Lemons and water

• I hear some people insist this helps with weight loss, and others say it's phooey.

The subject is lemon added to water.

And of course some say that you just also add honey with the lemon for it to work, and yet others insist it must be put in warm or hot water.

I'm considering getting a bottle of 'real lemon juice' and pour some in my cold water each time I drink - but would like to have a clearer idea if it actually works.

Thoughts?
  • I'm not sure it works but it tastes good... I love lemon water and i find it helps me drink enough water each if I add some lemon to it. I take a big pitcher and fill it with water then slice up a lemon and drop it in and let it sit in the fridge so it's nice and cold too. I also like it with limes or oranges.
  • I have made it a goal to drink more water each day, and I'm at the point where I can just gulp it down straight from the tap....but once in a while, I'll add a slice of lemon or lime to flavor it. This is probably more helpful if you drink tap water that has a slight taste to it, so the citrus flavor covers it up.

As far as whether it plays a direct role in weight loss, I don't know...but if adding something to your glass helps you keep yourself hydrated, then I say go for it!
  • After dinner i like to squeeze 1/2 a lime and a cup of hot water, it helps me feel full, and refreshed. I dont have any de-caff tea or i would also drink that but i find lime and lemons work well.
  • lemon juice can help with bowel movements I believe which is where the myth comes from. Lemon in water is good but it won't help you burn fat.
  • Not an expert, but I've heard this before as well. I would say it has some validity for some people, as those who like it will drink more water (we all know that helps) and less of other drinks (probably reducing calories). Double benefit. Also, the flavor to the water could also help some with appetite suppression for some people.
  • I get really sick of just plain old lemon in my water, so I either have soda water with lemon or ginger root and water. I love ginger root. I just put a couple of slices in a glass of ice water and it makes it taste so earthy and gives a little zing.
  • I don't think so. It may help in that it can help you get off of drinking soft drinks. If I get bored with water, I'll sometimes add a few drops of peppermint stevia or l'll add fresh lime juice. I have read that drinking lemon or lime in your water a half hour before eating will aid in digestion. It's recommended in "You are what you eat" and "The Cure". They have to be fresh fruit. Not the stuff in the lemon shaped plastic.
  • Does your digestion need aiding though? Are you having problems with stuff that goes in one end, not going out the other end in a reasonable amount of time without pain?
  • Ilove watching the show "you are what you eat" wanting the book is on my wish list
  • the experts say lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach is huge digestive/detoxification aid

"Drinking lemon water in the morning will stimulate the body's natural cleansing and detoxifying processes. Lemons are alkalizing (despite being perceived as acidic) in the body, thus bringing your inner chemistry into pH balance."

“Lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile, and is very good in cases of malaria. Sufferers of chronic rheumatism and gout will benefit by taking lemon juice, also those who have a tendency to bleed, uterine haemorrhages, etc”

He goes on to add: “… Lemon is an antiseptic, or is an agent that prevents sepsis [the presence of pathogenic bacteria] or putrefaction [decomposition of tissue]. It is also anti-scorbutic, a term meaning a remedy which will prevent disease and assist in cleansing the system of impurities.”

on fast 5--I drink lemon water--I don't like cold water, and I don't like the taste of tap water. So I add lemon to mine. Most of the time lemon juice, but I will be getting real lemons to do this.