Mother of all salads + husband funny

• you read it right. for dinner tonight i made the mother of all super awesome salads (for me anyway.) it was so huge and delicious i was going to take a pic to post but didnt want hubby to think i was insane so i was waiting until he wasn't around and forgot. anyway, back to the salad- i put together

3 C baby spinach
    3 artichoke hearts
    5 jumbo marinated and garlic stuffed olives sliced (first time i ever tried these- they are AMAZING)
    2 egg whites
    1 roma tomato
    1 oz fat free feta
    2 oz cold chopped chicken
    and 4 tbs fat free italian dressing

total was about 300 cals for the whole thing and i put it on a plate so it looked HUGE. so you guys should try it- it was SUPER yummy.

on to the funny- hubby looks at my plate and says "thats a LOT of food- you gonna eat all that??"
    me- "yes" (duh!)
    him- "well i thought you were on a diet? that's not a diet salad"
    me- "yes it is"
    him- "EGGS? CHICKEN? i think you're way off..."
    me- "egg WHITES and i can have chicken..."

we go back and forth a little more until i finally tell him the whole breakdown of the salad and how many cals are in it. the conversation ends abrubtly when i say "i lost 25lbs already- i must be doing SOMETHING right" to which he looks at his plate of FAJITAS with sour cream and cheese (that he cooked for himself) and back to my killer salad all longingly....
  • I love it when that happens. My dad gives me crap all the time about me eating "all that food" However, I am the one down 45lbs and he is the one still fat and is a heart attack waiting to happen. Hmmmmmmmm
  • I LOVE spinach salads!! DeF going to have to try it!!!
  • hahahaha hilarious! sounds delish!
  • you know bee- we don't ever talk about weight. we just never have. so i DEF don't talk to him about all the "diet crap" that you guys hear. but i think he's really starting to notice how much my body has changed and he's trying to get "in" a little haha. i DO eat a lot of food! just the good for you stuff!

after i posted this everybody wanted some ice cream for dessert (my DIET stuff that has butterfinger candy in it. they don't know it's diet mwa ha ha ha) so i fed some to the baby. just a bit ago i put myself a serving into a dish and he was like "you're gonna have MORE??" and i told him i didn't eat any the first time and i was setting this aside for my snack later. i think he's in disbelief that i can eat bunches of food and even ice cream and be skinny minnie
  • lol @ "you're gonna have MORE??" =)
  • Your salad sounds awesome! The only difference with me is that I once got myself a spinach salad, really didn't like it, so i took it home and cooked the spinach leaves and had them for dinner. Apparently I love every vegetable except uncooked spinach.

Btw, i love love love hearing your excitement about reaching goal and all the perks that go with it! It gives me hope that I WILL get there. Sounds like fun.
  • LOL. I think my boyfriend believes I have some sort of life-threatening thyroid disorder. When we first moved in together he was shocked to see that I ate so much...the only female he had lived with was his mother, who, to his great confusion, eats half as much but is twice as large. After seeing me lose about fifteen pounds while eating five times the volume he does (his daily intake consists purely of pizza rolls and Keebler's chocolate chip cookies), he has come to the conclusion that if I don't eat mountains of food I would wittle away to nothing, and gets worried if I haven't eaten in two hours.
  • I love it!

Heres a funny hubby story for you:

Hubby: "What do you mean vegetable oil has fat in it?"
    Me: "Um.....vegetable oil IS fat. Its OIL."
    Hubby: "But...its made from vegetables. Vegetables are not fat."

And then there was the time when he asked me why I didnt order a doughnut. I told hm, and then he looked up from his boston creme, stared me straight in the eye, and said "Wait... doughnuts are bad for you?????"

Clueless. Absolutely clueless.
  • That salad sounds good..and yes, you are so right about the garlic stuffed olives..FAB! ...I have been making my own as of recent to save the $$$...my sister in law intro. me to them over the holiday and oh, my HEAVEN..
  • That a pretty funny story. 2 nights ago my husband and I had almost the same conversation. I had a huge plate with salad, low fat dressing & garlic chicken, with mixed veggies. I mean this was a huge plate but he was floored when I told him that my whole plate had less calories then his 1 slice of pizza.
  • HAHAHAHA you guys are cracking me up- i guess a lot of hubbys/bfs are alike. (i had a similar experience with the olive oil issue)

my husband was also in shock when i told him my giant salad only had about 300 cals. that's what happens when you eat VEGETABLES intead of beef, flour tortillas and cheese....
  • You go Girl and the salad sounds awesome!