Wine

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Price can be irrelevant with wine given how much of the enjoyment is based on your personal palate. If you like $5 wine, then buy $5 wine. Myself, I'm more of a connoisseur and probably spend far too much on wine, but I like it and it's hobby of sorts. I've had some amazing wine in the $80-$100 range, but more often then not I wasn't paying for the bottle. I can't afford that these days. Thankfully, you can find good wine for under $15 a bottle and sometimes under $10.

raw23~ I've lived in CA, WA, and now NM and I have found good and bad wines from all three states. All of the states have wineries of some sort, although I don't think all of them are grape based wines. There are bound to be some good OK wines. Regardless, it doesn't really matter if something is deemed good or bad as long as you like it!
  • Quote:
    Just trying to expand my horizons... you know, try new things. Feel like I should be giving it a valid shot instead of trying cheap wines and thinking I dont like any wine.
    Always a good thing!

• My favorite

• Maybe have a look at what Trader Joes has. If you can pin down a person down the wine isle maybe they can make a few recommendations. I've had friends swear by the $6 wines they have.

If you shop at Costco they have 7deadly Zins their for $13... usually $18.

Going to a wine tasting with a friend can help you figure out certain characteristics of wine you like; such as dryness and fullness.

Next time you go to a restaurant and order dinner ask the server to recommend a glass of wine that would compliment your meal.

Pinot tends to be popular with men and Merlot with women.
  • I really enjoy A to Z pinot noir and their Night & Day blend. It comes from Oregon.

I also really like Jumilla reds.
  • I had a Pinot Noir over the weekend and actually liked it!!! I'm so glad. Thanks for the help!
  • Hey, and that's a good one to like! They say that Pinot Noir actually has the highest amount of antioxidants. Enjoy!
  • I worked for a wine company and have tried, literally, DOZENS of red wines and they all taste and smell like dirty gym socks to me. I don't think red wine is a taste I can acquire. I am also VERY picky about whites, I like rieslings and some Rose's. My sister didn't like red wine, she started with whites and eventually moved onto reds and drinks only red now.
  • Something about red wine almost always gives me a headache. But, once in a while if I'm in the mood, I like Smoking Loon Merlot.
  • Quote:
    Something about red wine almost always gives me a headache.
    Red wines have more tannin in them, which can trigger headaches in a lot of people. Unfortunately it's the tannins that are also responsible for a large part of the anti-oxidant value in red wines.

• Quote: Red wines have more tannin in them, which can trigger headaches in a lot of people. Unfortunately it's the tannins that are also responsible for a large part of the anti-oxidant value in red wines.

Actually scientists have no idea what causes red wine headaches.

The latest studies suggest prostaglandins, a hormone like substance that can cause inflammation, are the culprit. I believe there was a study where people showed improvement with red wine headaches when given prostaglandin inhibitors. Red wine has more of these then white. Still, this has not really been proven, it's more a theory.

They have mostly ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins though. It's still a mystery.
  • Quote:
    They have mostly ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins though. It's still a mystery.
    My understanding was that tannins are still a trigger item, especially for people with migranes. I know my BIL who gets bad migraines cannot drink red wine or eat red grapes - and the common denominator there is tannin.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the studies if you have links. (Of course now, being the research geek that I am, I'm off to go look things up! )

• Quote: My understanding was that tannins are still a trigger item, especially for people with migranes. I know my BIL who gets bad migraines cannot drink red wine or eat red grapes - and the common denominator there is tannin.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the studies if you have links. (Of course now, being the research geek that I am, I'm off to go look things up! )

I guess what I should have said is they've ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins in MOST cases of red wine headaches. I thought I added a link. Oops. Here's one:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A9649C8B63

From what I understand tannins are only a trigger for people with migraines. However, if you don't have migraines, tannins are not the issue. Does your BIL have to stay away from tea and chocolate as well? They contain a fair amount of tannins as well. I have to say, that truly sucks for you BIL!

On another note, I know one person who really is allergic to sulfites and he can't eat anything. Seriously, there are so many foods with sulfites in them it's ridiculous.
  • Quote:
    Does your BIL have to stay away from tea and chocolate as well? They contain a fair amount of tannins as well. I have to say, that truly sucks for you BIL!
    Yeah. Luckily he doesn't like chocolate all that much (I know - he's a bit of a weirdo anyway! ), but he has to be very careful about what he eats and drinks. And he loooooves a good red wine.

I feel for him.

Oh, and thanks for the link!

• I drink Cabernet Sauvignon. However, wine is definitely an acquired taste. I hate sweet wines but you have to try a few to see what's most pleasing to your palate.

I say go on a wine tasting adventure for the day. Check out a few vineyards/wineries and enjoy!