Ideas for adding more fiber anyone?

• Hi everyone!!

I have a gallbladder problem that I use to control by eating lots of whole grain and high fiber things like bread and oatmeal and such.. I have been doing induction now for a few weeks and my gallbladder is starting to let me know that it is there again. Any suggestions on how I can get more fiber in without going over 20 carbs/day?

Also, are green beans and spaghetti squash allowed during induction? Couldn't find reference to them in NDR.

Thanks so much!!
  • Flaxseed....
  • Psyllium Husks, I believe its even recommended on atkins website. My dh uses it and he's a happy camper
  • On Induction you should be eating 12-15 carbs of allowed veggies & salad. For even more fiber, Dr. Atkins does recommend the psyllium husks Leenie mentioned. And as Shauna suggested, flaxseed is also an excellent source of fiber. The Induction friendly flaxseed muffin is a good way of working more fiber into your eating:

Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 packet splenda packet
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 1.5 net carbs.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

Green beans, as well as spaghetti squash are allowed during Induction. Green beans are listed as "string beans". A ½ cup of spaghetti squash is 2.0 net carbs.

• Splenda now makes packets with 1 gram of fiber in each packet. I got some.
  • Quote: Splenda now makes packets with 1 gram of fiber in each packet. I got some.
    Keep in mind, Splenda is limited on Atkins to 3 packets per day
  • Thanks everyone!! I will give it a try!!
  • I have some fiber tablets that I used for a few weeks when I started eating low carb - don't need them any more which is strange because I'm still not getting a lot of dietary fiber but my system seems to have adjusted. That said, I don't have gallbladder problems that I'm trying to manage.
  • I agree with Leenie, psyllium - it's great, lots & lots of fibre. Anything from a couple of teaspoons in a glass of water to a couple of tablespoons (depending on what you are used to).
  • I use Colonix from Dr. Nutra website. No sugar, starch, no artificial, all natural, ...

10 carb - 8 fiber = 2 net carbs.

It has really helped me get my 25 min fiber grams per day. You take a little scoop, put in about 6 oz of water (the colder the better), shake it up, and drink it down first thing in the morning.