A Pet's Ten Commandments

• From my email. You may have seen this before but it hit home with me when I had to take a friend's dog to the vet for euthanasia becasue she couldn't face it.

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
  • Oh wow, wish I hadn't read this.

We had to take our dog of 13 years to be euthanized a couple weeks ago. I miss him so much. We have another dog, we've had a little over a year and that helps but he misses the older dog as well.

We did go with him, it just about killed us. Even our daughter went and she no longer lives at home, but we just couldn't let him go alone. We have his ashes downstairs in a very nice box.
  • Thanks for this

My cat is getting very old and while it will be the most painful thing I'll have to do, I'm prepared- as the person who has been with her since she was born- to be with her when that time comes.
  • As someone with an aging dog this made me cry at work. I'd never do anything to harm her or let her go on her own but it's sad that not everyone cherishes their companions in that way.
  • yes this thing always tears me up. For all my other pets I was there when they were put down, but one of my pets died at the emergency room and I wasn't there with him cuz the vet told us to go home because our pet was stable. I cried forever because I wasn't there- I just thought about how scared he must have been since he was all alone.

I do believe my bird understands every word I say lol- sometimes she just chooses to ignore me lol
  • Ruth, that was just beautiful. I'm crying too. After reading and thinking back, I was a great dog mommie. He was a great dog too. <3
  • That was beautiful. Thanks so much for posting!
  • Not looking forward to those days with my two mutts....thank-you Ruth
  • These are so true. My furbaby took a heart attack in Dec.I think I could have done more. I am still not over it,and had to begin taking meds.I still have another
    doxie at home,who is getting up in years.
  • Wise words- I've read this before and it still makes me cry, but this is important for us to know as pet lovers/owners.