Carb blockers & whey powder

• Has anyone tried any of those "carb blockers" pills? There are lots of different brands out there, all basically claiming to block the bad carbs that you take in....but I wonder if they really work.

Question #2
    I've also been looking at whey protein isolate powder. Stuff isn't cheap and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this as well.

• Hi!

I know it's been a bit since you posted your question, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I haven't tried any carb blocker pill, so I can't speak for those.

However, when I was losing weight earlier this year, I contribute a big part of it to whey protein powder. I've always had a hard time with breakfast, but I know it's essential to initiate the metabolism. One of my biggest challenges was cooking in the morning. The protein powder I use completely eliminated the challenge. I put a scoop in 3 oz. of water, stir and drink! 100 cal, 18g protein and 2.5g net carb. Perfect for me. I use chocolate flavored, so I'm sure the unflavored types have even less.

They do tend to be pricey, but I think they're worth it. An approx. $17.00 12.7oz container will probably last me about 2 weeks, but in the long run - 14 meal type breakfasts would probably cost me more.

Also, if you look on amazon.com, they typically have more reasonable prices than health food/supplement/grocery stores.
  • Thanks for the response nb3!

I'm going to start researching whey protein power more, this week. I've put it off for almost two months now, but happily have lost another 5 or 6 pounds since then. Though my problem is getting hungry between meals, and I'm thinking the whey protein with low carbs and calories would be a good "filler".

Quote: Hi!

I know it's been a bit since you posted your question, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I haven't tried any carb blocker pill, so I can't speak for those.

However, when I was losing weight earlier this year, I contribute a big part of it to whey protein powder. I've always had a hard time with breakfast, but I know it's essential to initiate the metabolism. One of my biggest challenges was cooking in the morning. The protein powder I use completely eliminated the challenge. I put a scoop in 3 oz. of water, stir and drink! 100 cal, 18g protein and 2.5g net carb. Perfect for me. I use chocolate flavored, so I'm sure the unflavored types have even less.

They do tend to be pricey, but I think they're worth it. An approx. $17.00 12.7oz container will probably last me about 2 weeks, but in the long run - 14 meal type breakfasts would probably cost me more.

Also, if you look on amazon.com, they typically have more reasonable prices than health food/supplement/grocery stores.
  • For sure! I'm definitely less hungry when I have the morning protein shake then when I'll have eggs or an omelet or whatever.

The brand I use is Designer Whey, fyi.

Congrats on your loss so far!!
  • I've used both. I never noticed anything great with the carb blockers however, I probably didn't use them the right way either. As far as whey protein, I love it! I will make myself smoothies in the morning with a scoop or two of whey protein, a serving of frozen berries (usually blueberrys), 4 ice cubes and some sugar free low carb soy milk (slender soy by west soy). These really fill me up and stay with me for a good while. Also, it's a great way to get in your protein if you get tired of meat and eggs.
  • I personally have tried both the capsule and powder form of carb blockers & they work for me, the 3 times i've used them has been great, I have only been kicked out of ketosis once (too many LOL) i've used them indulging in chinese food and italian. I use phase 2 Natrol, they are available at my local Walgreens but are cheaper online.