South Beach Muffins

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Honest to goodness bread-like muffins. I found these on Recipezaar and had one for breakfast this morning. REALLY GOOD!!! Quick and simple! A great change of pace if you're tired of eggs.

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use more)
    * 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
    Directions

1.Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray (or use a muffin liner).
    2. Mix the egg and splenda until well combined (I use a fork), add the yogurt and blend well.
    3. Mix in the ground flaxseed, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined.
    4. Pour in ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).
    5. These taste best served hot.

Serving: 1

I added some chopped pecans and poured some FF half & half around the base but it really wasn't necessary. It was really good!!!
    ENJOY!
  • So yummy!
    Just stumbled upon these - this is awesome, I would actually next time split the batter, put 1/2 each in a muffin cup inside a bowl and make myself some snack muffins :-) But with a little extra splenda and pumpkin pie spice on top, this was a nice change from scrambled eggs and "fake" french toast eggs.

Thanks for keeping SB interesting!
  • I've been making them with 1/4 cup Flax and soem butter flavored cooking spray
    I'll have to try the Yogurt!
    This morning I had savory with 2 tbsp of Parmesan soo good and keeps me full for hours
    Of course DH bought Jumbo Eggs so it was huge but still not bad calorie wise
  • I thought of this morning but couldn't remember the exact recipe so sort of muddled this together:

2 T ground flax seeds
    2 T cinnamon
    1 egg + 1 egg white
    1/4 C light ricotta cheese
    2 blue packets sweetner
    beat it all up and microwave for 2 minutes
    top with a little light butter

Wasn't too bad. Probably used up my ricotta serving for the day, so no after dinner ricotta dessert thingy for me.

Sarah in MD
  • Hey Guys I now make these 6 at a time!
    3/4 cup Flax
    3-4 eggs
    1 tbsp Baking Powder
    Fat of your choosing

I have a 6 "cup" silicone muffin tin
    Spray it with cooking spray and pop it in the micro for 3 minutes
    Flavor Variations
    Sweet
    Cinamon nutmeg and Ginger & 3 Pkts Splenda Butter Cookign spray Sprayed into batter With 1 T of SF Strawberry Jam in each
    Savory (veggie)
    Sautee Frozen Spinach and Onion together with the seasoning of your choice add seasoning to muffin along with 1 T of PArm cheese
    Savory Meat
    (I'm not sure how Ph 1 friendly this is you could use whatever meat you'd like)
    1 T dried Minced Onion 1 T Parmesan 5 Turkey Breakfast Links (would be Killer with Morningstar Sausage patties) Steak seasoning to taste

I'm ahving the meat variation this week and it reminds me of Stuffing!!
    Each serving has 2 tbsp flax and 1/2 ish egg
    So the baseline is 90-100 calories and 6 grams of protein
  • I made the original recipe but instead of making muffins, I microwaved them in a bowl (actually a french onion type) put some apple butter and almond milk on it and it was delicious and so filling.
    take care
    Sophie
  • Wow! I just tried the basic recipe, dropped the flax to 2 TBS, and added 1 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder. I need to play with the sugar substitute amount a bit, but I felt like I was eating chocolate cake!
  • Hi, I cooked these like pancakes & they r really good & quick to make. Had SF syrup....yummm
  • This is awesome!!! I've tried it once with the original recipe and it was so bready-delightful I was giddy all evening. Tonight I tried it with the cocoa powder and I threw in some raspberries! Delicious though texturally it came out a little funky.
  • Are these OK for P1?
    Just started P1 and these sound delicious. Are they OK for Phase!? I'm still getting used to the food lists.
  • Yes, but limit it to one muffin a day, as I understand this is the maximum amount of flaxseed meal you can have per day on phase 1.
  • I wonder how these would taste I replaced the yogurt with peanut butter....

I wonder if put small spoonfuls of this on parchment paper if it would come out like peanut butter cookies....

I'm going to try it and tell you all how it goes.
  • I just made a savory version with some grated parm and basil to go with bean soup. These always seem to work
  • Mmm sounds yummy. I made the peanut butter cookies, they were ok but I think more peanut butter would have made them much better. I really like the cookie method better than the muffin method. It made about 9, 2 inch cookies. I think tomorrow I might try chocolate peanut butter cookies. I would really like to find a way to cut the bitterness of the flax though.
  • I wonder if you could throw in some almond meal for more "flour" texture???