cereal!!!!

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hi I'm new to this thread. Cereal is definitely a trigger food for me. I'm staying away from it right now. I binge on salty carbs in the afternoon which I have not done today. I have found a soy free protein to which I add other ingredients. It is the one new habit which I have stuck with for over a year now. I sail thru to lunch without a crash. Its a good feeling-enough for me to keep doing it. Good luck. I am also trying to be very aware of portions right now. I know that for me, my choice of portion size can turn a good choice into a poor one very quickly.
  • i am ADDICTED

i LOVE cereal...but not really the unhealthy kind...the wholegrain/muslie kind

i can barely stop at one bowl of muslie banana and yoghurt..i love it more than chocolate now
  • Thanku 4 all ur suggestions guys I'm ok this morning only had one bowl and an apple so no binging today so far. Yeah for me it's definitely the high fiber ones that do it like bran flakes or oats i can eat bowls and bowls but I'm trying hard not to go over one garrrr it's hard. Also i no this is a completely different subject but i've hit a bit of a plateau and wanted to no what exercises are good and will help kickstart my fat-burning???????? cheers lovelies
  • Quote: i am ADDICTED

i LOVE cereal...but not really the unhealthy kind...the wholegrain/muslie kind

i can barely stop at one bowl of muslie banana and yoghurt..i love it more than chocolate now
    I know! I feel like I'm having dessert for breakfast every morning.
  • Quote: ok i can't actually get away from eating the stuff i mean i eat a huge bowl in the morning filled to the top and it's ussually cornflakes but sometimes oats although oats seem to be a bigger trigger. And I'm pretty good going the rest of the day but i worry that the cereal is stopping me. For instance yesterday food diary goes:

MOrning= Huge bowl of cornflakes + simmed milk

Dinner= Ceaser salad chicken no crutons

Snack= 2 pieces of melon

Lots of diet coke

so the rest of the day is fine just need to know really is cereal really bad\?????

and does n e one else get this with cereal???? cheers
    Quote: Thanku 4 all ur suggestions guys I'm ok this morning only had one bowl and an apple so no binging today so far. Yeah for me it's definitely the high fiber ones that do it like bran flakes or oats i can eat bowls and bowls but I'm trying hard not to go over one garrrr it's hard. Also i no this is a completely different subject but i've hit a bit of a plateau and wanted to no what exercises are good and will help kickstart my fat-burning???????? cheers lovelies
    I'd suggest that you look at your overall food plan for the day as priority. Not getting enough of the nutrients your body needs will certainly halt weightloss to an extent. I agree with Willow, you need lunch with some healthy snacks. Try having a serving of cereal (what is listed on the box) with a side of fruit and protein (egg, cottage cheese, etc). You'll feel fuller longer and won't feel that need to binge. Dive into the wealth of knowledge on these boards and elsewhere to identify what a solid eating plan is that will keep you full, happy, energized, and will have that weight melting off (with no binges!).

Any exercise is good to help kickstart the weightloss -- especially if you're fairly sedentary. Do what you enjoy! (i find general outdoor activities and weight training are perfect for me because I have fun)

Good luck
  • I can easily binge on cereal,if I don't stop myself.Even cornflakes. The only one that I don't binge on is cheerios. So that is what I have been buying.It is
    filling and easy for mornings.
  • Quote: I know! I feel like I'm having dessert for breakfast every morning.
    Me too!! i never thought i'd ever say that it's better than chocolate..but it is
  • Ughhh, cereal is the WORST!!

Okay, time for a horrendously embarrassing, "I-can't-believe-I-did-that" story! (Warning: this could maybe be triggering? I dunno.) When I was home for Easter in April, I binged ridiculously for pretty much the entire weekend, and lemme tell you, cereal played a *big* role in that... So much so that during one of my binges, I ate like 2 bowls EACH of Fruit Loops and Corn Pops, and I actually dumped most of a bag of chocolate chips (that I randomly found in our kitchen) into the bowls of Corn Pops and ate them together... Cuz obviously they needed that extra "kick" of sugar (?!?!). Ugh, that is definitely something that feels perfectly reasonable at the time and yet completely ridiculous when you tell someone about it later!! Oh, but actually, it gets much worse--a little into my second bowl of Corn Pops(/chocolate chips), my brother walked in and saw me eating them and said, "Oh, you might not want to eat those; I think I saw some bugs in the box earlier!" ....Do YOU think I stopped eating that bowl?

Yeah, cereal and I are NOT friends--or at least not the sugary kinds. Like some of you, I'm more or less fine with having very controlled portions of Total, Fiber One, etc... But the minute I reach for one of those "candy" cereals, I know I am binging. And the sad thing is, I still think those Corn Pops and chocolate chips tasted REALLY delicious together and could totally go for another bowl. Sometimes ya just gotta wonder what the heck is wrong with you!
  • Hello, my name is Kelly, and I'm a cereal addict... For me there's some psychological stuff going on... growing up, sweet kids cereal was off-limits. I used to dream about Count Chocula and Captain Crunch, probably triggered by all those commercials. The few times my mom bought some I couldn't stop eating it, (it's so dang good)!
    As a grownup I know now that buying golden grahams, corn pops, cocoa krispies etc. just drives me crazy. I just can't go there. I'd eat a whole box every morning. Even eating healthy cereal sometimes will trigger a binge. Reading this post makes me think I should find another breakfast choice.
  • Quote: Hello, my name is Kelly, and I'm a cereal addict... For me there's some psychological stuff going on... growing up, sweet kids cereal was off-limits. I used to dream about Count Chocula and Captain Crunch, probably triggered by all those commercials. The few times my mom bought some I couldn't stop eating it, (it's so dang good)!
    As a grownup I know now that buying golden grahams, corn pops, cocoa krispies etc. just drives me crazy. I just can't go there. I'd eat a whole box every morning. Even eating healthy cereal sometimes will trigger a binge. Reading this post makes me think I should find another breakfast choice.
    ditto
    I eat balance bars, 2oz. nuts, eggs/cottage cheese, eggs/cheese/turkey bacon -- not all at the same time --- lots of filling an tasty non-bingetriggerring breakfasts out there
  • Quote: Hello, my name is Kelly, and I'm a cereal addict... For me there's some psychological stuff going on... growing up, sweet kids cereal was off-limits. I used to dream about Count Chocula and Captain Crunch, probably triggered by all those commercials. The few times my mom bought some I couldn't stop eating it, (it's so dang good)!
    Double ditto. Cereal is a big no-no for me. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but once I start, I can't (won't) stop. So for me, I just don't start.

The only cereal that I can safely have around me is Fiber One. And not the flakes one. The twig-gy one.

I do buy cereal for my kids. They are unlike their mother (thankfully) and can stop at one normal sized bowl. I don't get it. I don't touch "their" cereal. It is off limits for me.
  • I can also easily binge on cereal. The last couple of weeks I have begun purchasing 6 grain cereal from the bulk bins rather than boxed varieties. I won't be binging on it. I like it very much but I don't think it would ever occur to me to binge on it.
  • I've overeaten (semi-binged) on Kashi Go Lean. It is now banned from my home.
  • Chudge, Try the Kashi Vive Cereal.. you are allowed to have 1 and 1/4 of a cup per serving very high in fiber and very good.. I usually have ceral for lunch with fat free milk. My breakfast is a protein shake that keeps me full til 11am and then a snack. I use the American Whey Chocolate Protein powder, very smooth and yummy one scoop is 110 calories, 10 gr protein, 24 sodium, 6 carbs, I think 2 sugars, I usually have a scoop and a half blended with fat free milk.. But I eat every 2-3hrs, to keep my metabolism up..
  • This probably sounds wierd but I'm that way with crackers, mostly any kind of crackers. I don't even have them in the house anymore.
    Scarlet