Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Default protien shakes..

Just wondering how you all make your shakes?
Do you add ice, ect. Before WLS my DH made them with ice, milk, peanut butter and powder- but now ofcourse no milk for a few more days and no peanut butter at all. The ones we have made today are very watery and yucky.
I figured that it would be that way (only powder and water until sunday or monday-then he can put in skim milk)for now-just thought i would ask what you all did-maybe someone has a suggestion for him-so he can get through the next day or two.Otherwise he will just suck it up and drink what he has since the protien is so important-wheather it taste good or not
TIA
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

There are many recipes to "spice" up an ordinary protein shake. You can look online for flavored sample packs of Nector (good stuff) and others that provide you with more of a variety. There is a great chicken soup protein shake by Unjury that is very good.

You can add things like SF syrups that go in coffees... sf vanilla and carmel are my favorite.

When he's able... try making "egg nog" with vanilla shake, egg subtitute, pumpkin pie spice and splenda in the blender with a few ice cubes or over ice after blending.

pina colata with coconut, pineapple, banana syrup, vanilla shake and splenda.

Mocha with decafinated instant coffee (make sure it's not over 130 degrees though, curdles the protein), chocolate shake and splenda.

"Never settle for ordinary anything!" I like to say! Keep up the good work and the Great questions!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-10-2008 at 10:15 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I just came across this and will be making this tomorrow. Protein drinks are unlimited because what ever in on his list can be put in a protein drink. My favorite was ice, chocolate mattrix protein powder, sf nesquik and it tasted just like a frosty. I still do this one and my GKs like it also.

Pumpkin Nog
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 pkg sugar free instant vanilla pudding
2 cups skimmed milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1 pinch ground nutmeg
A scoop of vanilla protein powder

In a blender or food processor, blend the pumpkin, sf pudding, milk,
cinnamon, nutmeg, mace and protein in batches.
Pour into individual cups. Top with lite cool whip and a sprinkle of
nutmeg.

I'm seriously thinking of blending a little ice with it. The recipe originally called for softened ice cream, but.....and the lite ice cream has the devil alcohol sugars in them. I make protein ice cream all the time with sf instant puddings and fat free 1/2 and 1/2. But that is another story.

Good Luck!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

jamers - for right this second, tell your husband to SUCK IT UP!!! yes - there are ways to make these things taste better, but for right now, if you make that wonderful-sounding pumpkin concoction that NAN posted, hubby will be SICK from the carbs - DON'T RUSH THE PROCESS.

now, having said that, i always poured mine - and still do - over ice. putting the whole thing in the blender with ice to make a thick shake sort of thing made me VERY ILL.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote