21 Day Challenge #5

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Thanks for your encouraging words, Babette. Strangely, something seems to have shifted between me and this woman. She's pushed me around for 8 years, she was probably wondering what took me so long to rise up on my hind legs and push back! So could be a good thing--time will tell.

Got some happy news today. Seems I've dropped a few pounds! I had a doc's appointment 2 1/2 months ago and I weighed 159 then and today when I went I weighed 152!

Still can't call this Day one because I haven't been perfect food-wise. Another one of my oh-so-clever self sabotage techniques is indulging in all-or-nothing thinking!

Babette! 10 days!!! You're an inspiration!
  • Day 11
    Good Morning!

Yes, I made it through thus far. Don't be too much in awe, Eydie -- I make the rules pretty easy to follow. All I have to do to comply is to eat only at the table (and without reading) when I'm alone and to only eat if I am hungry. The first rule is only in place because it makes the second one easier -- I tend to eat a lot more when it's part of a "coccooning" experience. I remember that one Jungian theorist said that eating (at least in this way) was "reunion with the mother" -- no wonder it has such a powerful draw!

The concept is that I would never have become overweight in the first place if I'd followed these rules, so eventually it will take the weight off. However, I think that I might have to start to keep track of points or calories and limit them a bit to lose more quickly.

I'm going on a trip this evening, taking my son and grandson to visit my ex and ex-MIL (answer to the question: What could be worse than a vacation to MIL's house? Which I just escaped). Anyway, I won't be near a computer until Sunday evening, so I'll have to update then.

Eydie! Congrats on the weight loss -- that's great!!!

Let's make this a good one!
    xo
    babette
    11/211 (-4)/1
  • Day 14!!!
    I can hardly believe I've made it this far, but I have. After dozens of Day 1s, 2s, & 3s, I finally got on a roll. And it actually is starting to feel like I'm getting it and - perhaps not coincidentally - like my jeans are getting looser! Hooray! There have been times through the many false starts that I really doubted whether this approach was going to work, but I'm becoming more firmly convinced!

It was all but impossible to exercise over the weekend, and I didn't get any significant exercise on Thurs or Friday, so that's four days. But I'm back, Baby! Today I want to do so much that I feel like I wish I had 2 days. Maybe I'll have to save some of it for tomorrow It's great to feel like I have the physical and mental energy to do stuff though.

It was an interesting experience going over to visit my ex-DH and ex-MIL, SIL and neice. To say I enjoyed it would be a stretch, but I did enjoy some parts of it and I felt, in some odd way, that I was reclaiming some part of myself and that I feel a bit more complete for having been there. I don't fully understand what this is all about, but it feels healthy.

I'm going to go clean my house up -- DH took care of some chores, but cleaning the house (or even attempting to keep it tidy) was apparently NOT on his list. Then I'm going to do some yoga, have breakfast and go for a walk. I'll practice Tai Chi throughout the day, and may go to the gym with DH when he gets off work.

Hello? Helllllooooo? Is there anybody out there? If so, how are you doing?

Let's make this a great one!

xo
    babette
    14/211 (-4)/1
  • Hi Babette! Big congrats on reaching the 14 Day milestone!!! That's wonderful!

We're on vacation this week and the goal is to do some new things and some healthy fitness oriented things. Today we went to the zoo-the big one in N. Carolina and wandered thru admiring all the beasts for 7 hours. Lots of walking and no tram rides for us, and brought our own healthy lunch too. Had a great time!
    And we've planned a couple of long hikes and paddleboating, etc.
    Today at the zoo I was struck by how different this trip was to the last time I went, about 6 years ago, before I started my fitness journey. I have MUCH more stamina, handle the heat better, and not to mention I feel okay being seen in shorts and a tank top!
    Yep, life's pretty sweet. Hope the trend continues!
  • Day 15
    Yes, Day 15!!! I am going to make it through Block 1 this time! I had a great day yesterday -- if anything I ate too little and exercised too much, but it was what I felt like doing. I just wasn't very hungry (think i may have a little bit of a bug of some kind but i feel ok other than the physical symptoms, don't have the lack of energy or overall crummy feeling). DH is away for a few days, so I'll have a bit more time to get things done. I'm off for a walk around the harbour and some tai chi.

Eydie -- that's so fabulous!!! It sounds like you got 10 years younger in the last six years. WTG!!! Enjoy your vacation -- it sounds like a lot of fun.

Let's make this a wonderful day!

xo
    babette
    15/211 (-4)/1
  • Day 16 -- a "personal best"!
    I am very happy to report that I have reached Day 16. I do believe that I'll make 21 this time. Yesterday my food intake was perfect! I've been doing some reading on the fruits and veggies thing and have seen a lot of recommendations for 9 servings a day, so that's what I'm trying to do. It really cuts into the amount of other stuff that you can fit in Plus makes you feel great! I also walked for over and hour and did two sessions of Chi gunq and one of Tai Chi.

Also happy to report that I've had an actual weight loss of FOUR pounds this week. Early in this challenge we decided not to post the gains, but only leave the number the same until we lost. WELL. I got down to 211 a couple of days after I'd had my wisdom teeth out and couldn't really eat much and have mostly been bouncing between 213 - 215 since. Last week it was 215 and this week my posted weight is ACCURATE! I am ON MY WAY to ONE-DERLAND!!!!

Today I'm going to walk over to the gym and do a half-hour on the cross trainer and two sets of weights. I've already done half a yoga session and will do the other half post-gym.

I hope (that is, of course, if anyone is reading ) that you have a wonderful day!

xo
    babette
    11/211 (-4)/1
  • Day 17
    Yes, 17 days in! And from this lofty perch, I can say that it is getting a lot easier all the time. The behavior I'm trying to instil is becoming more and more habitual and I have a lot fewer impulses that I have to fight. I was struck with the thought that, even though you can't just quit eating unlike with other addictions, such as smoking or drinking and saying no to a plate of fudge doesn't immediately have a visible effect, each day you can be getting skinnier. That's the thought I'm holding "skinnier every day"

It sometimes seems a little unfair to me that someone with a drinking problem can decide not to drink and ... Voila! S/he is sober! But a chubber can decide not to overeat and --- well, some months or years down the road they will be thin. If s/he remains diligent. Oh well. The important thing is to be on the way.

xo
    babette
    17/211 (-4)/1
  • Babette, you are the queen! Yes, you're going to make it to 21 days and beyond--feels good, doesn't it? You're an inspiration! The longest 'streak' I ever had was 32 days and I don't know why it's so hard for me to get back on track, because I feel so incredible on so many levels when I'm completely on program.
    So I'm still trying to have my first day! Doing well with working out anyway, and mostly doing okay with food. I'm on vacation now and my big problem is we're out in the world every day and I succumb to some treat either out of desire or low-blood sugar!
    I seem to have my passion back for gardening after many years of gardening half-heartedly! I never really bought the idea of gardening being aerobic till now--I can get out there and really work up a sweat and be sore the next day! My garden is weed free and I'm insanely proud of that!

Babette, I'm with you about getting in all those fruits and veggies--I try for 9 servings a day too. A trick that works for me is trying to get in at 2-3 servings at breakfast---it just sets the tone for the day, you know? and lest I forget-- congrats on the 4 pounds gone, never to be seen again!

• Day 18
    Eydie, sounds like your gardening is a fabulous obsession! We're in a new house that needs a lot of work, so our energies have a lot of places to be focussed, but I intend to get some plants in on the weekend. SO exciting to plant things and then see their progress. My dad used to take a kitchen chair out to the back yard and sit and look at his garden.

I'm liking the "skinnier every day" motto -- it really helps me keep in mind that each choice -- what I eat, how much of it, whether I exercise, how much, how much water I drink -- is either going to lead me to greater sveltness or impede my progress. At the end of each day, I want to be able to say that I am further along the road to Onederland.

xo
    babette
    17/211 (-4)/1
  • Day 19
    Uh-huh. Day 19 only 2 more to get all the way round block 1. I'm going to have to give it some thought as to what my added challenge for Block 2 will be. I'm thinking maybe of adding points and having to be in the losing zone to count a day as successful. Or possibly allowing 1-3 "maintaining range" days in the 21.

Today I'm going to do half a yoga session and then walk over to the gym for 30 mins on the cross trainer and 2 sets circuit training. After I get back I'll do the other half of my yoga. Then DH and I are going to either work outside or paint the study (we haven't been able to use it yet - we haven't moved stuff into it, other than boxes of books So that's my exercise plan for today, all i have to do is maintain my eating habits and I will be on to Day 20 tomorrow. Looking for another good loss on Weds! I can do it!

Let's make this a fabulous day!

xo
    babette
    17/211 (-4)/1
  • Hi Babette! I'm so proud of you and so inspired!
    I need the inspiration 'cause today was a bad food day! Absolutely no need for me to go into the gory details, suffice it to say that I'm ready to start my first block. I've set my mind to this before and I can do it again. I told my husband that when I get back on track and feeling great I'll not look back!
    I'm going to spend tonight and tomorrow making my grand plan! Anyway, I want to declare my intention to start--and no foolin'!!!
  • Day 20

Good Morning!

Yesterday went pretty much as planned, although I never did get in the second half of my yoga. I'll try to do a set today, and some tai chi. DH and I ended up painting the study for a couple of hours and between the exercise and that and housework, I was really going all day. Must have burned off a good whack of calories

Eydie, thanks so much for all your encouragement - it's really helped! And at long last, after SO many false starts, I truly believe that this 21- Day commitment has made it much easier for me. I'm not fighting myself and my impulses nearly as much. It's very freeing! Don't worry about the bad day -- sometimes it takes a bad one to motivate us. As for the gory details, rest assured that most of us have done as badly or worse ONWARD!!!

xo
    babette
    17/211 (-4)/1
  • Good Morning!
    Before the day really starts and just in case it slips my mind,[ ] I want to again declare my intentions to start Block 1 and beyond. I may have to 'white-knuckle' it thru the first day or two but I can do this!
  • Day 21!!!

Good Morning!

YES!!!!! I made 21 days- well, officially I guess I still have to get through today, but I can't conceive of not making it! Today I'll devote some time to planning what I'll add to my challenge for the next block. I'm still a little undecided over whether counting points would be good or counterproductive. Today I'll decide -- I think possibly giving myself a generous range of points might work.

Yesterday I walked 3 miles and did a set of chi qung and then spent several hours painting and taking up carpet -- SO glad to have that finally out of the house. It was about 30 years old and the previous owners had a dog that apparently was not well trained Ewwww!

Eydie (or anyone else who might be listening), I think tomorrow i might start a new thread with a more generalized challenge, just stipulating the format and suggesting that anyone who wants to join the challenge identify their target behaviour for the blocks. What do you think? It would be nice to see a few more posters. But I intend to keep going with this in any case...

xo
    babette
    17/211 (-4)/1
  • General Blockettedom ...
    Yo, Babette! You are doing great. Keep up the good work. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with as a sort of generalized block/streaky do-your-thing challenge (it doesn't make sense to me to do the blocks by anyone else's guidelines ... guess that's my problem in life). I'm now streaking on what I call The Azure Initiative (don't ask, another of my fantasies). I'm up to 164.5 pounds, which is the wrong direction ... my goal is 135 now, 155 for THE AZURE INITIATIVE, which is six weeks long (two blocks to you guys) with a WEEKLY average of somewhere in the calorie range of 1700-1799 calories and 1750 exercise calories (at least) burned per week (the averaging gives me the option to splurge or rest and still be in the ballpark, e.g., only if I know the day is so bad I can't get to the weekly goals will I start the streak over ). I'm keeping up the positive thinking, too, plus going to school and working and doing everything I'm supposed to (so that means I'll be successful, right?) I'm on Day 2 of this initiative. WOO-HOO!!!