Pesto Spinach "Lasagna"

• I adapted this from a low carb site added more veggies I haven't tried the veggie ground round yet But I think The mechanics would be the same

PESTO SPINACH LASAGNA
    1 pound ground Turkey or Veggie Ground round
    1 Onion Chopped
    1 Heaping Tsp Minced Garlic to taste
    1/2 cup Pesto
    8 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese
    1 egg
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    10 -12 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained ( I nuked Mine & Drained it)
    4 ounces RF mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    Brown the Turkey with the garlic onion; drain off the fat. Or Sautee onions and add Veggie ground Mix in the Pesto.
    Meanwhile, soften the cream cheese in a medium-size microwaveable bowl for about 40-60 seconds. Stir until creamy; beat in the egg and pepper with a spoon until well mixed. Blend in the spinach. I did my mixing in the Kitchenaid
    Spread half of the meat mixture evenly in the bottom of a greased, 8 x 8" glass baking pan. Spread the spinach mixture over the meat; top with the mozzarella, then the rest of the meat. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
    Bake at 350º about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Or, cover with plastic wrap and vent one corner then microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes; then reduce to MEDIUM and cook for another 7-10 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 3 minutes before serving.
    Makes 6-9 servings
    Can be frozen
    for 6 servings
    Pesto Low Carb Lasagna 0.17 385 calories
  • This sounds good, KO. I'm going to make it tonight with Tofurkey Italian Sausage, and I'll report back to let you know how it was. Thanks!
  • This looks delish!
  • I made this for supper tonight and it is delicious! I think it would go great served with a light tomato gravy. It would make a good stuffing for peppers and portabello mushrooms, too.

Thanks again, Keirie, for sharing the recipe with us.
  • The Funny thing is THe original recipe called for a half cup of tomato sauce instead of pesto. . .but I couldn't get the jar open so I improvised!!! Where do you find tofurkey sausage?
  • I get my Tofurkey Italian Sausage at Trader Joe's, since it's so inexpensive there, but I've seen it at Wegman's and Giant, too. Look in the refrigerated natural foods section.

I think making this with the pesto was a great decision, and I'm going to keep making it that way, and drizzle the tomato sauce over each serving. Mmmmm, I'm already looking forward to a piece for lunch tomorrow.