Depression and Anxiety?

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Lori Bell-
    yes. I have found that the anxiety makes me lose weight. I go through spells of it, and before I became a professional dieter, it would seem those were the ONLY times I could lose weight. Like I needed to be in a state of major anxiety in order to lose weight. But it also felt like crap, nausea, dizziness, scatter brain. My eyes would like leak practically, I couldn't control the tears.
  • one more thought. anyone here have problems with ADD/ ADHD? I've been reading a lot about it lately and apparently it works differently in women. I spoke with a therapist who said lots of research has been done with omega 3 oils, and apparently it makes a large difference in focus and concentration. But I just thought that maybe since ADD so often goes hand in hand with depression and anxiety, and also those of us on diets also cut out a lot of fatty things, that there might also be a connection there. Just a thought.
  • Humm, that is something to ponder. I did take some Omega 3's yesterday (I'm not real diligent at taking them or any suppliment) then a long walk, because the anxiety was SOOOO bad. I truly felt like I was going to explode. I was at wits end. Anyway, by the end of my 40 minute walk I felt great and the anxiety was GONE. Didn't come back for the rest of the day.

SO what was it that helped?
    a. My "spurt" of anxiety was just naturally over (for now)
    b. The exercise
    c. The glorious sunshine
    d. The omega 3 fatty acid supplement
    e. all of the above
    f. b.c & d.

I'm getting ready to go do all of the above again because I feel it starting in again this morning. None of the above will hurt, all is good for me anyway, and whatever works!

My doctor told me there was NO cure for anxiety, and that I would have to live with it for the rest of my life, but I just can't except that...yet.
  • isn't it crazy when Drs say things like that?! infuriating. How bout some coping mechanisms poindexter? If I tell you it sucks, guess what, it sucks.
  • Oh, Gosh, I have suffered from really bad anxiety since puberty, and due to high stress life situations...it has gotten a LOT worse since december. I have never been medicated, but I'm considering it.
  • Can I jump in here. This is actually my first post in this section of the board. I have finally come to terms that Yes I am depressed, and Yes I do have anxiety problems. I've been on depression meds for just over a year. They help out immensely. But then the wave of depression and anxiety come rushing in at odd times. I am the type to walk away and forget about it... hoping the problem will fix itself. I know it won't but by my leaving it behind makes me think it'll get better or I can fix it at a later time.
    The thing with me is I take on way to much responsibility. Anyone else feel this way?
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread... I, I just need to get my depression and anxiety under control and could use a few people to talk to. That understand where I am coming from... so if you'd please take me in, I'd love it. I'll even help you all out. I am a great listener.
  • Hi everybody,

This is my first time on this thread, or really on here period, and I am relieved to know this thread is here. Reading all your replies in support of one another gives me comfort. I am a full-time student, mom and homemaker, on top of being a disabled veteran who suffers from PTSD, Anxiety and Depression to say the least. It is a frightful road to take alone. Though it seems more rampant in females then males, I have noticed. Don't we suffer enough?!? lol I have been reading this book called "Feeling Good' and as cheesy as it may sound, it has actually been helping and one of the steps in there in recognizing your stressors and how to control your fears, and where they are based from. Most of all how to banish them! For instance, typically, whenever I am sick, I usually go to the worst case scenario, OMG I have cancer or something. Not the case, the more you think about it, the faster your body starts reacting towards your implied thought or stigma, thus feeding you more negativity to bog you down with. Lori has got my remedy down pat...I clean house...and though she may live in Nebraska as well, I think that makes two houses! ;p

I really hope that one day the anxiety will just banish itself and I am putting every foot forward towards making that happen. Dieting has actually been helping, plus the exercise. I hope this helps, as well as with your support! Thanks for providing me an outlet and knowing that I am not the only one out there makes me already feel a million times better about doing what i have got to do to be around for my family!
  • Welcome to the newbies...and of course everyone is welcome to post here. I didn't start the thread, but I'm hogging it because I hate this anxiety and will do anything to rid my life of it. Yea, and another fellow Cornhusker (with a clean house!!!).

PearFreak, (I love pears too!). How do you walk away from the dep/anx? Doesn't it follow you? I wish I could just turn away and forget it, but it just follows me like a dark shadow. TELL ME YOUR SECRET!!!

Mary, Thank you for serving our country, and paying a dear price for our freedom. You made a huge sacrifice, I pray that you will recover from your PTSD.

Mescelestus, meds can possibly help, make an appointment with your Dr. and discuss your options. I have to wonder if maybe your anxiety is worse now because of your geographic location and the fact it's been a long winter. I really think there is something to Seasonal affects. Living in a northern, colder climate could be the reason your having a more difficult time right now.
  • Quote: one more thought. anyone here have problems with ADD/ ADHD?
    Oh yeah...this is very common in my family, I for one did not know I had ADHD until I was 39 ... imagine living all those years beating myself up. When I followed a very low carb, higher in protein diet (Atkins to be exact) I felt soooooooooo much better, physically, mentally, etc., my blood work was perfect. The problem was following it (being a carb addict), I had such a hard time... but come to think of it, I have a hard time with most "diets."

• Quote: PearFreak, (I love pears too!). How do you walk away from the dep/anx? Doesn't it follow you? I wish I could just turn away and forget it, but it just follows me like a dark shadow. TELL ME YOUR SECRET!!!
    Lori Bell... I simply just walk away from it all... leave it behind me, of course it still consumes my mind... thus not allowing me to sleep well and so the rock rolls. But once composed and in abetter state of mind I deal with the problem (anxiety)

Like today I had a sudden urge of anxiety come over me while at the bank. The teller was taking too long (for my liking) and I felt flush, shaky and totally out of it. Finally she was done, I left and once outside took a huge gulp of fresh air. Ahhhhhhh. Later my dh called and I told him about the incident. Then again I felt it all lift off my shoulders. It wasn't like I was doing anything to cause it, it just came on... but telling dh about it felt so, much better. He is an incredible listener and very patient with me. Man, I lucked out in the dh dept.

So with my rambling, my point is... if I can't deal with it now and then... I'll walk away, gain my composure and face it when I am ready. Lately though I've been talking to the dh and he helps me calm down and regain the composure much faster then if I did it alone. So yes, talking to someone helps me out immensely. Does that explain things better?
  • Quote: Oh yeah...this is very common in my family, I for one did not know I had ADHD until I was 39 ... imagine living all those years beating myself up. When I followed a very low carb, higher in protein diet (Atkins to be exact) I felt soooooooooo much better, physically, mentally, etc., my blood work was perfect. The problem was following it (being a carb addict), I had such a hard time... but come to think of it, I have a hard time with most "diets."

Leenie. Do you know if it's all carbs that affect you or maybe just the gluten, (from wheat) that might be the cuprate. My son has high functioning autism, and he has been pretty much gluten free for the last 10 years as recommended by his Doctor who specializes in autism spectrum disorders (ASD) as well as ADD/ADHD. Since going gluten free it has helped with his brain fog and overall well being like you would not believe. It also has kept him slim and trim, even though he eats a large variety of other carby foods like potatoes, corn, fruit and rice. He was overweight before he went gluten free.

Some people, think that wheat gluten is the cause of the autism/adhd epidemic....(well heck, some people also think it's the cause of the obesity epidemic as well.) I don't know what to think, I guess I'm on the fence on if it's a "cause". I do know that when he eats gluten he's a TOTAL mess for a day or so, and craves more and more of it very badly.
  • Quote: Lori Bell... I simply just walk away from it all... leave it behind me, of course it still consumes my mind... thus not allowing me to sleep well and so the rock rolls. But once composed and in abetter state of mind I deal with the problem (anxiety)...
    That's great you have such a good support system. I understand what you are saying...Thanks for explaining.
  • Never thought about it Lori, but thats certainly something to think about. I've never tried a gluten free diet. Hmmmm.
  • I've often wondered if part of feeling so much better on a low carb diet was because of wheat gluten. I ate some bread a few weeks back, because I was desperate for something, and I broke out in a rash all over my shins. Very common with wheat allergies I believe?
  • Hello,
    It was my goal to come to this forum today. I wanted to read about anxiety and how others deal with it. Depression alone is not new to me.

For the last month or two I am a raging bi*ch, so highly irritable and battling those depressed feelings. And for the last few days I have a hammering in my chest that does not go away. I took one of DH's xanax (tiny dose) and it tempered the hammering just a bit. (my first experience with his xanax is when I found out my son would be spending the summer with a boy who had molested him-- heart hammering like crazy, me freaking out... dh said- here, take half of this. same, thing it tempered the heart hammering a bit, and I was able to come up with a very workable plan for my boy)

I can get an Rx for my own anti-anxiety meds but I'd prefer to try other techniques. My house is an absolute cluttered messy anxiety producing space right now. It seems that I need to address that first. I think that will help tremendously// I hope. I have thank you notes from two birthday parties to send out-- one from 11/08, the other from 1/09. I have some goals related to my career that I keep thinking about but not acting on. That is taking so much brain space as well.

Since wed, food is out of control and exercise has stopped.

so, thank you everyone for participating in this thread. You have given me (pun intended) food for thought.