Trimming thick cat claws

• One of my cats has always had really hard thick claws. Now that he's getting older (he's 13) they are getting seriously thick, to the point that I can't trim them anymore with my regular claw trimmers. I normally use the ones shaped like scissors with a hole in the cutting edge.

Can anyone recommend a different type or style that's better suited to the thick claws? What about using ones designed for dogs?

On a related note - he has polydactyl toe deformities that make one claw on each front foot grow into the pad almost as soon as it emerges. In the last six months, it has cut into his pad four times (I check it daily, but it grows in so easily). I have resisted getting these two claws removed, because I am firmly in the anti-declaw camp, but now with the thickening of his claws, and the frequency of the injuries to the pad, I am wondering if I should reconsider. Can anyone recomend anything else I could try first? BTW - this cat is diabetic and has some neuropathy - he does not seem to feel the injury to his pad.

BP
  • That pedi paws thing works really well for my pets claws....my great dane has really thick nails and when I used the dog nail clipper they'd split all the way up (ouch for my baby and lots of blood!). My dad got it for me at Christmas
  • Oh - that looks really neat! A grinder would be perfect for thinning them down as well as keeping them trimmed. His claws definitely splinter a lot, especially in the winter. That would probably also be good for his two problem claws that keep cutting him. He's not really afraid of electrical appliance noise either.

BP
  • well,. i got my dog pedipaws and it took a bit to get used to it, just the vibraty feeling in her nails and not knowing what was going on I suppose, but it's certainly easy to use and you don't have to be afraid of splitting the nail and hurting the animal with it, as it's just a rotating emery board.

I have never had good luck with any other kind, I used to have rabbits and cutting their claws was a pain for everyone involved too, I don't trust those clippers they have in the grocery store anymore.