Cutting out Starchy foods!

• Hi Everyone!! I am not doing so great on WW, well not bad, but I am wanting to speed up my weight loss, and I am thinking on cutting out starches, like pasta, breads, and so on, has anyone tried this?? And what do you use to make up for points, more protien obviousally right? It just seems like it will be tough to get a daily points allowance without carbs... Please fill me in on your feedback, or if anyone has tried this, maybe a sample planned day?? Thanks!!!
  • I came to a conclusion... PB or almonds or walnuts or something, right??
  • Honestly I don't cut out starches, I just cut out PROCESSED starches. Instead of white bread, I eat whole grain. I eat a potato once in a while, but a small one with the skin. I eat brown rice or wild rice instead of white rice. Etc.

• hmm maybe your right? Do u eat that at every meal??
  • Nope. I find that if I watch my carbs at night, my weight loss tends to pick up.

I try to eat the majority of my carbs during the day. I have whole grain pasta for lunch, with stir fried veggies and chicken. I have steel cut oats for breakfast, with cheese and eggs. Etc.

I am really working on adding protein to my diet right now, so the majority of my calories go to protein items, rather than carbs, but when I do have carbs, I make sure they're whole grains or complex carbs or fruit.

• FWIW my starches consist of

quiona
    sweet potatoes
    oatmeal
    whole grain bread
    you could also have
    winter squash
    peas
  • Our lists look alot alike! I eat quinoa, oatmeal(not instant) wild rice, brown rice, whole grain bread and very occasionally pasta and baked potato. Serving sizes are 1/2 cup or less. And I do not miss the other stuff or the higher serving sizes. I run 40 miles a week including my first half marathon today in 2 hours 7 minutes. So it works. Just get rid of the processed stuff, get enough protein, lots of skim milk and fruits/veggies. I swear by it.
  • I have found the greatest results by eliminating carbs completely for one week. Then introduce Low GI (glycemic index) carbs gradually. One serving for each, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Examples are Whole Grain (not whole wheat) breads, wraps, pitas (4 or 5 net carbs) add beans (garbanzo, pinto, kidney, black etc) to salads, soups etc. Try whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash. This way you get carbs, but they are the kind that are good for you and have beneficial qualities (unlike white bread). They keep your blood sugar from rising quickly and wont spike insulin levels. Those are the things that cause your body to store fat. By doing this, you can restart your bodies metabolism and lose weight quickly...you will be losing fat, not muscle also. I have been doing this for about 8 weeks now and have been losing weight, have energy, and am losing body fat and inches. Hope this helps