I'm new and feeling blue...

• I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to join. I'm a 29 yr old mother of 3. I lost a lot of weight after the last baby, I got down to 137.8. Now I'm at 150. I'm not happy. I know why, the every once in awhile binge and out to eat has finally added up despite the fact that I work out 5 days a week, I can't outwork the food. A week ago I decided to honker down and get to 135. I've gone from 154 to 150 but something just didn't feel right. I looked at my menu again and discovered my portions were not correct. I thought I was eating 300 calories of oatmeal but it was really about 420-570. I didn't realize I was using a cup instead of half a cup! I'm so bummed. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day and burn off about 200 on my treadmill a day, plus three kids 5 and under. How many calories is everyone else eating? Anyone doing 1200 and okay?
  • oh I'm 5'6 incase anyone wanted to know...I think 1200 calories should get me 2 pounds off a week right?
  • i'm 5'7 and i eat ~1800 calories per day.
    It depends on how many calories you burn while working out that you can eat more than 1200 calories per day.
    And with your current and goal weight, i'm sorry but i don't think you'll be able to lose 2lbs / week consistently. The less you have to lose, the harder it gets.
    Good luck with your journey
  • Quote: oh I'm 5'6 incase anyone wanted to know...I think 1200 calories should get me 2 pounds off a week right?
    and

1200 is the lowest you should really go. Now, I see that you don't have a lot to lose (we are at the same height with the same amt of weight to lose) and while I know the last 10 pounds are the most stubborn, you may not need to drop that low. My thoughts are, if you don't have to bottom out to lose.. why do it? Also, as you lose weight, your body may likely require fewer calories so where would you go if you're already bottomed out? You also need to figure in your activity level (I'm sure with 3 little ones you aren't just sitting around ).

I'm in the middle of thwarting a re-gain. I gained almost 15 pounds from my original goal of 135 and am losing slowly, but surely. I walk for an hour 5 days a week, do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week with 3-4 days of strength training. I gained 2 pounds and topped off at 150 when I started out (which is typical after I've been off-plan, but I got married so I had an excuse ), but am now starting to drop (147.5 this morning). I've been getting away with 1700-1800 calories a day. I will probably have to tweak it at some point when I get closer to goal (it's always changing, it seems).

I would mess around with it and give it a week or so. Do you know how many calories you were previously consuming? There is no set number at which we all lose- everyone is different and you might lose at 1800 or 1268... you just have to try it out. But my advice isn't to bottom out if you don't have to, especially if you are active- you need the fuel!
  • Thanks for the info....I think I was eating way too many before, probably about 1600-1800 daily. I'm thinking I'll settle in at 1300 and work out a bit less. I think I'm exhausting my body, my knees are always hurting. My 3 kids keep me so busy......and I'm going to start taking a multivitamin. I'm just going to have to hang in there and keep pushing till I hit 135. Thanks for responding guys, I've kept this a private matter and it's great to be able to get feedback from others...
  • Quote: Thanks for the info....I think I was eating way too many before, probably about 1600-1800 daily. I'm thinking I'll settle in at 1300 and work out a bit less. I think I'm exhausting my body, my knees are always hurting. My 3 kids keep me so busy......and I'm going to start taking a multivitamin. I'm just going to have to hang in there and keep pushing till I hit 135. Thanks for responding guys, I've kept this a private matter and it's great to be able to get feedback from others...
    Not a problem. That's what we're all here for- to bounce stuff off of

What kind of stuff are you eating? That could be the problem. If you feel run down and are "exhausting your body" you may not be doing your body any good by cutting calories. Sometimes our bodies have a way of holding onto weight when they are worn down or stressed out as to preserve energy. Your body runs so much more efficiently when you are properly fed

Also, just remember that mutli-vitamins are just supplementary and aren't intended to replace food! Make sure you're getting the most out of your calories. Are you on a specific plan?
  • i'm 5'5'' and i have around 1400-1500 calories each day, and i think taking multivitamins has really helped with my energy levels I dont have kids, but maybe you should start taking a multivitamin and lay back on the exercise, see if your energy levels get a boost, then you can always increase your exercise again
  • I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, fat free popcorn as a snack, then a lean meat/veggie combo, then oatmeal again before going to bed....it's roughly 1300 calories. I think I'm going to def. reduce my workouts to 3 days of cardio and 2 days of strength building... my body is worn out, I was doing cardio 6 days a week.
  • Quote: ...and i think taking multivitamins has really helped with my energy levels
    Holy moly, I totally agree 100%. I was just thinking about this on my way to work. I remembered that I used to be extremely tired--so tired that I felt like if I closed my eyes for a second, I would fall asleep. On the way home from work was the same and throughout the day I was just in a daze.

I started taking the GNC Ultra-Mega Multi V's and have noticed that I'm not tired like I used to be. I can wake up in the morning halfway alert and I don't feel like I'm going to fall asleep at my desk during the day.

So yes, try the multi-vitamins! I was skeptical, but now I am amazed! Amazed at this because I have been stalling on starting a regular exercise program, so just adding in these vitamins--wow, what a change for me.
  • same here! It got to the point where i just oculdnt get out of bed before 10am either. I take a vitamin B combination, and a women's multi. It could just be placebo....but who cares as long as it works