Hair Maintanence for women of color

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • Nish -- why do you have to be so pretty? *scoff*
  • Cake. I actually have some dry hair shampoo made by Ojon too. I only have it b/c it came in a sampler pack I bought. Not sure how well it works, but I LOVE my other Ojon stuff. You can get it at Sephora. I would mail it to you if mailing spray cans weren't illegal.
  • i'm not black.

i have dreadlocked hair.

i wash it about once a week.

but i rinse my scalp a few times a week without soap too.

i like to spray bath and body works pillow mist in jasmine vanilla all over my head. it sounds stupid, but it smells like heaven.
  • Quote: Nish -- why do you have to be so pretty? *scoff*
    *Giggles!* I didn't know I was, but i'll take a compliment. Thank you sweetie-boo!

And yes, try the Ojon dry shampoo. I loooooooved that stuff, it's just too expensive to be practical for me, I have to use too much.
  • Ok I love the topic of hair but first you ladies must go to this forum for real. Everything you want to know about black hair can be found here. www.longhaircareforum.com This site has helped me grow my hair from about shoulder length to almost bra stap length in a little over year and I do have relaxed hair. Seriously please check out this website!!

OK as for washing your hair. You can wash your hair everyday!! Seriously, just not with shampoo. It's called conditioner washing and I do it everday in the summer. Basically you can take any conditioner preferably one that is for dry hair but for this it really doesnt matter and apply it the same way you would shampoo let it sit while you take a shower and what not and then rinse. It wont be squeaky clean but you will have moisturized and most important PRETTY smelling hair! Of course once a week or twice a week you still want to wash your hair with a good moisturizing shampoo. Now I would NOT recommend using a blow dryer or flat iron everyday that is BAD, BAD, BAD and will do nothing but cause breakage for our hair type. I personally choose to airdry and wear my hair in buns because I'm trying to retain length but many choose to rollerset and wrap which gives you the look of flat ironed hair.

Anyways this is getting long lol like I said I love to talk about hair. If you have any questions feel free to pm please. I really dont mind.

EDIT: I just saw that ya'll already talked about the co-washing thing, but yeah it works so try it lol
  • Quote: Ok I love the topic of hair but first you ladies must go to this forum for real. Everything you want to know about black hair can be found here. www.longhaircareforum.com This site has helped me grow my hair from about shoulder length to almost bra stap length in a little over year and I do have relaxed hair. Seriously please check out this website!!

OK as for washing your hair. You can wash your hair everyday!! Seriously, just not with shampoo. It's called conditioner washing and I do it everday in the summer. Basically you can take any conditioner preferably one that is for dry hair but for this it really doesnt matter and apply it the same way you would shampoo let it sit while you take a shower and what not and then rinse. It wont be squeaky clean but you will have moisturized and most important PRETTY smelling hair! Of course once a week or twice a week you still want to wash your hair with a good moisturizing shampoo. Now I would NOT recommend using a blow dryer or flat iron everyday that is BAD, BAD, BAD and will do nothing but cause breakage for our hair type. I personally choose to airdry and wear my hair in buns because I'm trying to retain length but many choose to rollerset and wrap which gives you the look of flat ironed hair.

Anyways this is getting long lol like I said I love to talk about hair. If you have any questions feel free to pm please. I really dont mind.

EDIT: I just saw that ya'll already talked about the co-washing thing, but yeah it works so try it lol
    I hang out there, as well as blackhairmedia.com...that's how I found out about co-washing...and I love that your hair smells so good after co-washing!

What do you use for growth? I'm using megatek and sulfur...I am also taking 3000mcg of biotin daily...
  • For some reason I never really got into the growth aides. My main thing is no heat, protective styles and deep conditioning oh and of course moisturizing every night. I am looking for a new deep conditioner though...any ideas?
  • Some people recommend organic root stimulator reconstructor pack...or Silk Elements Deep Conditioner.

I think I'm going to try Organic Root Stimulator and see how that works.
  • Actually now that you said that I just remembered that I have a bottle of ORS but it wasnt the same as the pak for me. I think they might have a slight formula change. I'll prlby start using that again though. I'm a bit of a product junkie lol
  • Okay, feel free to laugh hysterically, and make fun of until all eternity..... but, tell me what the deal is. I understand that the type of hair you are talking about has a different hair care regimine. But what is all the fuss regarding weaves, wigs, etc? Specifically,grneyedmustang, political ramifications at work? I believe I am so missing an important piece of this conversation. Enlighten me!!
  • Quote: Okay, feel free to laugh hysterically, and make fun of until all eternity..... but, tell me what the deal is. I understand that the type of hair you are talking about has a different hair care regimine. But what is all the fuss regarding weaves, wigs, etc? Specifically,grneyedmustang, political ramifications at work? I believe I am so missing an important piece of this conversation. Enlighten me!!
    Heather, don't feel bad in asking...I don't mind explaining

I've tried to go somewhat natural before, and a few of my coworkers advised "against it" because it was considered "ghetto", especially because I was trying to move into management at the time. I heard that from both black people and white people. And I will admit that maybe I'm just not emotionally and spiritually strong enough to make that step.

Wigs have had a negative stigma attached to them for a very long time. In my opinion, a weave is a step away from a wig, so I have grown comfortable with that and I don't care. Besides, I paid for it, so I can wear it.

Ask a black woman about her hair and sweat/water and you'll probably get a universal reaction - "I CAN'T GET MY HAIR WET!!!!" There was a study done somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) where they researched why more black women don't exercise, and one of the main reasons was because of haircare and how hard it is to maintain hair because of exercise, along with the added cost.

As far as my personal story, I was a weave addict because I don't do hair, they are easy, and they don't "tell on you" as much when you sweat or get them wet. Well, wearing weaves for years has WRECKED my hairline, so I'm trying to get it back under control.

I will be getting a weave next month, though, for my ten year college class reunion.

ETA: Here's the article: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/News/NewsARti...ArticleID=2238
  • Greneyedmustng - Well PUT
  • Quote: Ask a black woman about her hair and sweat/water and you'll probably get a universal reaction - "I CAN'T GET MY HAIR WET!!!!" There was a study done somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) where they researched why more black women don't exercise, and one of the main reasons was because of haircare and how hard it is to maintain hair because of exercise, along with the added cost.

ETA: Here's the article: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/News/NewsARti...ArticleID=2238
    Wow! Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized that.

"About a third of black women cite complications of hair care as the reason they do not exercise or exercise less than they would like." That's a very substantial number.
  • LOVE this thread! I discovered the Long Hair forum (not registered, a lurker) almost a year ago and have been co washing ever since. It just felt natural to me since I DESPISE wearing a shower cap! My hair has stopped growing because I haven't had a trim in over four months but I'm going to get one as soon as I can! I recently learned how to press my own hair and I'm very proud of that. Took 22 years but I finally got it down pack. Still am totally useless with wrapping and that just ruins all my hard work! And I've also been spacing my perms. My last perm was a month ago, my first in over five months.
  • Quote: Still am totally useless with wrapping and that just ruins all my hard work! And I've also been spacing my perms. My last perm was a month ago, my first in over five months.
    I'm currently stretching my perms too (not quite as long, though). I'm on week number seven between perms, and I'm trying to hold out for another week.

And I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who can't wrap their own hair.

I hope we can keep this thread going so we can share ideas. This is something I struggle with constantly. Thanks, Cakebatter, for starting this thread!