I get so sick if I don't eat, I'm serious, what's wrong with me?

• I will have breakfast and think that I'm doing good..THEN I get this queasy feeling like if I don't get something on my stomach I'm going to pass out, throw up, I get dizzy and I start shaking, especially hand.

Once I eat I'm okay...THEN 1/2 hour of LESS I get the same feelings over again.

I'm trying to eat lighter than usual and do what I call 'grazing'..have something around me all the time foodwise BUT I can't do this and expect to lose weight..

Anyone else like me? Please say I'm not alone

Thank All of You for being Here.

ASoutherner~
  • I get that feeling if I take a multivitamin on an empty or mostly empty stomach, other then that no. Are you watching your calories to make sure you have enough daily?
  • What are you eating? Protein and higher fiber whole grains will break down more slowly in your system and keep your blood sugar more stable.
  • I would suggest talking to your doctor about this, because it sounds a lot like hypoglycemia.

This used to happen to me only when I'd gone alot longer without food. I had always suspected it was low blood sugar (because my thin sister tends towards hypoglycemia and when she goes very long without eating, she will throw up and/or pass out - she's fainted in public several times), but I wasn't sure until I was put on metformin to control blood sugar (I'm not diabetic, but am borderline, or what they call insulin resistant). I really need to carry a granola bar or something with me (I tend to forget), because I do get ill when my blood sugar drops.

You may not be eating enough (what's your daily calories, and how much are you eating each time). You can lose weight grazing. To shrink my stomach, I did that for quite some time - and I would get the blood sugar drop symptoms more frequently, but not usually every 1/2 hour (but much more often than when eating larger meals). If you're eating 100 calories or less with each graze, it's possible that you're just running out of fuel, and the symptoms are your body telling you so. If eating more doesn't satisfy you for longer, I think it's important to talk to your doctor to see if you have a blood sugar issue.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I eat primarily Chicken and Fish..very little Red Meat.

I need to look more at the Protein and I'll talk to my Doctor.

Thanks Again

ASoutherner~
  • What about fruits, veggies, and other sources of carbs? For myself, protein alone never sticks with me very long. I'm more prone to the lightheadedness if I'm eating too few carbs. I try to avoid or limit grain carbs, but eat plenty of veggies and some fruits.

You need to know (not saying that you don't) that low carb and low fat is an unhealthy combo, so if you're eating chicken and fish, but virtually no carbohydrates you could be dealing with "rabbit starvation." Lean protein cannot sustain you, you need fats and carbohydrates in your diet. Even in Atkins induction, you need the 2 to 3 cups of veggies because without the veggies, you can get very sick.

Rabit starvation got its name from the pioneers in the wagon trains. They noticed that if people had only rabbit to eat (a very lean protein) they would get ill and die rapidly (it's been said, but not proven that a person actually will die sooner on a diet of exclusively lean protein than they would on no food at all.

Make sure you're getting healthy fats and veggies into your diet.
  • First off, I think you should see your doctor. You might be having blood sugar issues. Or it could be withdrawal of something like sugar or salt- I had some terrible side effects when I stopped eating a ton.
  • Quote: I will have breakfast and think that I'm doing good..THEN I get this queasy feeling like if I don't get something on my stomach I'm going to pass out, throw up, I get dizzy and I start shaking, especially hand.

Once I eat I'm okay...THEN 1/2 hour of LESS I get the same feelings over again.

I'm trying to eat lighter than usual and do what I call 'grazing'..have something around me all the time foodwise BUT I can't do this and expect to lose weight..

Anyone else like me? Please say I'm not alone

Thank All of You for being Here.

ASoutherner~
    Hi, Did you ever figure out what was going on the exact same thing happens to me and i have no idea what so ever what it is i've went through all sorts of test and have gotten nowhere your response would be greatly appreciated
  • I was going to bring up rabbit starvation, and Kaploids beat me to it .

Your body will adapt to low fat or low carb, but not both!

What do you eat in a usual day? Just chicken and fish??

It definitely sounds like a blood sugar issue.
  • hello
    wow i thought it was only me i been feeling this since i was 26 an now im going to be 35 in afew days it just worse my doc did me some blood an only comes out im anemic but theres got to be something else i feel just like u everything u said thats me just i get worse an alot like 2 ,3 times a day.
  • Like answers.
    I think you seeing you doctor is good too. I was eating low carb and low fat for a year, losing weight, and being happy. But, i was not getting enough fluids, guess what, I got uric kidney stones so bad that I had to have surgery. Thats my story.

So I have seen a nutritinist.

I think the advice of kaplods above was really good.
  • Ulcer
    What you are describing sort of sounds like a duodonal ulcer, the pain caused by it can be confused with hunger and eating food makes it feel better for a while, people are always quick to say its a blood sugar problem if anyone says not eating makes them sick, there are other possibilities, also just thought id mention that sugary drinks ease nasea in general, which could make any condition involving nasea seem like diabetes. Make sure you talk to a doctor.
  • Could it be sugar.
    Hi A. Southerner! I have had that problem as well. Especially for breakfast, try to eat protein. Sugar and insulin resistance can make you feel bad.