Anyone get a little teary eyed fitting into smaller sizes?

• After reaching my 130 lb weight loss milestone last week Monday, I figured why not go into one of those "regular" (as in "regular for people wearing clothing sizes lower than a size 20-18?") stores at the mall.

So, I strolled into one of those VERY pricey stores, figuring "why the **** not?" lol. I picked up size 16 capri pants, a medium shirt, and a large spring jacket and headed to the dressing room.

The capris were comfortable on me (still haven't gotten down to a size 14 yet, but I can say I'm a very comfortable size 16 )

I was shocked that the shirt was too big! The sales lady handed me a size "small" and I have to admit, I teared up a bit in the dressing room.

Sure, it's the same size "12-14" as my usual shirts, but there's something to be said from a mental perspective when I realized, crap I'm wearing a size SMALL!!

I also apparently mistook my own size in jacket size.... I picked a large, thinking a bit baggy but comfortable would look great on me. Turns out, THAT was also too big! A medium size jacket fitted my form better.

I actually walked out of that store, and down 2 blocks before I realized I had left my bag of library books in the dressing room! (*The sales lady remembered me & was waiting for me at the counter as I hurried back into the store, lol!)

I know they're just small steps, and yes I'm fully aware the clothing industry have been enlarging clothing sizes over the years to accommodate the rising obesity trends in American consumers.

It still was a psychological boost to my self-esteem! I can't wait for the day I can shop in sizes that are single (instead of double) digits!

~ tea
  • Please DO NOT negate the pure awesome-ness of this day by saying, "well, vanity sizing.."

Vanity sizing or not, what you have accomplished to this day is something to be celebrated! Wow!

And yes, I've gotten teary eyed. The first pair of size 8 jeans I pulled over my butt in the Old Navy left the poor sales associate completely traumatized, I'm sure.
  • I know what you mean... I put on one of my 'dressier' tops for Easter dinner and had to change because it was way too big. that was an straight 18... It felt good though...
    I finally found a top that fit better and put on a coat I haven't had on since the Fall and that was hanging off of me, that was an XL ... and what an interesting find in the pockets, a bunch of mini candy bar wrappers ( ? halloween )... yikes...
  • I can't wait until that happens for me.
  • I cried over something like this the other day, but I cannot remember what it was.

Oh, I remember. It was a pair of pants that I never thought would fit me, that my friend gave to me.

I was there when she bought them for herself and I remember thinking that I will never be that size.
  • Not at all sizes. But I got teary and shaky emotional once in a dressing room. It's funny how things hit you sometimes.
  • I had a similar experience last month while visiting with my sister. We were shopping at the mall and went into the limited to look at some pants for her. On a whim I tried on some pants there and found the 18 too small and the 16 just a bit tight. I have never ever shopped there before and when I realized I actually could, it was very overwhelming.
  • Teary eyed? Oh yes. I was in Macy's and had just come downstairs from the women's sized section because the clothes were all too big on me. So, I ventured down a couple of flights to the "regular" sized clothing. Something I hadn't done in close to 2 decades. Picked out a few things - and they fit. I figured the first one was just a fluke. It ran "large". But nope the second item fit too. And so did the third and the fourth. It was no fluke! I really fit into "regular sized clothing". Teary eyed? I had to sit on the seat there and compose myself for a good ten minutes, that's how I couldn't stop crying.

Sunshine, I'm just so happy for you. Your life transforming weight loss is spectacular and I'm so glad to hear of all the great changes that are coming your way.
  • Yep. I cried when I fit into size 12 pants!

Of course, now it's a different type of crying as I definitely DON'T fit in them anymore!!!
  • I weigh myself before I take a shower so sometimes I'm happy-crying in the shower and other times I'm miserable-crying.

=D
  • What kind of a store labels a shirt size 12-14 as SMALL?
  • I do not get teary eyed, I get down right giddy!!
  • I haven't cried in a store yet but I've sobbed at home from being happy to fit into something I thought was too small. The one in particular I remember was being TOO SMALL to wear this completely hideous black synthetic cocktail dress I'd bought for a cruise in 1992. It was floating on me. It took me like 15 minutes to get a grip. I often get choked up when I try something old on for the first time and it either fits or is too big.
  • I haven't lost enough to shop yet but did get teary eyed when I found my underwear is getting droopy!!! Silly, I know!