Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Treadmill running vs. running outdoors

Hi everyone. Am new here and also new to trying to get fit and in shape. Of course that means exercise is a part of the daily routine. For a while now, I have been going to a gym semi-regularly. One of my fave cardio workouts in 60 min on the treadmill alternating with running (around 8.5/9km pace) and walking (around 6.5km pace). I have worked up to a point where I can run easily for 20+ min at the higher pace, walk a quick couple min and get back to running.

Since I have signed up to do a half marathon this fall though, I figured I need to get out and start running outdoors, too, now that spring is making an appearance. And man does it kick my bum! I find myself struggling to run straight through for 5-10 min at a stretch. Should I be watching to do things any certain way, or is there really that big of a difference between treadmill running and outdoor running? Am sure a month from now the latter will be much easier, I'm just a bit surprised at the difference! Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
janeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

There is definitely a difference. I find treadmill running a lot easier than outdoor running but I also live in a hilly area. Treadmill running can give you some good preparation and a good starting point but the best thing for running outdoors is to run outdoors.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I ran outdoors for 8 or 10 months and then got a treadmill. At first I didn't think it was all that much easier on the treadmill, but the other day I took the dog for a run. OMG, I could hardly run as far as I had the previous year! Outdoors is way more difficult!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

outdoor running is definitely harder esp with hills and changing inclines. running on the street or sidewalk is also harder on the joints because treadmills have some inherent give that concrete doesnt have. Running outside is the best way to train for races but if you're stuck inside, putting the treadmill at a slight incline (1 or 1.5) can simulate being outside
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

There are a couple of other factors that make outdoor harder too. We do get a little bit of "belt assist" on the TM, making it seem as though we go faster than we actually would with comparable outside effort. To approximate the same effort, raise the incline to 2%, as described above. I also think that we try to run a little faster outside because the perspective is so very different.

But, I agree, outdoor running is a different animal! I like it better though because it's, well, outside!

Good luck with your half marathon training program -- you have plenty of time. It's my favorite race distance!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

Maybe I'm crazy, but I always thought that running outside was easier. I ran cross country in high school and a little after and I never had as much trouble running those races then when I tried to run on a treadmill. I guess I just get board running in place easily and it seems harder. Outside I always had something new to look at and felt like I was actually "going" somewhere.

*Shrugs* That might just be me though...
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have never really run on a treadmill so I am unsure. I was having trouble a few weeks ago with getting sidestitches am I did some research on proper breathing technqiues. I cannot absolutely CANNOT believe the difference that my breathing makes. Not only did I quite getting sidestitches, my workout got easier. Once I started the recommended way I was able to increase my distance but quite a bit. You may want to do some reading yourself and some trial and error.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-19-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #8  
Just Me

Well I find running outside pleasurable even if its difficult but I find running on a treadmill easier on legs/lungs but so incredibly boring and I rather someone shoot me than make me run on a treadmill
Old 03-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #9  

I have the same problem. The other day, I went to the gym and ran 24 minutes straight - 2 miles. Then yesterday I was outside, in a relatively flat area, and I could only run 12 minutes - 1 mile, before I felt sick.

I'm definitely going to have to work harder in order to run the same distances outside.
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I think it depends what surface you started running on first, I'm always surprised but I've come across quite a few people who think running on the treadmill is harder than outdoors. I'm definitely opposite, outside is tougher.
The encouraging things is the more you run outdoors the easier it becomes. Give yourself sometime to adjust.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #11  
Picking Myself back up

Height: 5'6 1/2

I run in doors.. I dont feel right running outdoors..
I run out of breath quickly.. But maybe its just because im starting off!
So until im in good Shape! It's the treadmill for me!!
Grace73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I enjoy running outside far more than the treadmill - most of the time! On a rainy or very windy day of course the idea of being outside in the elements doesn't hold as much appeal lol.

I find the outdoors to supply more variety - on the treadmill I have to consciously choose the incline whereas an outdoor route just has them and I have no choice. It's more challenging, it has more to look at, the air is fresh and keeps me cooler (some gyms get very sweaty very quickly)

BUT

It definitely works the legs and lungs a lot lot more!

Treadmills are easier on my body but its easy to get into a routine and end up not challenging myself as much as I could.

I just get BORED on a treadmill lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Well I must say after reading this I AM SCARES TO DEATH. I have been taking pride in having built up to running 2.25 miles. I was planning running at nearby trail on sunday and now I am like IDK! I don't wanna be discouraged....I mean if I can't do it outside then it is not "tru" ya know.? And I am planning to run a 5K in May!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I mostly walk fast on my treadmill and outside now that it's starting to get warmer, so I can't see the difference but I think outside would be harder if you're actually running. If I tried to run, I'd break my neck, I trip walking across flat ground let alone trying to run!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #15  
Just Me

CakeBatter - go do the trail. Do intervals if you have to. Run, then walk, then run. I know people who do 5ks do use the treadmill occasionally and also water running.