Too fat to run, huh?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm in the middle of the C25K program. Up to week 4 this week, which is 3 min jog, 1.5 walk, 5 jog, 2.5 walk and repeat.

I usually run early in the morning to beat the heat, but yesterday was my "recovery" day from night duty, so I slept until lunchtime and did my run at about 5pm, when it had cooled down a bit. Apparently Tuesday is Little Athletics day, so as they were using half of the track I modified a bit.

There were a group of early teens standing near the kids, stirring them up and having a bit of a go. Loud enough for the kids to hear, but quiet enough so their parents and coach couldn't. But I heard them, and glared as I ran past.

Then I heard "Jesus Christ! Check her out - she's way too fat to run!" I turned around and asked him to repeat what he'd said, so he did.

At which point the conversation went something like this:

Me: Fancy yourself as a bit of an expert on running, do you?

Kid (puffing chest up): Yep.

Me: Reckon you can run a mile?

Kid: Easy!

Me: Wanna race?

Kid (laughing): Sure!

Me: Ok then. A mile is four laps. And just to make it interesting, you can have a head start. Say, the length of the sprint track? (100m).

So he's off. And sprinting. And as he hits the end of the straight I can see him starting to falter.

I took off after him, but pacing myself at a nice easy jog. By the end of the 2nd lap I'd caught him. By the end of the 3rd lap I'd lapped him! I felt a bit sorry for him at this stage, as he looked like he was going to throw up. But to his credit he finished the whole 4 laps, even though I'd been sitting around drinking from my water bottle for an entire lap.

I patted him on the shoulder when he got back and said "maybe you should be joining those kids instead of teasing them!" The look on his face as I started jogging again was priceless.

Yes, I did more jogging than the program said. And yes, it nearly killed me! But I had to, to save face and to prove a point.

Too fat to run? Not this little black duck!
  • You go girl!
  • hahah thats awesome. waay to go!
  • HA! That was great!
  • Primm You Rock! You are my inspiration today. I just finished W3D3 this morning and I am feeling good! Keep up the good work.
  • Thank you for giving me a smile . And good for you that you stood up against that guy instead of looking away!
  • I love it !!! You showed them!!
    It was a double-victory -- taught the kids an important lesson AND spurred you on to accomplish more than you thought you could do! Nicely done!
  • Primm, that was AWESOME! You must know that that boy will never forget the life lesson he learned! He will most likely tell his own kids about it someday. Little black duck, nothing- little roadrunner sounds more like it! Beep Beep!
  • You Rock! That is the best story I've heard in a long time.
  • Congrats!!! I love when you can show a bratty teenager up, especially when he was teasing kids younger then him!
  • Oh my gosh, this MADE MY DAY!!!!!
  • way to go!! thats awesome!
  • That is awesome!
  • that is so awesome! i hope to do that one day!!!
  • Yea, Primm!