Surprise calories

• So I am going to dinner @ Ruby Tuesdays tonight. The great thing about them is that all their foods calories is online. Look at this...

How is is that the beef has less calories and less fat than the chicken and the chicken has less calories and less fat than the fish!!! This is NOT what I would have thought. And this is only for the main entree, not any sides!

So I guess I am having steak for dinner!!!
  • I love that more and more restaurants are putting nutrition information on their websites. It makes it much easier to plan ahead for dinner or lunch.

I would think the fish and chicken have higher calories because of marinades, sauces, toppings, etc. The steak is just steak, nothing extra added. I have to stay away from a lot of ingredients because of food intolerance issues so steak is always my first choice because it rarely has anything extra with it.

Enjoy your dinner...steaks sounds really good!
  • Enjoy your steak! Mmmm.... it's funny how the calories and fat can be so off from what you would expect them to be. It's always nice when restaurants put the nutritional info up.
  • I got the 9oz steak from Ruby Tuesday's and it was tiny! lol I guess it was 9oz before they cooked it? The grilled chicken was slightly bigger and left me wondering why it was more calories than the steak too lol

Have fun eating out!
  • I am also leaving 300 calories to allow for "amounts may vary"
  • Ok, here's something that really concerns me:
    on the ruby tuesday website, they have their "lighter" section (which was cut and pasted above) - lists the petite sirloin as 190 calories (link

But if you look at their pdf of all the nutritional information (link - it's on the right side of the website), it lists the petite sirloin at 309 (which seems a lot more like I would expect - but 50% more calories than listed on their light list).

A little more research comes across some advice that the "regular" 300 calorie sirloin is with a "steak butter" sauce; while the "light" version is without.... but I have a feeling I wouldn't have thought to order it with no sauce based upon the "light" website information!

(Though thanks for the reminder - I'm traveling this weekend and I miss Ruby Tuesday! I might have to request a visit there!)
  • Generally, a serving of fish, chicken or fish would have similar calories for the same sized serving. The salmon is a fatty fish and not sure what they are putting on the tilapia or of its simply a bigger serving size. I would guess that the grilled chicken is closer to a 9 oz serving which would equate more with the 9 oz steak.
  • calories in things constantly suprise me !!! we have a coffee place in canda, Tim Horton's, and they sell lunch deals - you get a soup, roll & butter, coffee and a cookie... I was looking at the nutrition into, the super tiny roll is 200 cals without butter! the COOKIE is MORE calories than the CREAM soup!!! lol needless to say I don't eat that any longer ~ the whole thing was something like 900 cals for a tiny lunch!
  • Wow...good catch! And on the "smart eating menu" there is 51 calories between the 2 sirloins and on the .pdf there is only 27.

Very interesting!
  • Be sure to have the mashed califlower as your side, it is very good.
  • And the salad bar is to die for! You can get filled easily on just that!
  • I always forget Ruby's (California Chain) does not equal Ruby Tuesday's. I was like salad bar, wait what?

The only thing I can eat at Ruby Tuesday's is the salad bar and I've been there a couple times. The salad bar is pretty good.
  • Wow! I am quite surprised! Enjoy your steak We don't have a Ruby's here but we do have a Luby's