anyone out there with celiac disease??

• i was diagnosed a month ago and due to me having 22 years in this world as a hardcore bread addict i am having trouble sticking to the diet. i have found a store where i can get premade stuff but that is so expensive. any advice would be appreciated.
    thank you
  • Do you cook? I have a co-worker who has a wealth of GF recipes - she was diagnosed at age 3. She cooks and bakes a lot. If you are interested, pm me, and I'll email them to you. She shared them recently when another friend of mine was diagnosed, and I was looking for help for her.
  • Yes. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I cannot help you about the gluten free baked goods. I don't eat them. I just stick to meats, fish,seafood, vegetables,nuts and fruit.
    There is so much variety to eat with those things I don't miss baked goods or breads at all but I have to admit it took some time before my cravings went away.
  • Thanks walk2lose. I have been trying to pm you but im so new i dont have enough posts. I need 10
  • Hey, I too have celiacs, AND i'm allergic to dairy, and only recently discovered both of these things, and since i've spent my life eating sandwiches and ice cream, it's a bit rough. But I've started making my own breads, and buying vegan cheese and soy milk... You just need to look up recipes everywhere, and eat mostly veggies and fruits, and find alternatives for the things that you hate living without, like soy ice cream, or in my case, tofu cream cheese and gluten free bagels for Lox Sandwiches
  • I've been gluten-free for about a month now. My soon-to-be-three year old son is actually the one we started doing it for and his temperament/focus has improved drastically ... and I noticed that I've been feeling a lot better and more energetic, too, since I decided to do it with him so he didn't feel left out on what was being eaten around him.

ANYWAY when it comes to baked goods we've become HUGE fans of Pamela's Products for their bread mix, cake mixes, brownie mix (especially the brownie mix) and baking/pancake mix (like a gluten free bisquick). I'm not sure if any of her products are also dairy free, though, because at this point we've only cut the gluten. I've also found quite a lot of great GF websites that might help you out. I have them linked in a sidebar on my blog under "the food." Not ALL of the sites are specifically GF, but they all are at least adaptable.

Walkingtolose - if you see this I'd also love the recipes from your friend! My e-mail address is just my username here @ verizon.net

~Karen
  • I have been eating gluten free for a week now and plan to continue-I feel so much better already. The difference in my stomach when I eat is HUGE. I used to have all this growling and movement when I ate and now nothing! Its amazing! I have also not been eating dairy and was also vegetarian to begin with... so now I am eating gluten free vegan, and its a bit difficult, I can't imagine doing it if I didn't love to cook... anywho- there are many great websites for gluten free cooking- its a bit harder to find gluten free vegan but I am working on it! Good Luck!
  • Hi Rikki! Quite a few of my friends/family are vegetarian or vegan so I've been stockpiling links for websites that would be suitable for them AND for my son & I.

My top 3 so far have been:
    http://glutenfreevegan.wordpress.com
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com (she has an entire section on veg)
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/tag/vegan/

Also, if you search for anything labelled GFCF (gluten free casein free) you should be able to find quite a lot of good stuff. At this point we aren't worried about the casein/dairy with my son so I only REALLY look for gluten free but it's worth a shot!
  • Good luck.