How many miles before replacing sneakers?

• I've been told every 3-6months and every 500 miles.

How often do you replace your running/walking shoes?
  • ABout once a year. But I don't do anything outside ever. All my work is at the gym and I rarely run. Although that's changing this year with my 5k prep - so I might wind up buying new shoes more often.

• Hi Kitty! I shoot for every 300-500 miles, depending on wear (and budget!). You're running enough I would look at mileage rather than months. I bet you'll go through at least 3 pairs a year.
  • Quote: Hi Kitty! I shoot for every 300-500 miles, depending on wear (and budget!). You're running enough I would look at mileage rather than months. I bet you'll go through at least 3 pairs a year.
    Hey back midwife!!!--->
    which leads me to the next question-- any ideas where I can get brooks running shoes at a discounted rate?? Most other shoes don't fit well and I paid $95 for these.
  • I like my Brooks too. They were the only ones narrow enough in the heel. And I'll have to be thinking about replacing them one of these months, although I think I have some time left in them. I don't run very many miles per week yet (~9).
  • I need to replace mine every 3 or 4 months, but I also run at least 15 miles a week so they tend to wear out a little quicker. Just got some new Brooks yesterday, highlight of my weekend.
  • Well, I think once you know the brand, model, and year that work for you you can buy online. I think it was Road Runner Sports that had a program where you buy so many pairs, you get one free.

My local running stores give me a 15% discount since DD is a high school runner here in town. If you don't have a teenage cross country runner in your house, I would highly advise you obtain one so you are also eligible for this discount. Worth every penny.

My friend runs with a group that is connected to a local shop and she gets discounts that way.

Shoes can be expensive. My current pair was $125 and does need to be replaced soon. But, I'll buy cheap toilet paper and store brand shampoo, but I will never skimp on running shoes. Injuries suck and take forever to go away, if they actually go away permanently. I am so passionate about investing in the right shoes.
  • I won't skimp on shies either. I go about 300 miles and then get another pair.
  • If you're doing anything more than 4 hours a week of 45 minute cardio sessions which involve walking, especially running and plyometrics (obviously elliptical and stat. bike not as much) - you should change them every six months.
  • Gosh, I've had my running shoes for two years! And I use them 6+ times a week, during the summer I wear them almost constantly.

I guess replacing them soon might be a good idea.
  • l
    Quote: Gosh, I've had my running shoes for two years! And I use them 6+ times a week, during the summer I wear them almost constantly.

I guess replacing them soon might be a good idea.
    oh, I hope we didn't just jinx you into an injury!!
  • I go about 400 miles in mine or a little sooner. I don't believe in skimping either, I think this is part of what contributed to my knee pain in the past. I make it a point to check the soles at twice a month. I'm a reebok gal, I just haven't had any problems since I switched from NIKE and my current pair is noticeably more breathable and the arch support is just great.
  • I go roughly 400 miles in mine, but that can vary depending on what kind of terrain I've been running on. I can usually feel it in my knees if I've gone too long without replacing them.

I get a discount at one local place through my job but sometimes they have better sales than I can get the discount for (the two can't be combined). I know being a member of certain running groups can also get you discounts at some stores. Otherwise I echo Midwife's advice of looking online if you know the brand, model and year.

Viatre - definitely check into getting some new shoes!