Sweet Potatoes

• I purchased some peeled and cubed sweet potatoes from Trader Joe's and microwaved them in the bag per the package directions. When done I mixed them with a half tablespoon of TJ's pumpkin butter. This was excellent! I have not been a big fan of sweet potatoes but these were so good I am now interested in other ideas for how to cook them, whether it's microwave, roasting...whatever. Anyone have some tried and true ideas to share?

Thanks in advance!
  • I love them so many ways but here are 2 of my favs!

Peel them and slice them like french fries. Roast them with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and roast until crispy.

I love plain sweet potatoes roasted in their skin and when their done add I can't believe its not butter spray and a packet of splenda on top. So yummy!!
  • Yay for Pumpkin Butter
    Big fan of sweet potatoes here. AND a big fan of Trader Jo's Pumpkin Butter.

But, I've never had the two together; will have to try that. Thanks for the tip.
  • When I make sweet potato fries, I don't peel em! In addition to oil and salt, I add some sweet paprika, cumin, garlic powder... maybe a few other things... they are delicious!!
  • Thanks for the ideas! I have a feeling I'm going to be eating quite a few sweet potatoes in the coming weeks, LOL. They are good and don't seem to cause cravings, which is nice.

Blue eyes, I like sweet things and found that a little bit of pumpkin butter with the sweet potatoes was wonderful. It's pretty good with butternut squash too, but a friend of mine thought that was too sweet.
  • Quote: When I make sweet potato fries, I don't peel em! In addition to oil and salt, I add some sweet paprika, cumin, garlic powder... maybe a few other things... they are delicious!!
    This is *exactly* what I do. Skins and all!
  • Wow, I'll have to start leaving the skins on. I don't know why I have been peeling them, I always leave the skins on my regular russets!!
  • I add some canola oil, a bit of brown sugar, ancho chili powder, and season salt. They come out sweet, spicy, salty - it's a divine combination.
  • Like others upthread, I scrub them, slice them, stick the slices in the oven (but no spices and no oil for me) until they're done. Serve with a sprinkling of salt.
  • I peel and cube them and toss them in a bag with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, grated orange peel, squirt of orange juice, cinnamon, ginger, cumin and thyme. ( I grow nutmeg thyme in the summer - it works great in this recipe) Put them on a cookie sheet and roast in a 425 degree oven until done - about 25 minutes, depending how big the pieces are. Take a spatula and turn them over halfway through. Sweet potatoes come out all nice and caramelized and brown. Sometimes I make this with other vegetables mixed in, like parsnips, carrot or pearl onoins.

I like Wolf Goddesses ancho chili powder idea. The sweet spicy combination sounds great. I think I'll add that next time!
  • I love sweet potatoes and am a fervent skin-on person! lol

Hey, are sweet potatoes nutritionally better than the general white varieties?
  • Sweet potato and black bean burritos - the best
  • Quote: I love sweet potatoes and am a fervent skin-on person! lol

Hey, are sweet potatoes nutritionally better than the general white varieties?
    Sweet potatoes are generally better, but potatoes (without the crap we put on them or cook them in) are pretty healthy as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
  • Thanks Maria. Yeah, I know about the cross-breeding with moths and Roundup-ready taters from Montsanto. Ick! The book, All Over Creation by Ruth Ozeki is FAB in re: to this issue. I think I will be switching to sweets (in moderation).