Spaghetti Squash Deep-Dish Italian Pie

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I don't know why I waited till now to make this, but DH & I loved it. I did forget to bake the "crust" first, but it turned out great anyway. I used sauteed onions, red peppers & garlic as toppings. Next time I may try a meat topping and vary the veggies. This will become a regular dinner like the Taco Bake.
  • Yummy!!
    I made this last night & my husband & I both loved it! I topped our pizza pie with turkey pepperoni, black olives, mushrooms & mozzarella. This will definitely become a regular dish! Thank you for posting!
  • I usually end up using half a squash when I make this in the winter. It seems like the only squash in our market this time of year are huge.

We make this a lot, and I'm all set now, but the first few times I put the cooked squash in my pie plate to see how much I'd need and then took it back out, mixed it with the egg and cheese and put it back into the plate again.
  • WOW, this was WONDERFUL. Exactly what I was looking for. I used most of the Spaghetti Squash but put some aside so I didn't over fill it. I went the simple route and just did sauce, ground turkey and cheese.. and it was to die for. When I was cooking the ground turkey I used some chili powder, so when it was baking with the sauce under it, it made it into a bbq tasting flavor.. so this tasted like a BBQ Chicken Deep Dish Pizza.. oh yeaaaah!

• FYI, when I made this (delish, btw), I put the crust in the oven at 300 degrees for about 45 mins, then upped the temp to 350 for another 30 mins. Crust wasn't soggy in the least (even with the water from the mounds of veggies I used in part 2) - it even shrank a bit in the pan... Also, I used a whole spaghetti squash (about 700g, not sure of cups), 2 eggs worth of egg substitute, 1 oz of parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a 9x13 in pan -worked really well.
  • Made this tonight with a couple tweaks. I strained the squash before mixing in the egg and cheese. I also added fresh basil and garlic to the mixture. I used a larger dish to bake so the "crust" was thinner. Yummy!!!
  • I made this tonight - DW was in the mood for pizza, me a meatball sub. I made this per the instructions (I added mrs. dash italian, garlic powder and crushed red pepper to the egg and squash before cooking), pan "fried" meatballs with the same ingredients (egg, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder and red pepper flakes) and put aside, microwaved some spinach and added a layer of spinach on top of the cooked spaghetti squash, then halved meatballs, put those on top, added the sauce then cheese on top.

It was DELICIOUS!!!!
  • I just made this and it was PERFECT.

What I had on hand:
    • 1 large spaghetti squash from my garden (yay!) - I used ~3/4 of it
    • ~ 1 cup [a lot!] homemade tomato sauce in the freezer (I think it might have had peppers and maybe carrots in it, based on smell and color. Funny that I always think I will remember what I make/freeze but I never do. I reduced the sauce a bit while the crust was baking so it wouldn't be so liquid-y)
    • 2 powdered egg whites, reconstituted (I didn't have any eggs! but these worked just fine)
    • grated parmesan/romano cheese
    • Italian herb blend, dried from the garden
    • 1/2 bag of baby spinach
    • 1 giant garlic clove
    • ~ 4 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella
    • 1/2 package veggie pepperoni
    I made it just like the recipe. I added Italian herb blend to the crust. I baked the crust at ~ 400° for 30 min. I actually took it out after about 10 or 15 min to re-position some of the sides that had slid down (I made it in a glass pie dish) and then finished the baking. It was quite dry when it was done.

Added lots of sauce, spinach pre-sauteed with garlic, then a layer of mozarella cheese, more paremesan/romano, a sprinkle of herbs and crushed red pepper, and veggie pepperoni.

The crust was absolutely perfect and the end result was completely delicious. I'm so glad I grew spaghetti squash this year and was reminded to come find this recipe!
  • WOW I made this for the first time, but I used ground turkey, zucchini, red peppers, turkey pepperoni with LF Ricotta and a tiny bit of sauce. I added a lite coating of sauce to the top and shredded LF mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. This is awesome thanks for the great idea

Chef's note (lol) I placed the crust under the broiler for 4 minutes browned and dried up the crust quite nicely! yum I may have seconds

• How have I never tried this before?!?! I just used spaghetti sauce with ground beef, put italian seasonings in the beef and squash, topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and cheese. Amazing!! (even the hubbie liked it!)
  • My hubbie and I love this too! In fact, it might be dinner tomorrow...the pork chops I had planned to cook can wait a day...