What's for dinner in the summer?

You're on Page 9 of 21
Go to
  • We're having Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken leftovers! I have to make another salad.
  • Definitely not summery here tonight - low 60s and very damp. I'm rethinking dinner and envisioning a casserole with baby lima beans (happen to have 1 lb in the fridge from the weekend's bean rehydrating), sausage gimme lean, zucchini, & tomatoes. I think it could work. I'm still making the kamatsuna with tahini lemon sauce on the side though
  • Leftovers - or rather "plan overs" tonight. I did three pork steaks on the BBQ last night and extra veggies. I just cooked some spelt and dried red peppers and onions in veggie stock. I'll add chopped up veggies and add them along with the pork cut in strips to make a pilaf. That should do me three meals - one for tonight with a salad and two servings for the freezer stash! I'll have a lovely green salad with it and some fresh raspberries.
  • We're having our favorite Ezekial Pizza and a large, vegie friendly salad tonight.

Sunshine, I tried to locate the BBQ recipe in the threads and couldn't find it. We were thinking of bbq something one of these nights.
  • South Beach Barbecue Sauce (Phase 1)
    Quote: We're having our favorite Ezekial Pizza and a large, vegie friendly salad tonight.

Sunshine, I tried to locate the BBQ recipe in the threads and couldn't find it. We were thinking of bbq something one of these nights.
    Hi Debbie:

This is the South Beach Barbecue Sauce recipe from the SBD Quick & Easy Cookbook (page 207):

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    This zesty sauce can be quickly made from scratch with a few basic pantry items. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine tomato sauce, vinegar, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a resealable plastic container. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes 4 (1/4-cup) servings

Nutrition at a Glance:
    Per serving: 25 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 1g protein, 5g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 380mg sodium
  • Baked BBQ Chicken (Phase 1)
    Here's the Baked Barbecue Chicken Recipe from the Q & E Cookbook (page 206):

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes

Enjoy tangy barbecue any time of the year with this simple oven-baked dish. Serve it with Eggless Caesar Salad (page 110) or in Phase 2 or 3 with Moroccan Cabbage and Carrot Slaw (page 121).

4 (6-ounce0 boneless, skinnless chicken breasts
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup South Beach Barbecue Sauce (see recipe above)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 350*F.

Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 2 minutes per side.

Place chicken, in a single layer, in an ovenproof baking dish and spoon sauce evenly over the top. Bake until chicken is cooked through and sauce is bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings

Nutrition at a Glance
    Per serving: 200 calories, 3.5g fat, 5g saturated fat, 40g protein, 2g carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 200mg sodium
  • Black beans with salsa and RF Mexican cheese. Yum!!
  • Rosemary chicken with carmelized onions, roasted grape tomatoes & zucchini and a sprinkling of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
  • Quote: We're having our favorite Ezekial Pizza and a large, vegie friendly salad tonight.
    Again....minus sweet potato fries

P.S. Anne, your meals always sound so good!
  • I finally had time to cook up the chard that's been languishing in the fridge, and had it with cannelini beans and shaved parmesan. I ate at Cindy's on Monday night, and got home too late last night to eat, so I was looking forward to this.
  • Zuchini spirals with black beans & salsa and Yves veggie burgers
  • Tonight we're having leftover Herb Marinated Chicken, salad, broccoli and leftover Rice-a-Roni (for the kids). I don't know what dessert will be but it will be something legal.

• Oven roasted zucchini, cherry tomatoes and carrot chips over spinach chive linguine with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and some shaved parmesan.
  • It's on menu to have whole wheat spaghetti and salad but it may only be my daughter and I tonight so who knows. If all else fails, we'll have that and freeze the rest for my son that's staying home while we're away next week.
  • tortilla pizzas and sauteed kale with legal homemade raspberry & cocoa nib ice cream for dessert