Books that have helped motivate you or helped you lose weight

You're on Page 1 of 8
Go to
  • I'm looking for a list of books that have helped you either get motivated, stay motivated, and helped you get moving and lose weight in one form or another. Could be fiction or non fiction.

I'm about half way through Half Assed, and so far I like it a lot!
  • Thin for Life by Anne M Fletcher
    Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto
    Superfoods Rx by Steven G. Pratt
  • Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many diet/motivation/exercise books I've got. I'm a bit of a junkie that way.

I'm currently reading The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo, as recommended here on 3FC by RockinRobin or Meg, I think. I really like it; it's got some very unique ideas I haven't come across before.
  • Diet Girl by Shauna Reid
    Bikini Season by Sheila Roberts
  • Cooking Thin and Getting Thin and Loving Food by Kathleen Daelemans are combo motivation/healthy lifestyle ideas and great cookbooks. She also has a Cooking Thin Daybook that is a daily diary/workbook type book that I don't have.

Peg
  • Quote: Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many diet/motivation/exercise books I've got. I'm a bit of a junkie that way.
    I'm currently reading The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo, as recommended here on 3FC by RockinRobin or Meg, I think. I really like it; it's got some very unique ideas I haven't come across before.
    no need to be embarrassed! Let's hear em? I hope to become a weight loss book junkie! Thanks for the books so far everyone.
  • I'm currently reading Eating for Life by Bill Phillips. Good sound advice and lots of tasty recipes.
  • ooh posting so I can bookmarkt this lol

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Play as if Your Life Depends on It!

It's so fascinating!

Also: In Defense of Food

Both are really great, and are not fad-diet types.
  • Jillian Michaels' latest book Master Your Metabolism is my current read.
  • Quote: Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many diet/motivation/exercise books I've got. I'm a bit of a junkie that way.

I'm a junkie, too. It may seem that I am the ultimate yo yo dieter with my library. But if one of those books will give me one good recipes, one nudge of encouragement or anything, then, I'm okay! That is why I've been looking for podcasts to listen to at work that involve health/fitness/weight loss.
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
    In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
    Mindless Eating - Brian Wansink
    How to Overcome Overeating - David Kessler
    Thin for Life - Anne M Fletcher
    Beck Diet for Life - Judith Beck
    Such a Pretty Fat - Jen Lancaster
    Confessions of a Reformed Dieter - AJ Rochester

Yup, twas' me. I was just going to chime in here with this one. Actually Mandalinn is the one that pointed me in the direction of this book. She thought I might enjoy, because when she read it she said it reminded her of "my plan". I didn't read this book till long after I hit goal, but so much of what he says is indeed "my plan". So much. Right down to recommending that one munch on string beans! I've recommended it to many people.
  • Oh, yay, Robin - glad you liked it! It was eerie, I was reading the book and it was just like reading your posts. I always love when a book recommendation works out.

I have recently loved:
    Animal Vegetable Miracle
    Omnivores Dilemma/In Defense of Food
    Mindless Eating - Why we eat more than we think
    and in a weird, "gardening helps me be more in touch with my food and make healthier choices" way, "Finding God in the Garden" was lovely.
  • Quote: Oh, yay, Robin - glad you liked it! It was eerie, I was reading the book and it was just like reading your posts. I always love when a book recommendation works out.

I have recently loved:
    Animal Vegetable Miracle
    Omnivores Dilemma/In Defense of Food
    Mindless Eating - Why we eat more than we think
    and in a weird, "gardening helps me be more in touch with my food and make healthier choices" way, "Finding God in the Garden" was lovely.
    Not to hijack the thread, but Amanda, I apologize. Do you mean I never told and thanked you for introducing me to that book? Apparently not. Well - thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it was eerie. It was like I was inside his head and he inside mine, like I said - right down to the string beans. It was nice to hear that a Columbia University man with a PhD and myself think so similarly.