I'll vomit if I have another egg or tuna

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hmmm, you sure you're not getting eggs confused with something else? Almost all animal protein is "complete" it's the vegetable protein that can be missing amino acids.

From Wikipedia -

"Complete protein (or whole protein) is a protein that contains all of the essential amino acids for the dietary needs of humans or other animals. [1]

Common dietary sources of protein include meats, eggs, grains, legumes, nuts, and dairy products such as milk and cheese.[2] Animal sources of proteins have the complete complement of all 8-10 essential amino acids. Certain vegetable sources also contain all 8-10 essential amino acids. However, many plant sources, while not entirely void, lack one or more amino acids in large enough quantity to be considered a complete source of protein. A variety of complete proteins in the diet are one way of assuring that the body's amino acid needs are met. Complete proteins are not necessary for this, however. All the essential amino acids can be obtained on their own from various everyday plant sources, which, contrary to popular belief, do not need to be combined in the same meal according to many health organizations

Sources of complete protein:
    * Complete proteins can be found in animal foods, including meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and dairy.
    * Some plant and microbial sources also contain complete proteins, including spirulina, quinoa, soy, buckwheat, hempseed, and amaranth, among others. "
  • Quote: You can do it without growing gills or feathers!

Quote: Oh and my protein powder only has 55g of sodium per serving. So you should be able to find a decent powder that doesn't have so much sodium in it!
    I acted on impulse. I saw "soy protein isolate" and thought: "oh thats good for me!" Instead of looking at all the nutrition facts. THEN I didn't know I was buying TWO large tubs when I placed the order. *crap* It's gross, too! But cheap! $16 for the two including shipping. Worst... $16... EVER....
  • Oh thanks Glory

My general belief is that if you eat a well balanced, whole food diet, then you don't need to worry about complete or incomplete proteins. If you eat lots of processed stuff/junk then that is where you have to worry and where issues with protein can come into play.
  • How about other meats? I know that the red meats get a bad name, but if you are not a vegetarian -- really lean beef, buffalo, Ostrich and lamb are good sources of protein and not particularly awful for you -- just eat a smaller portion than the chicken if you are worried. You wouldn't want to eat them all the time, but once in a while? Why not...

I eat whole grain/low sugar/high fiber cereal mixed with 1/2 an apple and a low fat yogurt for breakfast and/or lunch a lot. Plenty of protein.

I also often have a protein bar for one or both of my daily snacks. Even just plain old Balance Bars have 15 grams of protein. Just watch the sugar in various brands of protein bars if you have trouble with carb lows.

What about other types of fish besides Tuna? I make Halibut every couple of weeks. It is expensive, but I make sure it is not an all the time kind of thing.

Everything else I thought of someone else talked about...

Edamame beans or green beans as side dish veggies.
  • I didn't see pork tenderloin mentioned or round steak.
    They're good for making fajitas.

Oh, and here's something I do with hard boiled eggs.
    Put sliced egg on a triscuit with a little shredded cheese on top and microwave for a few secs.
    My version of an egg mcmuffin
  • I just posted about my similar feelings about veggies at this moment. UGH!
  • i am SO sick of tuna, too. i don't want to open another can! sometimes for a meal i use a few ounces of low-fat cheddar cheese, which counts as a protein, a tiny bit of milk, and put it in the microwave for about a minute.. then grab some Wheat Thins and enjoy=) That's how I sometimes get my protein in when I'm too sick of eating chicken and tuna day in and day out. Good luck!
  • I do like red meats, pork, and I'm not burned out on any other kinds of fish. My dinners are pretty good, but it's the breakfast and lunch proteins I've been struggling with.
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to try some of these things.
  • One more idea I often do...when you make some red meat, pork, etc. for dinner. Make an extra portion or two. Then, the next day slice it up thin and toss it in a salad -- it makes a really good lunch. Or quickly stir fry it with some veggies. That is really yummy too. I have actually done that for breakfast before. A bit different, but tasty!
  • I didn't see low-fat (I like 2%) cottage cheese mentioned. I like it really cold for breakfast with a veggie side (pepper strips, grape tomatoes or snow peas). Different brands taste different, and I can't tolerate fat free or even 1%. So folks who don't like it may want to try a different brand or an option with a little more fat before giving up on it.
    2% cottage cheese is 65% protein 19% fat and 16% carb, giving you a little over 15 grams of protein in 1/2 cup.
  • Wow, I didn't realize cottage cheese had that much protein. I love, love, love it with peaches! I forgot about cottage cheese. Thanks!
  • I eat the Gorton's fish fillets, the Garlic Butter Tilapia is one I eat a lot of... I don't know how much sodium is in it (a lot I'm sure) and I know it's sort of processed but I can get more protein for my calories in those than a lot of other meats.

I have been eating Michelina's frozen meals for lunch and though some of them don't have meat they usually have a good amount of protein in them. (Also a lot of salt though... hmmm)

For breakfast I usually eat egg beaters and mix it with a crumbled morning star sausage patty and eat yogurt with it, or a slice of toast. Sometimes when I'm sick of egg beaters I eat Low Sugar Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal and a yogurt.

I also like Cottage Cheese but had stopped buying it because the fat-free tastes like vomit, or at least that's my opinion. Same thing with Fat Free Feta cheese. Maybe I will have to try the higher fat versions.
  • I love Gorton's Garlic Butter Tilapia! We dont eat fresh fish fast enough and the frozen stuff is so fast!
  • I eat the Gorton's fish probably 3x/week. I also eat a lot of Shrimp and not so much Chicken as I use to because the Fish and Shrimp are SO much faster.
  • Isn't tuna supposed to be limited to once or twice a week because of mercury levels? Or is that just for pregnant women? I know my comment is a bit tangential, but I don't think it's good to overdo it on the tuna. Does anyone know the recommendation for that?