a happy side effect to an otherwise awful thing

• i have whats commonly called a quinsy. to the uninitated its and abcess on your tonsils.

so its hard to swallow can't open my mouth propperly, ear hurts neck hurts swollen glands on my throat. etc.

the good thing. its regulated my eating. i'm now eating propperly. i.e not shovelling it down without touching the sides. i'm taking small mouthfulls and really seriously chewing everything to much so i can get it down. yes its uncomfortable to swallow but its good training natures way of telling me i've been naughty lets just hope i can carry it on after.

also i'm drinking loads more than i used to .

apart from this minor silver cloud its a pretty miserable time
  • Do you have to have surgery? or just antibiotics? Don't envy you sounds like the same pain as strep throat- makes sleeping difficult.
    Good luck!
  • SO totally been there -- finally got my tonsils out at my ripe old age!!!! Are you taking antibiotics? Or is this a viral infection???
    Keep pushing the fluids!
    Kira
  • had anti biotics but it came back. gotta go to the doctor tomorrow. will see what happens. but getting it lanced may be an option not one i'm looking forward too
  • Arghh -- if you get it lanced, it's like a little jab and then a whole BUNCH of relief. Seriously. And beer, with its alcohol content, can keep that area clean. Well, that's what I used to tell myself. At least, after a couple, I wouldn't care quite so much...

Kira
  • excellent curry to burn away any rubbish and beer to sterilise the area i like that idea. however i doubt its medically sound
  • Mehhh...if it works, who's to say it isn't valid!
    MMMM, Curry....so OT, but hey -- I make a MEAN Madras Beef (I know, sacrilege!), dal, and samosas. Last year, I canned my own chutney...mmmmm.....
    Hey, you could take red lentils with you and make a dal while you are gone. I have a quick recipe that tastes pretty good, and I've made it on a campstove before...pm me if you want the recipe!
    Kira
  • i wanna eat at kira's.

sorry about your tonsil zit.

i hope the oozing is not nearly as wretched as i imagine it must be.

isolde
  • That sounds horrific. Lancing sounds even MORE horrific!

Here's hoping you get it fixed soon!

ps. I vote for vodka as both a cleaning agent AND pain relief
  • hate vodka, as for the madras not hot enough for me madras is ok for kids but i like propper curries. vindaloo and upwards
  • Wow, that sounds gross and painful.

Hope the doc fixes you up with a different antibiotic to take care of it. Good luck if they decide to lance it, just thinking about it makes me want to gag.... sorry.

• Got a great recipe for vindaloo, too! My grandfather was in the British military and was posted in Injah so my dad was actually born in Calcutta. He spent the first 16 years of his life there, so his second language is hindustani. Not bad for a pale, fair-haired, blue-eyed guy! I come by the recipes for Indian food honestly, and have actually made low-fat versions that work really well.

i JUST think I might make up a curry bash for this weekend -- gotta love Weight Watchers!

Kira
  • i do love the type of curry that makes you put the toilet paper in the fridge