Going to have RNY

• Hello,

I have been all over these boards over the years, WW, low carb, workout, general diets. For me nothing worked. So, I am trying to be brave and do this.

I am going to a informational seminar tomorrow on RNY. I am also getting my referral from my PCP tomorrow. I already know I qualify, insurance will cover it. I have just been a coward for too long.

Do you know some great sites for me to check out. I have been all over Obesity Help. Any others?

My doc will be dr. Pennings in Idaho. Any western contacts or sites?

BabySteps (turning into a leap)
  • Hi honey! There's a great support group here in Boise! It's pretty big and very helpful for questions on pre-surgery things as well as post surgery and is a good source for support. If you are anywhere near us...it's the St. Luke's bariatric support group held in the Anderson Building across from the Downtown St. Luke's. The website, for now anyway, is www.thinidaho.com but will be changing soon.

They meet the 3rd Monday of every month and are a fabulous set of people!

Good luck at the info meeting tomorrow...OH and bring a list of your questions...I didn't write them down and forgot half of them! hehe

Angela
  • I wish I were closer to you. My doc is actually in Post Falls. Dr. Pennings. I live in East Washington. There use to be a support group here, not any more though....naturally, now that I need it

I am such a coward, I am freaking out a little now and Im not even having surgery tomorrow! Dang it. I keep having thoughts like, "your so stupid for thinking about this, just stop shoveling it in! " + "how can you re-route Gods perfect system just because you wont diet." + "What if you die" ..........

You all get the picture. Did any of you do this? How did you fight it through? I know I need this.

Babysteps
  • I know exactly how you feel, honey. As they say...bravery isn't a lack of fear, it's realizing you are afraid and finding the inner strength to do it anyway. Besides don't worry too much about it...you haven't fully decided yet. Take things one day at a time, one step at a time. Doors will open if it's supposed to happen, right? Go to the meeting and find out all you can, ask the questions that are burning for you...in the long run, it's educating yourself that will help the most with your decision.

As my mother used to say, "It'll all come out in the wash!"

Angela
  • How about reading "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies"? It is really a good book and covers before and after. Good luck my dear.
  • This was the best website ever when I was deciding to have surgery. It actually will let you view testimonials of people that have already had surgery. It also show you a demonstration of the procedure. www.bariatricedge.com Also, I too went through questioning my decision to alter God's perfect work. I am a strong proponent in believing that all that God does is very much perfect...then I came to grips with the thought that God has given us very technologically savvy doctors to help us in our journey in life. I prayed before making my decision to have surgery and so far and grateful. I am in constant prayer that my recovery will continue being well. I am 3 months out and I am still learning about healthy eating. It is a very personal choice and does seem hard to redo or undo our God given anatomy.
    Good Luck
  • Well, I am going for my apt with the mental health people doc and everyone else April 7th.

After meeting Doc. Pennings I feel much better, he is a christian, his complication rate is very low. I think I am in good hands

BabySteps
  • I am glad to hear that your mind is more at ease.