Active Folks Over 50 -- #25

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Here we are, all settled in!

-------------
    Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
    ----------------------

Hey CD, my partner used to be vegetarian, and she still mostly eats that way but with occasional chicken or beef. For a long time I tried to eat the way she did, but I just puffed up like a balloon!

I must say, though, lately I have a Boca Burger with breakfast because I want more protein. I have eggs from time to time as well, but to avoid the fats I don't eat them that often. I really love those Boca Burgers! (I can't stand eggwhites btw.)

Jude, planning is the key for foods, isn't it? I try always to have something around that is safe for me to munch on. Because otherwise, I'll just munch on whatever... not a good idea...

Hi to everyone! Come on in and post!

Jay
  • Jude - make the rag quilt! She will enjoy it, I'm sure!

Jay - I love Boca's too - and I'm not big on egg whites either. I never have been able to do the egg white omelet thing that so many chickies too.

But, I really believe in eating things I throroughly enjoy - rather than things that are lower in calories. I've come to enjoy a lot of low cal foods, but taking the yolks out of my eggs to make them lower calorie is NOT one of them.

I'm not big on low fat, low sugar "frankenfoods" either. The frozen MSF, Boca and Gardenburger products are the only super-processed foods that I eat. And I DO enjoy their convenience.

I have been known to make my own burgers, but not for a while. Maybe when I retire

Well, I made it through this week! All but one school building is done for the year! My job is still very intense, but very different in the summer. I really enjoy the change of pace

The weather is glorious here - I was able to get quite a bit of gardening done after work. I can't believe how fast the weeds take over!

What does everyone have planned for the weekend?

I hope it is something fun!
  • So what is a Boca burger and what do you eat it with? a bun?

I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast with some turkey bacon in half a pita. I am getting bored with that and I too do not like the fat. One whole egg and one egg white cuts it down though.

I find with that breakfast I am not nearly so hungry later in the day.
    Not much new with me. Cleaned house and washed the car this morning. That was my exercise for the day.

Weather here is great. Looking forward to the weekend.

How about some good breakfast ideas???

Cheers....Jude
  • Boca burger is a great vegetarian protein source. Their products vary - from vegan on up. Some are veggie, some are soy. They are GREAT grilled (acceptable but so-so microwaved).

You can eat them the same way you would eat any chicken or beef patty. They have burger crumbles too (think sausage or hamburger).

They are a bit better calorie/nutrient-wise than the Morningstar Farms Products (Kelloggs).

Breakfast - I eat a fairly light breakfast (less than 200 calories) and have my first snack about 2 hrs later. But for me, breakfast can be a very creative meal.
    Traditional:
    Veggie omelet
    Oatmeal with veggies sausage patty
    Yogurt with Fiber One
    Thomas Light Multi-grain English Muffin with nut butter
    Banana with nut butter
    South Beach Living High Protein Cereal Bar (grab and go breakfast)
    Pancakes/waffles with nut butter OR veggie sausage OR yogurt and fruit topping
    Creative:
    Leftovers made into a breakfast casserole or omelet or just plain heated up. I've eaten spaghetti for breakfast on more than one occasion
  • Hi! Wish I had some exciting breakfast ideas... one thing that we do is always have some fresh fruit on hand if possible to add to granola or cereal. We had strawberries earlier (in Fla. the seasons is Jan-April). Now we've gone on to blueberries, and we're starting to see some Georgia peaches. And we always have bananas around.

Smoothies are good, too--I use 1% milk, 1 egg, some banana, and maybe some frozen strawberries (that I put up when we had fresh) and whip it up in a blender. I often have some almonds to eat while I drink the smoothie, just to make sure I get some fiber in there.

If you can stand it, smoked salmon is also good. I like it with lowfat cream cheese on some toast.

As you can see, I went over my average target yesterday. Three weeks in, and it often happens to me. I did it to myself--no one held me down and forced food through my clenched teeth. Well, my new way of tracking is showing me what happens with indulgence like that. Suppose I go over my target for the day by 500 calories. Well, the next day I can't eat 500 calories less--that would leave me too low as well as starving. So, realistically I can only eat maybe 100 or 150 cals less. So that means I need to have four or five days at the lower number to get back to that average target. Do you see how that works?

Average target = say 1500
    day 1, 2000
    day 2, 1400
    day 3, 1400
    day 4, 1400
    Average for 4 days = 1550

with same average target,
    day 1, 2000
    day 2, 1350
    day 3, 1350
    day 4, 1350
    Average for 4 days = 1513

That's a little misleading, because I actually average over the previous week rather than forward. But still, you can see how 1 day of extravagance means 3 days of lower eating.

Sad but true!

Jay
  • Jay - GREAT plan. EXACTLY what I did (and still do). I actually think it was good for my system and my weight loss to go over every now and again. I think that my body was telling me it needed more food that day.

I consider it a form of calorie shifting (cycling). Eat with your hunger cues / social schedule and compensate as needed.

A quiet day here. DH is working and I went shopping this morning. I did scoot out to Penney's and Fashion Bug and pick up some capris since I have actually dropped a size from last summer. Skirts and dresses are ok, but pants look kind of funny when they are too big.

We have our annual block party tonight. We get a permit to block off the street and move the grills and chairs and tables out to the street. The kids ride their bikes or skateboard on the rest of the block - it is a lot of fun, and a good chance to catch up with changes.

We all have driveways off the alley in the back of the house, so in the winter we rarely see our neighbors. We wave, but not much chatting going on in the blustery winter.

Of course, it will be a challenge since it is potluck and EVERYONE seems to bring desserts I'm making mini muffins and mini brownies (using mini-muffin pan) so that I have something to munch on. Boca's go great on the grill, so I'm all set there.

I'm off to do laundry and clean - not very exciting, except that I get to listen to my book while doing so Sometimes audiobooks are the only thing that can get me in a cleaning mood

Well, gotta fly - the dryer is buzzing.

Hope you all have a great Saturday!

Laurie
  • Thanks, CD! I'll keep on keeping on!

Jude, I thought of something else I like for breakfast: Italian sausages made with chicken. Our grocery store carries both mild and hot, and I can't tell the difference between the chicken and the pork flavorwise. But the chicken are a LOT less fat! Like, 140 calories for 4 ounces, compared with 330.

Jay
  • Laurie, I was looking at your pictures and noticed you added a new one at 120lb. Wow what a difference in those last 10lb! How could ten lb make such a difference? Anyway, you look great. What are some good audiobooks that you have enjoyed?
  • Carol, thanks! Funny, you should say that because I don't see that much of a difference between the last two pictures. My friends do, DH does, but I just don't see it.

I like mysteries and thrillers - and I tend to go back to the same authors and read books that continue with favorite characters.
    Some of my favorite authors are:
    Nelson DeMille
    Tess Gerritsen
    David Baldacci
    Michael Connelly
    James Patterson (Women's Murder Club Series)
    Lisa Scottoline
    Janet Evonovich (Stephanie Plum series - fluff - but very funny)
    Joseph Finder
    David Rosenfelt (Andy Carpenter series - great reader - funny)
    Jeffery Deaver

The block party was fun! We did get some rain, but we tied a big tarp to a couple trees and a couple cars and propped a construction ladder in the middle. It was good to cathc up with folk. One of our old neighbors actually moved back in March and we didn't even know she was living 6 houses up the street The had been gone 11 years - I didn't even recognize the kids.

I'm feeling really OLD tonight
  • Linda - good to see you back! Hope you are feeling better!
  • Good Morning.
    Hey thanks for all the breakfast ideas. Not sure we have Boca burgers here. I will look next time I am across the border.

Would you eat it in a bun or would the calories go to high. I buy a small whole wheat bun if I buy them. I eat buffalo burgers just with veggies and tomatoes.
    Love smoked salmon so that is an awesome idea. Might like it to much. How is the calorie count in smoked salmon?

I find this calorie counting thing very interesting that you do. I sorta count calories in my head but not keeping track exactly. I can tell when I am eating too much or what is not OP. I may have to pay more attention. Do you guys actually keep track on something like Fitday. I guess I should.

I am down another pound though so happy with that. I guess I would say that my best days are the days when I do not eat just because I want to. I am feeling some loss over this food. Funny food is such a great companion. And I guess I would have to say that for right now I am trying to make my food plan look like a person who is not overweight.

One who does not sit down to watch tv with a table full of snacke. I have a box of the 100 light popcorn and I eat that if I really need something. Not a big popcorn fan but it does the trick.
    Munching on things like veggies only seems to make me hungrier. I guess I am looking for a more filling snack. Smoothie works for me or plain yogurt with frozen berries in the blender. Like that.

Laurie your last picture...AWESONE!! I am dying to fit into some smaller clothes. I have lots. hahahaha

Hope you are all having a good day. Sunday is a tough OP day for me. So here is too a good one. I have to go grocery shopping and that is tough for some reason...
    Cheers Jude
  • Being in the 220's feels like a reward in itself. Every little bit down seems to add to my self will. Wheeee what a journey.

One day I will run into my kids and they won't recognize me. I guess that is one way to go into hiding.....

I am not sure you are in hiding though if no one noticed you missing.
  • Jude, smoked salmon is comparable to tuna. 1 ounce is 33 calories and has 5 gms protein and 1 gm fat.

Got to go--more later!

Jay
  • Hi everyone, I love all the breakfast ideas. I've been quite busy another week at school. Packing up my classroom is a lot of work. I've been super busy with my daughters wedding plans only 3 weeks away. I won't be anywhere near goal weight, but certainly less than a six months ago. I hope to lose a couple more pounds for the wedding.