South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  

Default sugarfree stuff

I dont like sf stuff so I dont want to have this in sb pd1. I was told by my doctor that sugar substitute raises the insulin but then you dont get the sugar and it can cause hypoglycemia. I know it does that with me unless I eat a protein with it. Can I do this w/out the sweet sf stuff? I have hypoglycemia so I am trying to clean up my diet. I am trying to limit the chemicals too.
lanagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

You can absolutely do without the artificial sweeteners on SBD
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

If I remember correctly, we are limited to 75 "sweet" calories anyway per day. I know the chicks here use other "natural" sweeteners like Stevia and others. Welcome to the beach and good luck!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Dessert is an option, not a necessity. I seldom eat desserts and would rather have the real thing than some of the Splenda concoctions.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

When you get into P2, you can even try making things with small amounts of agave nectar. Stevia is safe in P1, too.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I can't have sugar substitutes and I don't care for stevia at all. I followed the vegetarian diet plan over on the official SBD site for a while substituting meat/poultry/fish for the tofu (can't have soy either). Those menus did not use ANY sugar substitutes but rather relied on the sugars and sweetness of fruits as in LF ricotta with pear or cantelope. I put fruit in my oatmeal (chopped apples, organic unsw. applesauce, banana, blueberries, etc.). Something to try when you get into PH2. On PH1 I did not have any of the suggested sweet things.

Other PH2 stuff: I DO use 1 tsp of honey or maple syrup on occasion & count it towards my sweet treat. I also use raw sugar/honey/maple syrup/molasses when baking bread. The amount I use is substantially less than commercial breads use plus no preservatives/chemicals.

This brings up a point to consider regarding sugars. Commercially prepared products contain a lot more sugar & salt than what you make yourself. Using them and then using sugar substitutes may seem on plan but is it really?

I think one of the major points of the SBD is to eat a healthier more natural diet. If you are used to a lot of sweet things in your eating it may take a little time but your tastes will change to appreciate the natural sweetness in foods (esp. fruit). You can easily follow SB without sweeteners.

Last edited by mizski; 03-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 339.2/327.6/175

Height: 5'10"

I really can't eat too many sugar free things. It causes major sugar cravings for me. I can have a little Splenda in my coffee and a SF Fudgesicle but that's about it. I'm even finding the SBD bars are making me hungry for sweets.
MomPOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Won't give up my Crystal Light.

I use a half packet of Splenda with my coffee once a day and drink two glasses of Raspberry Crystal Light a day.

SBD makes a bar? They have their own food line?
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 339.2/327.6/175

Height: 5'10"

Oh yeah, there are all kinds of SBD bars. Look at your grocery store near where they have the granola bars, etc. They have a S'mores and Chocolate that I really like. There are a few other flavors as well.
MomPOM is offline   Reply With Quote