gaining?

• i weighed in on tuesday and was 187! (Exciting!) and then i weighed myself today adn i was 190? i know this could be because i weighed myself at night (for the 190) but still... im doing everything that i usually do.. and no the TOM does not apply to me. so i dont really get it.
  • I don't think it's unusual to have your weight vary that much between day and night, depending on how much you've eaten, how much water you've been drinking, etc. Heck, I can be up a couple pounds just between the time I get up and the time I finish breakfast.

I would suggest either:

A) Pick a time of day to weigh yourself and stick to just that.

B) If you want to weigh yourself in the morning and evening, do it for like a week to learn your natural body fluctuations. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and last thing at night, every day. So I usually know the range where my body will be the next morning, based on past history.

Congratulations on your 35lbs lost!!
  • My weight fluctuates up to 5 lbs in a normal day. Food and water weigh something after all! In fact, I believe 2 cups of water equals 1 lb. Granted, it'll come out sooner or later, but all that can affect your weight throughout the day.

Also, I notice I weigh more the day after eating salty foods. Too much salt can cause your body to hold on to water, which will show on the scale.

Personally, I weigh naked and only in the morning after going to the bathroom.
  • Honestly, your weight fluctuates throughout the day...

I only weigh myself once a week for a more accurate reading since weighing myself daily would drive me crazy with all those fluctuations!

~ tea
  • I'm in that period where I'm weighing myself daily to gage fluctuations. I weigh first thing in the morning and periodically throughout the day, and WOW at the fluctuations. I think by Sunday I'll have a good take on how and why I get such huge drops or gains throughout the days. I tell myself Sunday morning is my official weigh in's and only use the daily morning weight to gage my progress throughout the week as it seems to be the most accurate. My point...don't worry too much, the fluctuation is quite normal.
  • I weigh myself once a week, Sunday morning after I use the potty and that's it. I take the battery out of my scale and put it on the shelf in my closet. Your weight will fluctuate all day long. Pick a time to weigh, then move on. Whatever the number says, thats it.
  • Ditto..
    AND redefine "success" in terms of being on plan and exercising, instead of the number on the scale. IF you control your diet and exercise, the numbers will go down, but not necessarily when you want them to. So why make something you can't directly control the measure of your success? And why let it rule your day?
    Kira
  • I agree with everyone else. Pick a day or time of day and only weigh at that time. I weaighed in last SAturday and gained a pound. I weighed yesterday(only because I had a Dr. Apt) and I was 4 pounds less than saturday and it is TOM. So i would say also always weigh on the same scales you would think my weightloss center and dr office would have accurate scales??