BIG snacks?

• mandalinn82 and BluetoBlue mentioned in another thread about BIG snacks. I love BIG foods, too. I'd much rather have 4 cups of lettuce than a cookie. But, I admit that I'm not very good at finding BIG snacks. I usually settle for little foods with the flavor I seem to be craving, so I could use some help in this area.

What are some of your favourite BIG snacks? Please share!
  • I'd say veggies and lower-calorie bean dip or hummus. I tend to stick with carrots (baby ones) as they are easy, however, they're a little high on the calories / ounce for veggies. Just make sure that you weigh and/or measure the dip first.
  • Popcorn! Airpopped popcorn is SO high volume for what you get.

Mix a small amount of something calorie dense (like nonfat greek yogurt....60 calories for 1/2 a cup, and tons of protein) with fruit. 1 cup cantaloupe + 1/2 cup greek yogurt is about 110 calories, and almost 2 cups of food.

I have salads for snack, sometimes. Couple cups of lettuce, sliced carrots, some cucumber, some bell pepper strips, and a laughing cow wedge. Use your favorite low-cal dressing and you've got 2-3 cups of food for around 100 calories.
  • Hot cereal! A nice big bowl is only 120 to 150 calories, depending on what kind you eat. I alternate between oat bran and a multi-grain hot cereal that is similar to oatmeal.

Wraps with lots of spinach or lettuce. I get an egg white salad from Trader Joe's and make wraps out of that with spinach and a low carb wrap. Another great filling is refried beans. Or use lean deli meats for the filling.

Egg-beater omelets with lots of veggies and a laughing cow cheese wedge. I also make omelets with refried beans and salsa.

Another of my favorite snacks is 1/4 cup FF cottage cheese, 1/2 cup FF plain Greek yogurt, sweetened with Splenda, cinnamon, and top it with 1 oz of berries. It's about 100 calories.

Or I make a "salad" with 1/4 cup chickpeas, 2 oz diced cucumber, 1.5 oz cherry tomatoes (or roasted red pepper if cherry tomatoes aren't available), 1/4 cup FF yogurt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. It's bigger than you'd expect and comes it at around 100 calories. It tastes like summer to me.
  • Cabbage soup! Not the diet, just the soup .
  • Big bowl of cut up raw veggies: radishes, celery, brocoli and pepper strips

Cut up apple sprinkled with cinnamon with a few blueberries
  • Honeycrisp apple and a Tbs. of almond or peanut butter.
  • 2 cups of fresh whole strawberries = 100 calories

low sodium homemade veggie soups