing that bad!...but if I stuck with those feelings about church I would have missed a lot in life.

Prayers for all ~ Gary
  • I wish your church was here in Texas , the town where I live Gary! I am still looking and will be going to the Cowboy Church this weekend , need to call my friend! I went to their website and it is awesome!
  • SnowWolf ~ All I can say is that I'm more interested in going to a church where they share GOD'S LOVE, not waste my time, pointing out my personal flaws or that of my family members ... I already know them, so get over it already!

But, I digress -- becuz we do know GOD and His lovely son, Jesus Christ, WE ARE ENLIGHTENED ALREADY! For HE IS THE LIGHT! And HE is in us; as is HIS love; and it is supposed to be in HIS churches through us ... (I have had some time to think about that one).

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ... [/QUOTE]

I agree, yeah I wanted to delete that post. I thought about it later and thought what the heck was I talking about? haha! I'm sorry, to be truthfull in the moment I was mad at people like that, that's why I was all fired up.

I don't know what I was trying to say, your so right! I wasn't um saying anyone wasn't enlightened...hmmm how to explain this. Please forgive me you guys I was speeking out in general and talking about no one. Does that make sense?

And EZMONEY, sorry- I guess I'm not explaining myself at all well. I wasn't talking about you, I'm sorry you thought I was, I was more rambling/talking to you, just thoughts.
    gez, I don't write well, I'm not talking about you all as in you in this thread but everyone, I use that context to much. I was just trying to express how I view inlightenment...guess I didn't explain it well at all.

Yep God is enlightenment...

but I just think differently from my experience... I think of enlightenment differently.

So anyway, I'm sorry for saying the wrong things.
  • SnowWolf

You are explaining yourself fine!

We all have trouble sharing our thoughts sometimes by posting

You have shared yours fine!

I was not offended...and WE all speak in general terms from time to time...mostly all the time

We are enjoying your thoughts...

Keep them coming!

PS....how's that geometry coming
  • SnowWolf ~ I agree with GARY -- don't be too hard on yourself; one thing I have learned for sure, is that the written word can be taken many ways. We have enjoyed sharing our thoughts and contemplations with you here.

Heck, even I thought that I sounded like I was complaining and whining too much. We had just had a bad experience recently, so that is where I was coming from. Once we had some time to remove ourselves from the situation and reflect awhile, we could see the whole matter much more clearly. Indeed, sometimes our emotions can get in the way, esp when dealing with family issues.

More importantly, we are very glad that you came by, and joined this thread; so do stick around and post whenever and however you want to.
  • Um thank you guys, very much. I just really dislike hurting people, I still don't think I understand what situations your talking about, and I guess it came out wrong. but thank you, I think I'm alittle emotional right now, you'll have to pardon me, and going back I realized I said things that I didn't trully believe, and was trying to help *sigh* but I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, god bless, and thank you for understanding that it was a messed up post. thanks, bothering people really bothers me, expecially on accident. I'm not usually so un-articiualt in what I'm trying to say. But what's done is done, and I've learned from it.

(I'm done with my summer school, I passed. A's and B's for all quarters. Thanks. )

thanks again

peace<3
  • SnowWolf ~ on passing your summer school classes; that is awesome! Have a great weekend, sweetie ...
  • Oh ,SnowWolf, Rosebud and Gary you three make me so proud to be in this group!
  • BOOTSIE we are proud to have you here.

SNOW WOLF...You have done nothing wrong. Thank you for being a part of this thread! Great work at summer school. My wife finished her last class of teaching summer school today.
  • i was born and raised and will die a roman catholic. i think that part of the reason people don't go to church is that they make other things a priority over going to church.
  • The biggest problem is that, for so many people who claim to be Christians, you really don't see much evidence of it in the way they live their lives. For example, I can't count the number of times I've been cut off in traffic by someone with a fish on their tailgate. Compare that to people who aren't religious but who are good because being good is the right thing to do, without pretense or a sense that they're better than others. I've been to plenty of churches, and there are good people who go there, but so many of them seem so wrapped up in their own thing that they don't seem to want to acknowledge that there's anything "unchristianlike" going on in the church or do anything about it. Politicians or people who are prominent in the community and say they're Christian are an example of that. They say or do mean things or cheat or lie or do something that, to me, is clearly morally objectionable, and yet they're still held up as wonderful people. I just don't get that. I know the whole drill of "Christians aren't perfect, they're just forgiven," but sometimes it seems like people use that as an excuse to not follow the very basic commandment of love. Or maybe people just don't get what it's all about, but they're so caught up in the trappings that they don't know it. At any rate, it's hard for me respect people who claim one set of values but embrace something completely different. It doesn't make them very enticing to be around.

If going to church helps someone be a better person, then I think that's great. But this is my honest answer about why I haven't felt the need to attend church in a long time. God is everywhere, and "church" happens on a daily basis throughout life, even seeing God through those who don't share my same beliefs.
  • I been there UFI, !
  • UFI & BOOTSIE ~ oh, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have actually had businessmen steal from me and then go to church to see them there; and one was in a high position in that church. We have to remember that some people go to church for other reasons than GOD -- some go there for social status, and some go there just for business connections and networking; kind of like a social-business club.

You could ask my DH how many times I have said to him -- some of these people think it's OK to "overtly" sin all week and that they can wipe it all clean just by going to church on Sunday. JESUS hated that kind of hypocrisy, and talked about it often.

It has taken some time, but I am trying to focus more on the benefits of going to a church of my choice; and I am trying not to let the things other people say and do interfere in my chance to enjoy going to church. I have decided to go when and if I want to, or feel up to it -- for our benefit, and not just becuz others think that we should go ...

It is sad, but true that not all of us have many choices to choose from; we live in a very small town, so we are limited. My DH decided to go back to his church and I go there with him now & then when I want to. On occasion, we may 'visit' another church of my choice for variety too.
  • UFI ...Thank you, I always enjoy your input.

I view things different from you sometimes When someone cuts me off, often here in southern California, I usually don't say "hey you Christian sticker...Rainbow sticker...democrat/republican sticker....world peace sticker...free Tibet sticker....you secular Person"...I usually say "why you idiot on your cell phone person!"...arrrghhhgghhh.

A true Christian knows that the way to heaven is not by "them being good"....yet we know that we are supposed to be good because that is what Christ asks of us. Yet when a Christian does sin...others like to point out that they did and shouldn't because they are Christians.

When I ask non-Christians if they are going to heaven, most (not all) say yes...when I ask why, they say because they are a good person.

Christians shouldn't use the "I'm forgiven and not perfect" excuse for sins...but then when we do we get tired of non-Christians pointing out our sins....for example...I have been known to cuss up a storm...very loudly!!! at work when I am PO'd....when I am done it doesn't take long for one of my guys to say..."Why are you yelling at us...I thought you were a Christian"..

since when did being a Christian not allow me to yell at my guys for being idiots! Especially since...being nice didn't work for the umpteenth time!

I have many reasons why I go to my church...here is one from today...it was a prayer in our bulletin for our service...

O Almighty and most merciful God, through Your great goodness, we pray that You keep us from all things that may hurt us, so that we may be ready in both body and soul to accomplish whatever things You want done in our lives, in our Church, and in our world; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, Our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen

If I wasn't there I would not have prayed that prayer. What I want in life is what He wants from me. I feel that when I am in church...I am closer to understanding that.

I go to church for me.

I am sorry for those that come upon you as hypocrites.

Some of my best friends are Christians...some of my best friends are not.

Some of the people I dislike the most are Christians...some are not.