#209 Bale of Turtles Doing Fine in 2009!

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
    Judy
    Itryharder
    (for Lin and Lauren)
  • Hi Turtles,
    We had gotten long, so I started a new thread. However, you might want to catch up with Lauren's aim for April. I admire you Lauren for setting your goalfor April and in doing what you need to do daily to reach that goal. So often I would set an admirable long term goal and as the date approached I'd have to scurry or reset the date. Hmmmm. Not a turtle thing to do. So for 2009 I want to think like the turtle to get good accomplishments in the weight department!

Lauren, so sorry about the bathroom fiasco. Good luck finding nice fixtures for the bath this weekend and for keeping your food plan strong while dealing with strife. I admire the sticking to it even when (especially when) things around you aren't that easy!

Princess and Bandit and Ariana, I hope you're all doing well. Chime in when you can. I'm sending : and and that we all have a great 2009. Good luck to us all.
    Judy
  • Morning all and happy Sunday to everyone. Sounds like everyone is thinking of ways to make 2009 a good year. Best wishes to us all in that department!

Not much is new here, I am officially unemployed now but looking daily, there is just not much going on right now. Something will come along though, I have faith.

I am back on track with eating and have been walking. DS got me a treadmill for Christmas, he had a friend that was selling hers and he asked me if I minded a second hand gift, I said heck no I don't mind a second hand gift! It is in pretty good shape and I have been on it most everyday trying to get my body built back up again, it sure does not take long to loose muscle tone, etc.

I had rejoined WW but will be cancelling that membership this coming week and joining TOPS instead, there is one that is not too far away on Thursday evenings and will be workable now that I am not employed.

Judy: I sure hope that you are feeling better! How were your holidays?

Lauren: So sorry to hear about the whole bathroom thing! It is one of my biggest fears! Our house is old and the plumbing outdated... we only have one bathroom and it is soooooo outdated. I fear that one day it will just give out on us with a broken pipe, etc. We were hoping to update it this year but that is not an option now... Best wishes in your remodel...

Bandit: How are you doing? So I am going to be trying TOPS to help me stay on track so I am excited about that. Something new is always helpful in motivating us I think.

Ariana: How are you doing? Busy I'll bet with the new year and all. Hope all is well!

Have a happy day all!
    Princess
  • Hi, turtles.

Princess, I hope something comes through for you soon. I know it's tough. I had a stretch of unemployment a few years ago, and what did I do? I ATE! A lot! Not a very productive response. But work finally did come through, and I know you'll find something too. I hope it's even better than what you had.

Judy, I hear you about setting long-term goals and not meeting them. I've been very reluctant to set long-term goals as a result. I'm not really sure why this time is different. I think maybe I just set the goals after I saw I was on line to meet them; I began to believe that I would truly achieve them. Getting into the 180s for 2009 was one, and I'm still pinching myself! I also think this approach to dieting -- the home delivery plan -- has made a huge difference for me and made it much easier to remain consistent.

Have a great day, everyone -- I'm off for my walk!
  • Hi Turtles,
    Princess, you have such a lovely family. What a great idea for your son to get you a treadmill for Christmas. Having one in the house is a boon because if it's too hot, cold, rainy, or snowy outside you've still got a way to get some good walking in. I've got a tiny TV and DVD player set up in the room I use and it's a huge help. As a matter of fact, I just watched The Mummy again in three parts and enjoyed it tremendously. Now that I'm over my virus troubles, I'll be back on my I'll start at 30 minutes and increase that as I'm able to do so. So to your ds on such a great Good luck with TOPS. Bandit has done great with the change up and has really been an inspiration. You're back on track and you'll see a : soon.

Like Lauren, I'm sure there is a good job out there for you and it will be even better! You interview well and you know what you're doing. You're a perfect candidate and something will work out soon. :

Lauren, wow, thanks for the insight. I know the food delivery system is a huge help to you and I am so glad that's you're working it so well! Weigh to go! I have wanted to be in onederland for so long and I have allowed so many things to get in my way. Last year it was my dd's wedding. Now isn't that silly? A whole year where I continued at WW's and only gained weight? Well, I feel different this year. Also--my WW leader is e-mailing us tidbits to keep us motivated. It's a huge help. She also has mentioned that she sees a difference in determination in me and that is also extra help.
    I'm doing great. I'm also allowing myself to be a little hungry--not starving, but short of full--and that seems to be helping. I kept off the virus weight and have actually lost another pound. This is definitely the day to get on the to insure that loss! I've got menus planned for the week and shopping is about to be done. Yay. Plan and prepare--famous words that make a winning outcome.

Bandit, how were your holidays?
    Ariana, did you get home for the holidays? How's work?

Talk to you all soon. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's WI.
    Judy
    234.6/215/214 puts me at 20# down.
  • Judy, you do sound motivated! I think it's great that you can see what derailed you last year. Knowledge is power.

You know, I think allowing ourselves to get a little hungry is a much bigger thing than I originally believed. I used to think it was terrible to ever allow yourself to get hungry. I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion, but I don't agree with it anymore. I find, in fact, that on the days and especially evenings I get hungry but don't eat outside my plan, I lose best. It's almost like my body is saying -- "Hey! I'm losing weight here! Danger, danger! Go eat something!"

Sometimes I think it makes sense to ignore what my body is saying after all. I'm getting plenty of nutrients and calories, and I'm losing at a slow and healthy rate, so if I stick with my plan, I know I don't really need the extra food my body is trying to tell me I should eat.

Planning to take another walk today. Sunshine outside, a lovely winter day. Have a marvelous day, Turtles!
  • Hi guys.........I was a turtle back in 2007 and would like to come back.........I havent done much in the weight loss dept since then, just some ups and downs.........but I am so committed now, but I do need all the kick butt support i can get.....I have set an 8 week challenge of 20lbs, then it would be to take off the other 4 and be in onederland by my birthday on march 16th......Mare
  • Happy New Year everyone & a big welcome to Mare!

Well, ladies it was a wonderful holiday with lots of eating, treats and lack of exercise, but now a new year & time to get back to reality.

My fridge is stocked with fresh fruit & veggies & my cookbooks back out in sight. Back to Tops tomorrow & have to face the scale (we have been off for 2 weeks) & am hoping for not too much damage there.

Princess - I am sure you will enjoy Tops. It was a turn around point for me after doing WW for so long.

Hope everyone is motivated and back in control.

My goals are: lose another 20# by May 1st
    Join swimming centre with the indoor track for walking
    & go 3 times/week
    Get enough sleep
    Organize more of my basement

Here's to us all having a great 2009!
  • Hi Turtles,
    Hi and to Mare. Once you've posted here you're always a member! You've got great goals and we're just the gals to watch and cheer you on to making them.

Bandit, You sound ready and rearing to go in 2009. I love your goal of 20# by the spring. TOPS really has been a turnaround for you. Weigh to go! I hope your WI is :

I'm doing fine. MY dd and dear grandson popped in yesterday and we had breakfast out. That was fine, but I was worried that she'd want something fattening delivered for dinner. I kinda ignored the clues she was sending and went ahead and made a veggie chili that was okay. It helped keep me on track, even when my dgrandson wanted to make brownies. (Hey, the box mix called for 3/4cup of oil! That's outrageous!~I substituted applesauce that I had instead and my dh thought they tasted fine). In any case, I'm proud of myself for making good decisions. Tomorrow is my WI and I want it to be a good one!

I'm sending : to all of us. I realize how making a good start at the very beginning of the new year is a motivator.
    Judy
    234.6/215/214/ that'll be 20#down from my joining weight.
  • Hi ladies - just noticed that WW has a new plan. What do you think?
  • Welcome back, Mare!

Bandit, your goal seems very do-able. I'll make a similar one: To get into the 160s some time in May. Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw those numbers!

Judy, I am SO proud of you, making that chili!!! And the lowfat brownies! You found a great way to socialize with family and have a great time while staying with your plan. And you helped your family be a little healthier, too. That is just terrific!!!

I walked again yesterday, and it felt great in spite of the biting cold. Music helps, too; I listened to my iPod. The sidewalks were clear, so walking wasn't a problem. It's snowing now, but it's not supposed to accumulate too much.

I much prefer walking outdoors, as opposed to in a mall or something. I know it isn't always practical, but it really lifts my spirits in a way that indoor exercise doesn't.

Here's hoping my giant cooler of food actually arrives tomorrow when it's supposed to; the last two weeks it has come days late. I'm hoping that's just a holiday glitch.

Have a lovely day, turtles!
  • Thanks for the nice welcome back!!!

Bandit......I think I am going to jumo on your goals bandwagon.......I will list them at the end........how is tops, I had kind of thought of trying it out.....I just reread your second post and was wondering about the new WW plan myself....was thinking of heading into a meeting just to listen........

Judy....doesn't it make you feel good when you are strong and make and keep good choices?? I always make brownies for every function that I have to bring something, I always made the best brownies.....friends raved about them.....then I switched to applesauce instead of oil.......and my friends still love them and still devour the pan..........goes to show we ALL can eat healthier choices without always have to sacrifice........

Lauren......I also like walking for exercise and usually outside is my preference as well.........just not when its bitter cold or all ice like it is today......what food delivery program are you using.......hubby was talking about nutrisystem, I was thinking it is way expensive.........do you have to buy other foods to supplement what they deliver??

Okay here are my bandit like goals:

lose 25lbs by Easter (I just realized I set myself up to fail....i had set the 25lb loss for my birthday in march)
    join the YMCA by next fall (so I have a place to exercise next winter)
    get enough sleep (which I rarely do)
    organize my garage (hubby would be so happy!!!)

Going off to ride my bike.........ttyl.......hugs
  • Hi Turtles,
    Get out the brass band. I did it! I lost 1.6# which puts me officially 20# down on the WW scale. : and At this point each ounce I lose will put me in virgin fat territory since rejoining in 2006. I really am pleased. Since I already had a star on my bookmark for 20# down, I asked my leader for a bravo sticker to commemorate my accomplishment. I have to tell you that I really don't brag, but this is a biggie for me because it shows me that I can continue to lose weight.

I know a little about the new WW program. They have dropped Core and Flex and call the new program Momentum. It uses portion control and points, but it encourages you to eat the "filling" foods==which of course are the Core foods. The booklet features a green diamond next to the filling foods and you are to attempt to eat more of these foods in an effort to stay satisfied and comfortable. They even point out that two pieces of white toast (without butter or jam) are four points, but a breakfast of eggwhite omelet with veggies, on a piece of 1point bread, and a cup of strawberries is also four points. In other words, watch what you're eating--there are healthier values to your points. Since this is very close to what I was doing, I don't expect to see a big change, but it makes a lot of sense to really plan and prepare foods, include soup to expand a meal and get as many salads and veggies into plans to feel full.

Okay, you're all doing great with your resolutions, so here are mine:
    1. 16#down by May1 (That puts me in onederland)
    2. 3x week or more
    3. attend an entertaining event 1/month
    4. get together with friends 1/month
    5. make an acquaintance a friend!

You guys all sound like you're doing great. Also, Turtles, try and keep in mind if you're not doing great, chime in! It's then that we need to post the most to stop the gain and get back on track. We've got loads of support ready and waiting!!! :

Judy
    234.6/214/211 (that's my 10% difference)
  • HOORAY, JUDY!!!!!!!! Virgin fat territory!!!!! That is just WONDERFUL!! :cheer 2:
    I'm so happy on your behalf! I love your goals, too. Those last 3 goals are interesting and fun. I think I may add a couple of those to my list as well.

And I agree with you about hoping people will post even when they're not doing so well. As you know, that's a problem of mine; I tend to "disappear" when I'm not happy about how I'm doing. I've come to realize how unhelpful that is to me, and I really admire people -- like you! -- who continue to come here and post, no matter what. That's one of my goals, too!

Mare, I'm doing a plan called Pure Foods Fresh Start. It's even more expensive than Nutrisystem, unfortunately, but it's real food instead of freeze-dried, which was important to me. It's all fresh, very few preservatives, not frozen. It tastes much better than the usual frozen dinners you get at the store, and it's very balanced. No artificial anything, either. I find it especially helpful because the menus are based on the glycemic food index, so blood sugar levels remain stable. It's a financial stretch for us, but since we no longer eat out, it actually pretty much balances out. I like the enforced portion control, which is my toughest challenge. Oh, to answer your question, it's all-inclusive in that you don't need to buy anything else. (They even send you fresh fruit and salad.) But I do supplement it every day with an extra piece of fruit and a yogurt. Sometimes I add extra salad, too. But you don't need to. Hope that helps.

Have a lovely day, turtles. And Judy, congratulations again!!!
  • Judy great job getting with the loss!!!! I can't wait to join you in that virgin fat territory..........Its always so hard to catch the original zeal.....we can do it!!!!

Lauren thanks for the info on the pure foods fresh start plan.........my fear is that hubby will buy something like that and then eat all the other stuff we have too.......then he got no benefit from the "diet food".......he is notorious for that.....when he tells me he is ready, really ready then we may do that.........

Talk to you later girls..........the roads are bad and we don't even have a delay so I have to get an early start...........cya