My poor little kitten

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • With all the posts I've made so far, my life must seem like a soap opera! It always seems like bad things happen all at once, and unfortunately, my 3 month old kitten, Sundae, was no exception.

She fell this morning and hit her head, and my vet thinks she may have some brain damage. He says that all I can do is give her some anti-inflammatory medication and hope she recovers, but I am so worried. Since I brought her home, she has just been sitting or pacing in circles, not making any noise or responding to anything, refusing to eat or go to the bathroom. Her head is tilted to one side, apparently because of what swelling already took place, but I'm hoping the medicine will help that go away soon.

I have heard of kittens fully recovering from accidents like this, but I am so scared for my poor baby! She is the first pet I've had on my own, and she has only lived with me for four short weeks. Please keep my little Sundae in your thoughts and prayers, and I will keep everyone updated on what happens.
  • Very sorry to hear about this and sorry that it seems everything is going wrong right now.

I sure hope your kitty is okay and things look up for you...
  • Prayers for Sundae! And for you, too!
  • aw im so sorry Kittens seem to be pretty endurable, chances are that she will bounce back once those meds take effect. Keep us updated
  • Oh bless its little heart. I will say a prayer for your kitty.
  • Oh no! I am so sorry this happened to your little girl. How did she hit her head?

This might sound silly and maybe I am totally wrong because I have never had a cat or experienced your situation before, but have you looked into giving your kitten omega 3 capsules to help ameloriate any brain damage that she may have as a result of falling? I know that the lone survivor of the coal mine tragedy in WV a few years back was given large amounts of omega-3's during his hospitalization and he ended up making a miraculous recovery after suffering extreme carbon monoxide exposure. The conclusion drawn from his case is that the omega-3's helped to rebuild the gray and white brain matter that was damaged. I know we're talking about a cat, but a brain is a brain.

I found this sitehttp://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc.../104001.1.aspx online a few minutes ago and am now thinking about getting some for my 11-month old puppy. You could call your local pet store and see if they have it or a similar product in stock. I know you said she doesn't want to eat, but maybe she would like some salmon (canned is just as good as fresh and a lot cheaper!). Salmon has lots of omega-3's, which are great for the brain. Of course, before you give your kitten anything you should consult your vet.

I will pray for your little Sundae to make a full recovery. Like somebody else said, kittens are pretty resilient. Here are some for your little girl. Don't give up on her! And keep a good eye on her, please!
  • Sorry to hear about your kitten. They become so special to us, it is as if they wrap their little paws around our hearts.

My elderly cat is under-the-weather, too, so I know what you are feeling.
  • aw... I'm so sorry, I'll be praying for you and Sundae... I have had several cats... I know nothing about head injuries... I'm hoping she is going to perk up very soon...
    I'm sure vet told you its important to watch her carefully for signs of dehydration, if not, I'd give them a call and get some instructions on feeding etc. I do know that adult animals can dehydrate pretty fast ... when my cats were sick, I had bowls of water everywhere in case they didn't want to walk to it...sometimes you can use an eyedropper, but ask vet... ?? if the meds could affect her appetite.
    I was lucky to have a animal hospital with ER that I could call 24 hours... I drove them crazy... but I didn't care...
    May I gently say to you that you should know the signs of pain and what to do if that becomes a problem...
    My best to you and Sundae... Animals know that you love them !!
  • Thank you so much for all the support, everyone! I didn't think of omega-3's, but I will look into it. I'd do anything to help her! Oh, and the vet gave her some fluids earlier in case she doesn't want to drink today, so I think she should be fine, but I will watch her carefully anyway.

For everyone curious about how it happened, I was away at the time and my boyfriend was at home but in another room, so we don't know for sure how she got hurt. He ran out when he heard her crying and found her behind the couch with blood leaking from one ear. We're pretty sure she fell off the back of the couch and hit her head on the wall - there are claw marks on the couch from where the poor thing must have tried to hold on before she fell.

On the bright side, she already seems to be doing much better. She is walking around and exploring now, and she managed to find and use her litter box, which is a very good sign. I am keeping her right next to me in the living room so I can watch her at all times - I just wish I could do more for her!
  • Oh.. that's great news... kitties do 'hate' the vet for the most part, so maybe she just needed to adjust to 'home'...
  • I hope so! She seems a lot happier and is not showing many of signs of pain that she had just after the injury - she is moving around freely and meowing and purring again. The vet says that she should be okay if she gets through the first few days, and I have my fingers crossed.
  • Glad to hear your baby is doing better. Kitties can be fairly indestructible, so here's to yours not having used one of it's 9 lives so soon after finding a home.
  • Well, she is now drinking water too, although it made her vomit right away. The vet seemed to think that vomiting is a good sign, but it still worries me so much!
  • Your doing great Nepenthe... she knows you are there for her... I think the purring is an excellent sign... vet sounds wonderful... are they around thru the night for you two ?..

Thinking of you...
    I've done the all-nighters, my cat had asmtha for years...

.................................................. ...........................
    Thought this may help...
    Saint Francis of Asissi is the patron Saint of Animals

Heavenly Father,
    you created all things for your glory
    and made us stewards of this creature.
    If it is your will, restore it to health and strength.
    Blessed are you, Lord God,
    and holy is your name for ever and ever. Amen
  • Thank you so much for the beautiful prayer. Funny, I was never a very religious person until I adopted Sundae, but if I've ever witnessed a miracle, it has to be the very existence of such sweet animals that are so innocent and love us so much.

My vet has an emergency night number, which is good to know even though I think we'll be fine at least until they open in the morning. Although Sundae seems very tired, she has used her litter box again and kept down a bit more water. I'm going to try to let her rest for the night and stop bothering her if I can help it.

How is your cat doing these days? I didn't even know cats could have asthma. Poor kitties seem to be able to get so many terrible illnesses.