so it's exercise related

• I thought I would post this because it's more active. I am going to start the 30 Day Shred video by Jillian Michaels. I was wondering because it has strength in it. Should I not do it everyday? I was thinking about it before and shouldn't I wait a day in between to let the muscles rest? I haven't actually watched the video, but I don't think its like day one day two and different areas. I know you do abs specifically everyday. So any input would be appreciated!
  • 30 day shread is exactly what it says, or so i think....
    if it was supposed to have rest days wud it not be a 60 day shread....
    i did the program through June....
    it got tough but definately enjoyable....
    i mite return to another 30 days as my weight loss progresses further....
  • You are right for the 30-60 day shred, however I am not going to sacrifice the health of my muscles for just being smaller. So I am asking before I start it. So if you have done it, is it the same workout for level one everyday? Doing strength on your muscles everyday for 30 days would not be good it doesn't give them time to rest.
  • I've heard in various different places that abs are okay to do every day because they are muscles that we work so much anyways on a day to day basis. I don't know about the other stuff, but I'd guess that if it is made for 30 days its meant to be done in 30 days? Maybe there is an intro to the video where Jillian gives some more information on how to use the program effectively.
  • It is the same workout for the first ten days yes....
    i wouldnt say that the muscle exercises are too intense tho....
    it is what it says, the 30 day shred....
  • Well...
    The videos are 20-30 minutes. There is no way in heck you are doing enough strength training to require in-between breaks for your muscles, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

As far as the whole "muscle recovery" thing goes, people tend to take that a little too far. Even if you do super intense strength training and cardio for 8-12 hours a day (ie: marines or army basic training) you only get one rest day a week and nobody died or had inadequate muscles. Most everyone that goes in thin beefs up with tons of muscle during those 9 weeks, and all the fat boys build lean muscle and lose lots of jiggle. You can't tell me they compromised results from not taking a "recovery days." The only reason they gave us the one day was so we could go to religious services if we wanted, let our boots air out, and give us a chance to deep clean the barracks and our equipment. Most of the time we still did P.T. at night. There were some shin splints and lots of icy hot, and a couple of crybabies, but an in-between rest day for a 30 or 60 minute workout is really silly. Your muscles will have the other 23 hours in the day to recoup. Your body only does any heavy duty recovery when you're asleep anyway. The only reason I could possibly see for an average exerciser and dieter to have a rest day is to keep from getting burnt out or to maintain as opposed to lose weight.
  • Quote:
    The videos are 20-30 minutes. There is no way in heck you are doing enough strength training to require in-between breaks for your muscles,
    I don't know anything about the "shred" workouts, so I can't comment on that, but the above in general doesn't hold true. It is entirely possible to get enough strength training in, in 30 mins to require a 24 hour rest period for your muscles. It is absolutely possible.

Quote:
    As far as the whole "muscle recovery" thing goes, people tend to take that a little too far. Even if you do super intense strength training and cardio for 8-12 hours a day (ie: marines or army basic training) you only get one rest day a week and nobody died or had inadequate muscles. Most everyone that goes in thin beefs up with tons of muscle during those 9 weeks, and all the fat boys build lean muscle and lose lots of jiggle. You can't tell me they compromised results from not taking a "recovery days."
    I'm sorry, but the military's methods of training and building strength is an extreme one. The routines they use are meant to effect the recruit *mentally* as well as physically - both in the breaking down and building up. You cannot base the best possible way to train and build strength on what the military does.

Quote:
    an in-between rest day for a 30 or 60 minute workout is really silly. Your muscles will have the other 23 hours in the day to recoup. Your body only does any heavy duty recovery when you're asleep anyway.
    Nope. Not true. The way you build strength is by breaking down the muscle and letting it heal. It's the HEALING part that builds strength. If you don't give sufficient time to heal, then you're slowing the process, and possibly ******ing the muscles ability to grow to it's full potential.

It's just like dieting. I could drop my diet to a flat 1200 calories and drink nothing but protein shakes. Would I lose weight? Yup. Would I be doing it in the most healthy way possible and the way that would allow me to maintain the weight loss? Nope.

Building strength properly means using proper form, eating the proper foods, and allowing your muscles the proper amount of rest.

Any reputable source will tell you the same. They all recommend resting muscle groups. And when so many reliable, reputable, knowledgeable people have the same recommendation, then there is more than just a shred of truth to it.

• I wasn't saying it was the right way. She asked if she needed a rest day for the workout program. She can take one if she wants, but I was just trying to make a point that it isn't necessary. Jillian is a professional in the fitness industry and I don't think she would put out a program that would be set up in a way to cause subpar results.

"Building strength properly means using proper form, eating the proper foods, and allowing your muscles the proper amount of rest.

Any reputable source will tell you the same. They all recommend resting muscle groups. And when so many reliable, reputable, knowledgeable people have the same recommendation, then there is more than just a shred of truth to it."

I didn't say there wasn't truth to it, but they do those studies on professional ATHLETES who do intense training for hours a day and make those recommendations primarily for them, not for your average Joe who is in the gym for 30 minutes or doing a 20 minute workout tape. Granted, with conditioning you don't have the need for as lengthy recovery periods as a beginner starting from scratch, but I still think that people milk the whole "muscle rest" thing and try to make it apply where it really doesn't. Cardio, and strength training where you don't use weights (and from what i've seen weights aren't primary equipment in the 30 day shred) don't really require the same sort of 48 hour rest period that is recommended for professional body builders, but people have heard the advice out of context so they think it applies to them.

We've just got different opinions on the matter and tolerance for training. I could do 7 days straight for a few hours at a time and it wouldn't bother me at all, but that could be debilitating and exhausting to someone else of comparable conditioning and strength for a variety of reasons. I certainly see your point, but I think that the workout would give her the best results if she did it the way it was designed.

(this was edited to clarify and make the tone sound less snarky. I always forget that emotions don't convey in text, so even if I don't mean to come off as snotty, short typed answers always do.)
  • So back to The Shred itself.....

Has anyone done the video routine? Is it as challenging as the reviews say it is? I have been on 5 sites, it is rated at least a 4.5 out of 5 with 2 sites giving it a 5/5. I am gonna rent it and see if I like it.

All I know is that Jillian kicks some serious booty on Biggest Loser. If she can transform those people I know she can transform me!

As for the question of the thread. I have been reading and from what I can tell it is meant to be done everyday for 30 days. You are supposed to start with level 1 for a few days and then do level 2. Then, depending on your fitness level will determine when you proceed to level 3.

My personal decision is to work out every day. So for me, it isn't a big deal. However, only you know what is right for you. The program is meant to be done everyday. But, if you feel it is too much, you have to do what is right for your body. If you do take a break, keep in mind that the workout won't be as effective. You may not see the "fabulous" results in 30 days.

The big picture is this. You are working out. So what if you have to take a break? At least you are making the effort to do something.
  • Thanks for the responses guys. I was actually told by my trainer to have rest days. No worries though!