Walking and fluid retention

• I've gone back to walking for exercise, and very quickly have got to the point that I get crabby if I think I'm going to run out of time to get a walk in. (It's not safe to walk after dusk round here. )
    I don't want to mis-represent myself, I'm not talking serious trekking, I'm talking a 30-45 minute brisk walk with a dog round my local streets; but it's 30-45 minutes a day more than the virtually zero activity I've taken for the previous 4+ years.

OK, next datum:
    I've lost 25lbs since the end of January. In the first few weeks I was eating a mostly vegetarian, non-dairy diet, and my ankles, which are always prone to water retention, became slim and almost bony. I like that. Not only do I like slim legs, to me it's a sign of my body getting healthier, if I'm not holding water.

So then I decided to factor in the walking. Since when my ankles have been swelling again. They've been like that for over a week now. Sure they go down over night but nothing like they were doing. For example, this morning they're much better than last night but worse than they were by the End of the day a couple of weeks ago.

I'm no longer eating the non-dairy veggie way, although not heavy on the meat, no red meat, no cheese; I've removed the store-bought bread, apart from a single whole wheat pita a day.

I wondered if any exercisers had any insights for me? Does walking (any new exercise) stir up the gunk a bit and my ankles will settle down? I'd hoped that the walking would make them even better. Don't get me wrong, I won't stop the walking! but I'd be interested to know if this is a Thing that can happen.

Thanks.
  • I swell when walking too!!!Usually my fingers?????