Almond Milk vs Soy Milk

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • The unsweetened almond breeze almond milk I use has only 40 calories a cup compared with 100 in silk soy milk.
    I'm 41 and like to limit my soy since it's got estrogens which can prohibit weight loss. If you are younger it might not matter as much...
  • Great discussion! I love to read about nutrition, and it's amazing how every side can produce facts/studies to back up their positions on raw/cooked, dairy, red meat, etc. I think a lot of it comes back to "everybody being a laboratory of one", and figuring out what works for you. The field of nutrigenomics - or how foods activate your genes - is exploding, and the more they learn, the more clear it is that no single direction can possibly work for everyone. That being said ... eating clean, eating whole ... has been the only common thread. What you choose to eat within that sphere and how you fare when eating it ... meat, dairy, gluten, soy, eggs - requires a lot of introspection and self-awareness. I am always jealous of those who've figured out their "formulas". All I have so far is a big list of "what it isn't".
  • ICUWishing, that is so true. The current emphasis on randomized controlled trials of high validity and significance has been a highly necessary improvement in the practice of medicine. However, it has much tendency to lump everyone together and average out their differences instead of focus on the differences.
  • I like the idea of raw nut milks, do any nuts provide calcium?
  • I just found this-
    Almonds 2 oz., 150 mg of calcium,

So I wonder how much goes into the milk when you make it?
  • i just listened to one of jillian michaels' radio shows this morning on my ipod where she was talking about soy in general and mentioned almond milk.

the nutritional value of almond milk seems to be higher. plus i'd like to stay away from too much soy due to a thyroid condition. and i love, love, love tempeh (which is fermented soy, but still...).

will try almond milk from now on in my weekend cereal.
  • My goal really is soy in moderation. I'll eat some tofu, some tempeh, some soy milk but maybe a couple times per week?

Willow - Greens are probably your best bet for calcium although nuts are a decent source. I think Bok Choy is one of the highest providers of calcium and dairy is on the moderate level.
  • yeah, i am not scared about low calcium levels to be honest. and luckily i love all the green stuff.

i am staying away from tofu and all that processed tofurkey kind of stuff.
    tempeh i love. soy or any milk i only use in cereal which i only have on weekends. i hear you re soy in moderation. i used to eat tons of that fake meat when i went vegan. and it wasn't good...
  • Oops there are 2 willows

I sometimes make my own fake meat but it doesn't have soy in it. I bought some tofu today for the first time in months.
  • I'm with Partypantalones... Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla is the best I have found and only 40 calories a cup! The unsweetened chocolate is 45 I think. In fact I am drinking a cup of coffee right this minute with that in it.
  • Quote: absolutely almond milk!!! It doesn't have that weird after taste. I love almond milk and frozen blueberry smoothies.

Oh now THERE is something I have to try! Or peaches, raspberries... never thought of that. I use almond milk on porridge or whatever... anything I would use milk for.
  • One thing to consider... from studies I have read, virtually all soy in the US market was produced using Monsanto Roundup. Of course a lot of almond milk... including Almond Breeze which I use -- does contain some soy lecithen but IMO not as bad as pure soy milk. I did try a brand that did not have it and YUCK -- I could see why they use it as a smoother, etc. But basically -- at least from several studies I saw -- if you are eating soy you are consuming Monsanto Roundup.
  • You have to look for organic soy.
  • I guess so... good point! In any case I much prefer the almond milk anyway.
  • Yeah all the soy I buy is organic.