G2009 - Reflections of the Way Life Used to Be Challenge

You're on Page 24 of 34
Go to
  • It's great to read about all of you. A lot of times I read everything, I just don't post.

And no it's not a race, thank goodness.
    Eny, it will be to your benefit to keep your weight under control, but no one has to tell you that, not even your doctor. Hoping you can get back on track a little better.

Did everyone see where Kirstie Allie has been on shows the past couple of days where she's gained all her weight back? She said she gave herself a little break and that was a big mistake. I'm sure we've all done that, I know I have.

I upped my exercise yesterday and was so proud of myself. Not only that, but It felt great! It felt so good exercising I just keeping saying a little longer, and then before I knew it, Leslie Sansone said I was at the 2 mile mark. I couldn't believe it. With my ms, I have to do her dvd's in portions, but I dont' care if it takes an hour or more to do a 20 m walk, it's better than nothing, and the scales still show it helps.

Kentucky Derby Time here, lots of festivities going on. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Quote: I just got up and it's such a relief not to feel so restricted in what I eat. I would have had to put that plan on hold over the weekend anyway, unless I wanted to carry a fanny-pack of 100-cal snacks to the Race for the Cure 5K with me tomorrow. I'm not really into any scenario that involves a fanny-pack so that's out!
    I'm giggling at the idea of the fanny pack! You could have totally rocked it! but I'm glad you're going with something that may work better for you.

I'm still jobless and still pouting. However I've been taking it out on the house cleaning and exercise. I've really got to update my fitness minutes. I'll do that in just a little while.

Edit: Alright, so I got the minutes updated, I've been working hard out in my yard this week. Planted several shrubs and a tree. Plus my DH got this "great" idea to take the tiller to all the bare spots in our yard and then reseed them... however he didn't bother to smooth them back out, just made a big mess and then spread some grass sheed over the craziness. So I've spent a good chunk of this weekend trying to clean that up. Hopefully the grass takes off and it's worth it, otherwise I might have to kill him.
  • Quote: Well, I think the time has come to re-evaluate my dieting methods - I have been seeing some crazy-awesome results with the hourly eating trick, but I'm finding that by the seventh or eighth day of doing it, I'm just way too hungry all the time to keep it up. SO, I'm thinking I'll sacrifice speed for comfort and only do this trick maybe a couple days a week, when I need a boost. Also, it's a massive pain in the tushie to cobble together six to eight mini-items to pack for my day at work. I'm also really tired of never having a hot meal. Today I couldn't stand it anymore and bought a ham, egg, and cheese "croissant" from the wheel of death in the breakroom. I don't feel bad or guilty and I know I didn't wreck my calorie budget for the day. It just brought home to me that the one way in which I have been feeling deprived is in the lack of hot food.
    Do you know about how many calories per day you want to eat? I think that it is great that you were eating often....that keeps your metabolism up...that is probably why you were losing so well. I don't think I could do that either...I'm with you....I would miss the hot meals....LOL!

What has really helped me is knowing the number of calories per day that I want to shoot for and trying to break that down into 3 main meals and two snacks per day.....For my meals I get to eat all kinds of stuff because I have found ways to make low calorie versions of my favorites....spaghetti, pizza, chicken quesadillas, tacos and burritos...and even hamburgers and desserts like strawberry shortcake (thanks Heather ) or hundred calorie packs....and I still have chips but I measure them out....this has me eating just about every 2 - 2.5 hours.....still keeping the metabolism up BUT getting to eat a bigger variety of foods....

Also...Lean Cuisine makes some AWESOME frozen dinners....I keep those so on the days I'm feeling lazy and don't want to cook I make one of those....so I'm still within my calories and I don't eat out.....also....I take them with me to school to eat for lunch...they have the pizza down pat YUMMY

• I can't STAND frozen dinners. I don't know why.

I generally eat about 1,400 calories per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm thinking I'm going to keep with the whole, multiple mini meals, thing, just not quite so regimented. I'm almost at my weekly goal anyway, so if it doesn't work quite as efficiently, that's okay. I really appreciate everyone's supportive words and advice, though
  • I'm easing back into walking, and my foot seems to be OK so far. Whew!

I've managed to avoid a lot of temptations this week. I'm really yearning for biscuits and gravy, but I think it's more of a comfort thing than wanting those specifically. I've been working really hard and am tired. I'm really looking forward to the weekend!
  • So, is the Mexico trip still on, with all this swine flu stuff happening?
  • figure i should at least say hi. and let you know i have not fallen off the edge of the world. as far as the walk across America is going i am going to start over i lost track of where i am since my exerecising has been so spuratic these last couple of weeks.
  • Quote: I can't STAND frozen dinners. I don't know why.

I generally eat about 1,400 calories per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm thinking I'm going to keep with the whole, multiple mini meals, thing, just not quite so regimented. I'm almost at my weekly goal anyway, so if it doesn't work quite as efficiently, that's okay. I really appreciate everyone's supportive words and advice, though
    Yeah...I don't like frozen dinners either....mainly I just like the pizzas from Lean Cuisine....I can tolerate a few others if I must

1,400 calorie sounds pretty do able....I think it sounds like a great plan
    I hope it works out for ya! I have recently cut my calories from 1500 calories per day to 1200 (starting today actually)... Where I'm having trouble is breakfast...I have 200 calories for breakfast which is plenty of calories if I want to eat breakfast food....yuck! But I get 400 calories for lunch and supper so I can practically eat whatever I want to as long as I make my own healthy version of it..... that leaves me 200 other calories...I have two 100 calorie snacks...usually some kind of fruit or veggies and dip...or a salad...

Keep us updated on how it goes....and be sure to tell me your recipes and secrets for sticking with it if you have any....I'm really hoping to make this my last "fat summer" LOL

So I hope everyone is doing good tday. It has been a HORRIBLE day here...it seems like it has poured down rain nonstop all day long! I went to the gym this morning and worked out during my soaps today...so I put in 70 minutes of exercise and I updated my WAA ticker.

Well....I'm off to clean out the fridge and freezer and pantry and make my menus out for the month of May...along with my shopping list to go get most of the month's groceries!!!
  • I'm having a pretty good day!

I am hungrier than usual... although I'm thinking that may be because I had junk food last night... a spicy chicken sandwich and junior frosty from Wendy's. Could have been worse... but I think it messed with my body and now it expects more food today.

I just got back from taking a walk down to the big party on campus. OMG. A big hill full of drunken underage "kids," bad music, and overpriced food. I didn't stick around, because I was afraid I'd get ed on.

I was legitimately hungry, to the point where the giant turkey legs looked good, lol... but I found this applesauce in a tube (like they do with yogurt for kids, but applesauce) so I bought one. For $2. It was only 60 calories, organic, and unsweetened... it had apple, mango, peach... and carrot and pumpkin but I think those are filler/fiber because you couldn't taste them. It was good! Heck, I'd buy them directly from the company, except that you have to get a case of 72, lol.
  • Ufi - I'm with you on the biscuits and gravy... I've been avoiding making them all week! I think tomorrow I'm going to cave though.. it's one of DD's favorites too - and I know that if I portion things out properly I can still stay in my calories.

I'm glad your foot is feeling better too!

I started using my BabyFit site again to track my calories. I know I needed to do it. I have to get this under control. Being honest and logging everything really helps to show me my trigger times and foods too. It also tracks my water intake - which I KNOW I need to get up!

Rosie - I agree with Mel... planning things out helps a TON! Knowing how many calories you want to eat per day, and per meak makes it a lot easier. If' your amazing you can even plan the whole weeks worth of meals out. I'm not that good - and sinc ei don't do the cooking it makes it more difficult. I do however make DH decide what's for dinner the night before so I can calculate it in.

Girls - I'm getting so excitedabout this baby coming. I have the room pretty much setup - I haven't washed everything yet, still a little too early for that. I finished crocheting him a blanket last night - and I have only 8 weeks until the Baby Shower extravaganza! Yes - it's an extravaganza due to the fact that my MIL is going COMPLETELY over board - there's about 100 people coming to this thing! I'm happy - because I need SO much stuff for the baby, especially since Hunter's 7 1/2 - but on the other hand I HATE beign the center of attention in large groups. Oh well - it's only one day right?

I also am SCARED TO DEATH about having another baby!! I feel like I'm out of practice. Plus with Hunter I had no spousal support - but that also meant no interference. I was telling Joe last night that it scares me because with Hunter I was just going through the motions and I really didn't "bond" with her until she was about 6 months old. I mean sure I breast fed, and held her etc. etc... but we didn't bond because I was so stressed from having to do it completely on my own. I'm also afraid of Hunter feeling jealous or left out Ugh - the woes of mommyhood!!!

Alright - I have to go pick the pretty princess up. I'll check in before bed tonight.
  • well i just got back from dinner and a walk with Travis. right now i feel like i over ate at Applebee's. but that was also about 1 hour ago and i know i will not eat again until morning. so i will be fine. if it is not raining tomorrow when i get up i will go for a walk then too and do some more exercising later in the day tomorrow. at least that is what i am planning on right now.
  • Quote: Girls - I'm getting so excitedabout this baby coming. I have the room pretty much setup - I haven't washed everything yet, still a little too early for that. I finished crocheting him a blanket last night - I also am SCARED TO DEATH about having another baby!! I'm also afraid of Hunter feeling jealous or left out Ugh - the woes of mommyhood!!!
    I wish I could say it will be easy but it wasn't for me! When I had my son Allie suddenly seemed HUGE, it's like she was this almost 2 year olf freak of a giant she just seemed almost grown up or something. It's when you look at that tiny baby suddenly the older ones seem so big, it was weird. Allie was extremely jealous and it was very hard emotionally, I felt I was betraying her and she would cry and cry when I fed him, just horrrible!

BUT Hunter is much older than she was so I think it will be better for you. She will be able to help and be included in caring for her little brother, and she can reason and talk with you about her issues, ya know? You're a wonderful mommy and you'll figure it out.

And let the hubby help all he is willing! get those girls nights out with Hunter and let the boys hang sometimes.

Quote: :I'm still jobless and still pouting. However I've been taking it out on the house cleaning and exercise. I've really got to update my fitness minutes. I'll do that in just a little while.
    So so sorry hon

Quote: Did everyone see where Kirstie Allie has been on shows the past couple of days where she's gained all her weight back? She said she gave herself a little break and that was a big mistake. I'm sure we've all done that, I know I have.
    Wow! I have the Oprah episode recorded on the DVR with her but haven't watched yet...I thought she would be showing off her hot new bod, not the other way around! I don't believe in breaks...it's all about lifestyle changes if you want it to last. I finally have realized that much. No shortcuts in this.
  • Eny - Trust me...after a few feedings and diaper changes you'll be an old pro again.....just imagine what you must have felt like when you had Hunter.....you had no idea what to expect with labor and delivery or anything thereafter...other than different stories you had heard....at least you have some first hand experience now.....and as for Hunter feeling left out....just include her as much as possible...let her help change and feed the baby....all that good fun big sister stuff...and when your in public and people just notice the baby...find a way to work Hunter in...like... "OHHHH YES he is a cute little thing...and his ADORABLE big sister just loves him to death and she helps her momma so much taking care of him...I just don't know what I would do with out her!" You will be fine!
  • Im not a big fan of frozen dinners either but they have some lean cuisines and smart ones that I like. I actually have had more smart ones that I like than lean cuisines. If anyone likes mexican alot, they have a chicken suiza enchilada dinner thats pretty tasty but its really spicy.

Melissa- Glad you like the short cakes.

Its been nice here but I wish it would stay at a average temp and stop jumping around. One min its 70 the next its only 40.

Everyone staying away from the swine flu? We got several cases around here.
  • I actually do plan my meals out, not for the whole week, but for Monday through Friday. Generally, I don't know what I've got going on for the weekend until Friday night, so the only thing that's assured is that I will be walking and that I'm getting a tall NF, SF mocha at the church coffee shop on Sunday morning. I also have decided to start walking to an from church. I did it last Sunday and it was the easiest thing in the world to walk 4.5 miles when it's broken up and there's a destination I look forward to.

Walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K today. I almost died during the thing, but now that it's been over and done with for a couple hours, and I've eaten something and gotten out of my sweaty clothes, I feel like a million bucks. Plus, we had to park like half a mile away (uphill the entire way on the walk back) and four floors of stairs at the parking garage. Things I am proud of: there was a shuttle bus to and from the event - I did not take it. There was an elevator up to the top floor of the parking garage - I did not take it. Booyah!

I don't care if I lose weight this week or not: that's how good I feel right now!