Have You Ever Been ....

• ... on a missions trip?

I'm pretty pumped. We leave on the 12th!
  • Susan, I have never been on one, but many of my friends have. I'm sure you are excited! Where will you be going?
  • Mexico. It's an orphanage and school.

We've thought about it for years but didn't really know how to start. Some friends of ours were invited last year and they invited us this year. I guess it's who ya know! But personally, I think, it's HIS timing.
  • I agree with you about the timing. God bless you!
  • I have been on a missions trip. We went to Uraguay where we worked at a bible school mainly building a girls dorm and a library. I varnished 40 chairs and installed windows in the library. It was great. I found out that missionaries are real people. They did everything to make us feel welcome and were so appreciative of our efforts.
  • I never have but my daughter and son in law have and my children's Godfather has many times....all to Mexico.

Please be careful Susan. My prayers are with you as you do our Lord's work.
  • I have not been on an international one. My wife spent a significant amount of time with orphans in Mexico. She loved it and I was jealous that I didn't get to go. It sounded like a wonderful experience as I am sure yours will be.
  • Quote: I found out that missionaries are real people.

I had a hard time learning this lesson about many things Christian related. Yup, missionaries can be almost anybody. They don't glow in the dark or anything wierd. They're local fella's, computer programmers, farmers, students, teachers, factory workers, home moms ...

Thanks for the good will and prayers folks. I'll take lots of pictures.
  • SusanB, wishing you a wonderful trip. I will give you the advice our pastor gave us,"Stay Flexible!".
  • Susan, I hope you have a great time! I was able to spend a weekend at a children's home in Mexico as one of my first international experiences, and it was great. I went on to actually live in Asia for 4 years, and I know God used a lot of these experiences to prepare me for that.

Right now I'm taking a class called Perspectives. It's an intense class that looks at God's heart for the entire world, and has really been a great way to dig into the Bible and what it says about how He is for everyone. It's made me want to go to lots of other places and see what He's doing there.

Let us know how it goes!
  • It was amazing. I don't know how to begin talking about it. I've been on the computer for a couple of hours now trying to talk to my daughter, trying to thank my team members ... It was just so mindblowing.

These kids should be depressed, bitter, screwed up ... but they are so joyous. It was awesome.
  • Sounds wonderful!