What WOE is everyone using?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm new to this forum and wanted to find a few new friends for support. What way of eating is everyone using? I'm 42 and have gained and lost the same 60 lbs for the last 10 years. I lose it than slowly re-gain it (gaining it back is a lot more fun than losing it) than lose again slooooooowly. I have in my life time tried/failed tried again every diet known to man. I own every diet book and I'm an RN so I know the "correct" way to lose but find it interesting that different diets work better for different people.
  • I'm not doing too well at the moment.

2 birthdays and an anniversary this weekend.

I usually do well when I count points or do the core program on Weight Watchers.
  • I have been on WW in the past and done well. I started Atkins two weeks ago to get me started and will probably transition over to WW again. I need something in the beginning to get me through my sugar addiction than I can make better choices.
  • I eat healthier versions of my favorite foods. I eat in moderation. I count calories. I never punish myself if I eat something "bad". I just continue the next day. I stay positive and I try and be satisfied if I only lose a pound a week. I think no matter how slow it may take, at least the scale's read lowering numbers, not higher!

I can't eat 6 small meals, though, and I don't like snacking. 3 normal size meals and a snack work fine for me.
  • wormwooddoll (what an interesting name),

That is a great outlook. We would all do better being good to ourselves and not negative. When I first start a diet I have to cut out certain foods i.e. sugar or I just cannot stay with it. I can slowly add sugar/flour back without too many problems and continue losing so I usually transition to WW.
  • Hi Darlene!
    I'm the opposite as WormwoodDoll; I'm a big snacker throughout the day like those mini-meals, but they are healthy snacks for the most part; fruits, yogurt, almonds, or granola. I find my lunches are tiny compared to last year as a result. Oh wait it's also because I'm in a different school...
    Haha. At my last school we had a cafeteria that served HUGE lunches for 4 bucks every day. So I wouldn't snack as much but I'd have a three-course lunch and then have a huge dinner as well.
    And here I wondered why I wasn't losing weight. Silly me.
    Well as it turns out - small snacks during the day works way better for me!
    Welcome and good luck Darlene! I hope you will find something that will be suitable!
    Tam
  • Tam,

just keep up the good work. small meals with snacks works for me and helps when I'm out and about I at least have my safe snacks with me.
  • Hi Darlene. Welcome!

I am doing Weight Watchers at home. It worked for me in the past when I lost 42 pounds, then I gained 50+ pounds when I stopped smoking a few years ago. I have been Weight Watching for 4 weeks now and lost 9 pounds. This seems to be what works for me. BTW, what method are you using? Good luck to you and hope to see you around.

Grasshopper
  • I count calories and try to eat as clean as possible.

By clean I mean I avoid processed and packaged foods, processed sugars, HFCS, preservative, colors, and chemicals.

I try to eat a lot of veggies and fruit, whole grains, and protein.

• Grasshopper,

I've been on Atkin's induction for two weeks but I'm going to transition over to WW. I like Atkin's because I lose my craving for sugar on it well but it is difficult to stay on for a long time. WW worked well for me a few years ago but my little town does not have too many meetings, do you like the on-line version?

Darlene
  • Photochick,

Looks like you're doing great with your plan. Do you have trouble staying within your calorie restriction?

Darlene
  • Honestly I don't. I eat about 1500 calories a day (+/- 100) and I'm doing fairly well. I actually posted about it the other day ... that my idea of portion sizes has changed a lot since I started eating this way and that big meals are no longer enjoyable for me. I really like the way I'm eating now. It's made a huge difference in my life.

• PhotoChick,

Do you eat out much? I have bought/read several magazines on eating clean and the idea truly appeals. I try to stay on the outside perimeter of the grocery store but I think they are on to me they moved the soda's to the outside wall last week.

Darlene
  • I don't eat out nearly as much as I used to. When I do, I try to stick to places like Sweet Tomatoes (a salad place) or Jason's Deli (I can get a sliced turkey on rye and a vegan french onion soup) or someplace that has a calorie count online so I can check things out before I go.

One thing is that I haven't had fast food in AGES. I used to eat at McDonalds and Sonic and Wendy's all the time. But it's been forever since I had a fast food burger.

OTOH, on my non-counting meals, I often eat a 5 Guys burger and fries. They're a big weakness for me!

• I've been on WW online. It works when I actually follow it :P I've been doing well since August 17 (for some reason I woke up totally sick of myself that day).

We recently moved and the only way I could stay on track with points is with WW meals or Lean Cuisine...they've been a lifesaver. But they can get expensive and yes, I know it's better to eat fresh, whole foods.

PhotoChick, do you have any tips for me? My biggest problem is, if I get too hungry, watch out, I could eat anything. That's when those frozen meals come in handy. I tell myself I can eat anything AFTER I eat my meal. Of course when I'm done with it, blood sugar is restored and I'm not so crazy anymore

I'm afraid that if I just have raw chickens in my fridge they'll take too long to cook and my willpower will be shot.