Thoughts on garbanzo flour?

• There was a great looking recipe for a Mediterranean salad with chickpea patties in this month's real simple. Essentially you pulse chickpeas with spices and garlic, then lightly fry them as you would falafel.

The recipe called for 2 TBS of AP flour, just to dredge before frying, but I was thinking I could use garbanzo flour instead to keep it SB friendly, maybe eve phase 1 friendly...thoughts? Garbanzo flour is essentially ground dried chickpeas.

And if it *is* SB friendly, boy do I have a delicious zucchini pancake recipe to post!
  • IMHO, I think garbanzo flour is fine to use in Phase 1, since it's just ground up chick peas. But there was a discussion on this a while back, and others say because the consistency has been changed into a flour, it should be considered a Phase 2 food. I still disagree with that, and would go ahead and use it in Phase 1.
  • I agree with Cottage - if it's just chickpeas it should be fine for Phase 1 and I'd love to have the zucchini recipe
  • It was me who posted a recipe that caused the ruckus lol, if you can call it that! But, I do understand the "flour" view... same with nut flours... but I use it anyway- especially in such small amounts~
  • That sounds realy good
  • Thanks for the feedback! They are really tasty, but they do fall apart. I think next time I might add an egg to see if they hold together better.

Posting the zucchini pancake recipe in the recipe section...they're really delicious!
  • WOW - I had no idea they make different kinds of flour like GARBANZO flour. I'll have to look for it next time i'm shopping!
  • Bob's Red Mill makes all kinds of bean, nut & whole grain flours. My favorites that I use a lot are almond flour and white bean flour (very neutral flavor...I use it in a lot of things, incl. soups).

Many stores carry a large selection of these products but if you can't find them, they are available the their website.
  • where did you post the recipes? i couldn't find them, I looked in p1 entrees
  • It's in side dishes - Phase I.