What do you guys think of Macrobiotics?

• I did it for 3 months and lost 25 pounds but moved back to the states and went completely off the program. Needless to say I gained the 25 pds back in about a month

I felt great but it was very difficult. If I had someone prepare all the food then I could do it again. I had a fulltime cook so I had an unfair advantage. I lived in Jamaica so it was cheap to have a cook. I miss her

Amanda
  • I have not studied it too much but my basic understanding is that it is a diet based on long grains and beans with veggies and fruit added? Sounds healthy to me since it's pretty much what vegans eat! However if you can't stick with it then it's never going to help you lose weight.
    Could you maybe try less time intensive recipes? I am a vegan and YES some of the recipes could take a whole weekend to prepare but there are plently of quick and easy work night recipes also that get me through.
  • We'll see... Macrobiotics is complicated and you have to eat certain combinations of food and chew it 100s of times per bite (never really did that though). I didn't have that much time Some veggies are strickly off limits... like tomatoes for example
  • I went to a macrobiotic restaurant and it was interesting and the food was good. I think overall, it would be too time consuming for me although I say that without really knowing the full scope.
  • Hello Jolie!

This is my first post on 3FC. Ugh!! Marcrobiotics! I read the book "Hip Chicks Guide to Macrobiotics" cover to cover and was dead set on trying this lifestyle for myself, as it sounded like it would do amazing things for your body and well being. I even went out and bought a bunch of expensive ingredients to start cooking with...but when it came down to it, I agree with you, it's REALLY tricky and time consuming! No matter how many vinegars and oils and sugar substitutes I bought, there was always more than enough recipes I didn't have all the ingredients too. So needless to say, I gave it up as well. You're really lucky to have gotten the chance to eat like that for 3 months though! I'm glad to hear it works when practiced on a long term basis.