THAI CHICKPEA STEW (ph 1)

• Cross-post for more exposure. This is not my recipe ~ copied from a favorite message board. I have been making this for years. It's wonderful and freezes beautifully. It is nice with a squeeze of lime on top of each serving (or mix in some zest). Don't forget the fresh basil!

THAI CHICKPEA STEW

Now, to me this is not a heavy stew, it's more like a soupy entree. It's definitely something you'd serve in a bowl with a spoon, but it's not heavy-thick. It is a crockpot special, YAY, but the chickpeas don't get mushy.

GREAT with brown Jasmine rice (Phase 2) and cucumber spinach salad.

2 tsp canola oil
    1 1/2 c chopped vidalia onion (1 cup regular)
    2 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
    2 19 ounce cans (note the odd size - Progresso) chickpeas, rinsed and drained ( when I cannot find the 19 oz cans I just use 3 standard cans)
    2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, UNdrained
    1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
    1 Tbs good curry powder, or to taste (I use regular but you can use HOT curry)
    2 Tbs minced *pickled* jalapeno pepper, or to taste (I've successfully used canned green chilies or fresh jalapenos)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c chopped fresh basil (or cilantro, if you'd rather)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in basil or cilantro and serve over rice. Serves six to eight.
  • Sound like it's worth trying.
  • Thanks for this. I'm not too crazy about most slow cooker recipes that I've run across. (Seems like every other one requires you to dump in a can of Campbell's cream-of-something soup.) I am going to try this.